Zips @ EMU - Fri Feb 10th

Dr Z

1 minute ago, skip-zip said:

Maybe your recollection of the actual sequence was better than mine.  

Maybe only because I'd asked a question in the Zips quiz about who would hit the first two three pointers In the game so I really had to pay attention. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

(And we all know if a certain team from Ravenna were 21-4, the ABJ would be covering each game like the Super Bowl: an article from an actual reporter and a separate column each game from Marla comparing this team to the glory years and maybe something about how Senderoff is second coming of Stan Heath.)

Probably half my comments are about the poor coverage. Makes no sense. You have a local team, at high level, doing well. What more could the paper want.  Did I say it makes no sense.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Anyone on the ground in Ypsilanti?

I was there but my phone wasn't. Zips played well obviously. The bus trips are a lot of fun. Especially when we come away with the victory. Nice contingent of Zips fans there. Loved sitting behind the team's bench.

Well played game. Now let's go get the Rockets & flashes!

Watched the replay again this morning (have I mentioned how nice it is to be on ESPN3 finally?). I don't remember Thompson being such a dirty player. Also wondered how EMU got such a talented player. Turns out he was supposed to go to South Carolina and then decided to beat his girlfriend so that explains a lot.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/crime_police/article_083da621-6bd0-5760-87ab-fc2506491cae.html

There, I just gave the Rowdies some pretty good ammo for when he comes to the JAR in the future :ninja:

Edited by LZIp

I fully agree with your assessment, but who even reads the Columbus Beacon Journal any more.  Marla does a fine job but they cover zips a weak 5th (behind the Cavs,Buckeyes, high school, and Flashes).  When you bring it up with them (youre just another whiney Akron U fan!we have limited resources.) It wouldnt take much to sit down on a couch and watch the game on the U and do a story! Sorry to say EA is a much better writer concerning the Zips.( ironically I think they cover Akron better than Cleve state). 

I must say the announcers on the U seemed to have done their homework last night, pretty insightfull. Perhaps theyll also do the Kent game.

Edited by infofan

1 hour ago, zipfan84 said:

I was there but my phone wasn't. Zips played well obviously. The bus trips are a lot of fun. Especially when we come away with the victory. Nice contingent of Zips fans there. Loved sitting behind the team's bench.

Well played game. Now let's go get the Rockets & flashes!

I would guess that we had between 75-100 fans at the game. About 20% of total attendance in the arena.

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Nice win for the Zips.  Hopefully, a nice start to a strong finish.  That one had me worried.

I'd suspect the EMU fans are up in arms given the preseason expectations for the team.

Part of my expectations for them this season assumed Raven Lee would be playing and playing like his normal self. I do not follow them at all, but saw he did not play last night nor has he played at all multiple times this season. Not sure if it is injuries or what.

42 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Part of my expectations for them this season assumed Raven Lee would be playing and playing like his normal self. I do not follow them at all, but saw he did not play last night nor has he played at all multiple times this season. Not sure if it is injuries or what.

Apparently, Lee was suspended for a violation of team rules at some point.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

If you can figure out their zone, there's nothing they can do to stop you.

Not much to figure out.  It's the same 2-3 every play.  You just have to be disciplined in the way you attack it.  Luckily for us, we have a beast that we can post at the foul line and can pass the ball.  

On 2/10/2017 at 9:59 PM, wadszip said:

The love fest for TDM is way premature. Outside of his bank 3, and knocking a ball off Toney, he was horrible. He's just too small, can't penetrate and frankly isn't a D1 player right now. Maybe, he can be a solid rotational player down the road, but for some of the hate Robotham gets, he is easily twice the player at this point.

I like TDM. Several times this season, when the starting guards are heaving bricks, he's entered and hit a "3" or two to help us weather the drought. He was playing with only one good eye for the better part of two weeks in January and acquitted himself fairly well. 

I've seen him penetrate the paint and make some nice passes. He's a good ball handler.

EMU was probably his worst game of the year, but usually he provides us some good minutes, and an offensive spark. Which is tough to do when you're a Freshman getting only a handful of game minutes per night.

I see Robotham throwing away that late-game inbounds pass against Ball State...it would have cost us the game if not for Big Dog's heroics...and I see TDM isn't the only one making pressure-related mistakes. 

There's plenty of sub 6-foot guards playing excellent basketball.  Ohio native Keon Johnson is 5' 7", and just became Winthrop's all time leading scorer. Isaiah Thomas is tearing up the NBA at 5' 9". I'm a TDM fan. I like what he's shown thus far, and I like is potential too.

• Like 1

More than anything else, I think Tavian is just in a tough situation right now.  We have two very experienced Juniors who can play the point.  I'm guessing that it will take until those "cupcake" OOC games next year before he can record enough playing time to show if he can really contribute at this level.  

• 1 month later...