Zips @ EMU - Fri Feb 10th

Dr Z

There is still time to join your fellow Zips fans at the game Friday. 

http://www.gozips.com/zfund/events/2017/EMU_MBB_Bus_trip

Men's Basketball Bus Trip to Eastern Michigan

Travel with Akron men's basketball on the road this winter to Ypsilanti, Michigan to cheer on the Zips in their match-up against MAC rival, Eastern Michigan.

***PLEASE NOTE DATE CHANGE TO FRIDAY*** 
*** Date: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2017***

Game Time: 7:00 PM

Bus Departure Time: 2:00 PM 
(Free parking will be available in the East Campus Parking Deck located on 188 Spicer St.) 

Departure Location: James A. Rhodes Arena

Cost: $50 (Includes transportation, game ticket, and dinner)

Space is limited, so reserve your spot today by filling out the form below!

If you have any questions, please contact Jami Shimada at 330-972-7142 or jms588@zips.uakron.edu.

Edited by Hilltopper

Have you heard our coach talk about how it messes up the practice and school schedules too?  It's hurting everyone.  

We're in an era where the gap between the public and private money needed to run a D-1 athletic program is widening.  All of this inconvenience is for the sake of some TV revenue, and unfortunately we have no choice.  

I'm sure my wife and I are not the only ones who have had to alter work and appointment schedules, or have simply been unable to alter them.  

I can live with a game here or there getting flexed, but I'm wanting to say we've had 5 home conference games altered. Three Saturday games moved to Friday and 2 Tuesday games played before the normal 7PM time slot. I wish there was some sort of cap. I see other MAC schools are able to get home Saturday games on national TV. Why do we get the short end of the stick?

• Like 1

I would love to see some viewing statistics from all the televised games. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Personally I haven't seen this much Zips basketball since Ball and Bosley played (I lived in Akron then). Now, even if I have a scheduling conflict, I watch the game the next day on ESP3 replay. I would like to see those numbers too. Are those even available?

8 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Why do we get the short end of the stick?

Because the Zips are the best team, and hopefully create the most viewers for advertisers. 

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

I would love to see some viewing statistics from all the televised games. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Personally I haven't seen this much Zips basketball since Ball and Bosley played (I lived in Akron then). Now, even if I have a scheduling conflict, I watch the game the next day on ESP3 replay. I would like to see those numbers too. Are those even available?

Because the Zips are the best team, and hopefully create the most viewers for advertisers. 

I get why our games get picked up. I was referring to how other MAC schools are able to have their cake and eat it to by getting national TV games on Saturdays (Ohio last Saturday and Toledo this Saturday), meanwhile, all of ours had to get flexed to Friday.

Edited by kreed5120

Let's hope EMU doesn't rescue its disappointing season with a win over the Zips.  Many saw EMU as the class of the west and the primary competition to the Zips for the MAC title, but they now stand at 5-6 in the MAC and 13-11 overall,

The schedule changes are a symptom of the Zips' success I'm afraid.  I'll bet Miami's schedule has been rock solid!  I feel bad for the staff that did all of the prep work for the Saturday bus trip to have it yanked out from under them.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I get why our games get picked up. I was referring to how other MAC schools are able to have their cake and eat it to by getting national TV games on Saturdays (Ohio last Saturday and Toledo this Saturday), meanwhile, all of ours had to get flexed to Friday.

That's a good point.  Why are OUR games seemingly getting shifted from Saturday to Friday, while others are getting to stay on Saturday and are still on TV ?  

It's been a long time now since I've said anything regarding the theory that Akron is treated like the young forgotten stepchild of the MAC.  But, they are definitely making it harder on us.  And if they are doing it because we're the class of the league this year, and they are trying to make it a little harder on us and rescue a little parity, that would be completely bogus.  

On the flip side, the teams playing us are also getting screwed.  So I guess that evens out.   Then maybe we get an extra day of rest if our Tuesday opponent plays on Saturday.   We play Toledo Tuesday but they play Saturday.   Maybe a benefit?   

As for the fans, I miss the Sunday afternoon games (or was it Saturday?).  Fortunately, in my house we have schedules that allow us to get to every home game no matter what the time.  But having us on ESPN U and winning! And some talk from commentators about our being a top mid major is worth the switch.

Edited by NWAkron

1 minute ago, NWAkron said:

On the flip side, the teams playing us are also getting screwed.  So I guess that evens out.   Then maybe we get an extra day of rest if our Tuesday opponent plays on Saturday.   We play Toledo Tuesday but they play Saturday.   Maybe a benefit?   

As for the fans, I miss the Sunday afternoon games (or was it Saturday?).  Fortunately, we have schedules that allow us to get to every home game no matter what the time.  But having us on ESPN U and winning! And some talk from commentators about our being a top mid major is worth the switch.

Stop it with that nonsense. The MAC is trying to screw us!

I don't think anyone is trying to screw us over intentionally, but I do think we are being screwed. There are 12 MAC schools and 9 weeks in the MAC basketball season with most weeks having only 1 Friday game. The MAC could easily schedule in a way that makes sure no MAC team loses more than 2 home Saturday games.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I don't think anyone is trying to screw us over intentionally, but I do think we are being screwed. There are 12 MAC schools and 9 weeks in the MAC basketball season with most weeks having only 1 Friday game. The MAC could easily schedule in a way that makes sure no MAC team loses more than 2 home Saturday games.

I repeat, The MAC does not have control over which games are played on Saturday vs Friday. The TV contracts they signed dictate the scheduling. The powers that be feel that the additional TV exposure is worth the hassle. 

8 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

I repeat, The MAC does not have control over which games are played on Saturday vs Friday. The TV contracts they signed dictate the scheduling. The powers that be feel that the additional TV exposure is worth the hassle. 

You mean the TV deal that the MAC negotiated with ESPN? I'd definitely say the MAC has some say, but they choose to not negotiate any stipulations or restrictions.

You'd certainly know more than I if Dambrot and the players prefer to play on a Friday in front of a national TV audience or on a Saturday in a more filled JAR. As a fan I don't like it and clearly I'm not the only one.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

You'd certainly know more than I if Dambrot and the players prefer to play on a Friday in front of a national TV audience or on a Saturday in a more filled JAR. As a fan I don't like it and clearly I'm not the only one.

I think I may have mentioned this already, but Keith has said on several occasions that the Friday games mess up his preferred weekly/daily agenda, which would include the Saturday morning walk-thru on game days.  

Eastern plays the match up zone where once we get the ball into Big Dog it was one on one with their center.  Their guards stay out on the perimeter and the forwards stay in the corner.  I look for Big Dog to have a Big night tonight.  I am hoping to see more Dunn Martin as he has been playing well.  If KD theory is that playing time is earned and not given, Dunn Martin should be playing close to 20 minutes.  I watched KD's show and he thinks that Josh is going to have a great last part of the season.  I hope he is right.  It was great that Josh had a couple of drives to the basket last  game but mainly he is a 3 point shooter.  If he could start shooting the 3 ball above 40% it would really help the team especially against the zone tonight. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I watched KD's show and he thinks that Josh is going to have a great last part of the season.  I hope he is right. 

After a couple years off, I put the show back on my DVR list this week, for some reason this is the only show on my provider that has a recording issue. It records ten different shows a week (with first run selected), shows that don't even involve the Zips, different stop times, etc. I watched this week, KD claimed that from this point forward, the goal was for Akron to be the number one defense in the MAC. After watching, I took the show back off my record list until this gets resolved. I don't hold out hope, since this has been going on for years. If anyone notices a difference, please let me know. 

Stumbled upon this podcast of Dambrot. It was done after the NIU game but before Ohio. Really doesn't provide anything new. He just states what many of us already believe. This team only plays defense when it has to and the key for it to succeed come Cleveland and potentially the NCAAT is if the Zips buy into playing the full 40 minutes at both ends of the court.

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mp3/Dambrot_02022017082207.mp3

• Like 1