Zips @ EMU - Fri Feb 10th

Dr Z

23 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

What a waste of a season for Big Mike :(

It has been sad to see how his season has gone, but I still have high hopes. My guess is that he will have a big MAC tournament. He still has plenty of time to get healthy and none of the teams will be expecting much from him. With 3 games in 3 days, Big Dog is going to need a break, so he will have a lot of opportunities.

Edited by UAZippers

Wonder if it has happened at any time this season that neither Kwan nor Big Dog led the team in either points (Utomi, 19), rebounds (Ivey, 7) or assists (Robotham, 6)?

Edit: Went back and checked and answered my own question. Nope, first time it's happened this year (although once it was only saved by Big Dog and his 8 assists).

Edited by MDZip

3 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Utomi is going to be a best. He can SHOOT, and he is both athletic and aggressive.

On the post game, KD said he expects him to be the leading scorer next year.

TDM is showing he is a rookie. Good player, but maybe not quite ready for crunch time, makes some bad mistakes, time will tell.

The love fest for TDM is way premature. Outside of his bank 3, and knocking a ball off Toney, he was horrible. He's just too small, can't penetrate and frankly isn't a D1 player right now. Maybe, he can be a solid rotational player down the road, but for some of the hate Robotham gets, he is easily twice the player at this point.

Utomi, on the other hand, is legit. His game is gradually improving in front of our eyes. He still was on fire from three, but his willingness to put the ball on the floor when pushed off the line, and even posting up a bit, is what I think is the turning point for him. He's got way too good of a basketball body and skills to simply be a spot up shooter. While he's played that shooting role better than anybody could've expected, I love that he's beginning to expand his game while still playing the role he is most needed to perfection.

Also, thought Ivey played a very nice game. He's starting to really knock down the corner threes, and he continues, by far, to be the team's best perimeter defender. He did a great job tonight, IMO, of getting those hockey assists. EMU left him alone in the corner in the zone all night and not only did he knock down a couple 3s from down there, he also made quite a few "simple" plays that set up an open look. Like Utomi, his game continues to grow.

Overall, a very disciplined offense game all around (outside the press at the end ... which I was yelling, "Just get the ball in Antino's hands").

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

The announcers said that Big Dog is the grandson of Walter Johnson, of the Browns. Interesting, around 1968 or 69 he came to our Frat house and gave a (paid) presentation.

That kid certainly has the big size gene!

One tough SOB!  Big Walter lost part of a finger from frost bite suffered in a game in Green Bay.

When just about any D-1 team that shoots a lot of 3-balls hits 52% they are probably going to win easily.

But something else really got my attention last night.  It's the 22 Assists vs. 9 Turnovers.  We really played team basketball last night, and only went through a rough patch when we surrendered that double digit lead right before halftime.  

I got the feeling last night that once Kwan started shooting well, everyone stated hitting.  I actually can't believe that I am implying that when Kwan starts hitting long balls, he gives everyone else more confidence that they can do the same.   And I still can't believe that he has the green light from 30' out.  But what can a coach do when they go in?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I got the feeling last night that once Kwan started shooting well, everyone stated hitting.  I actually can't believe that I am implying that when Kwan starts hitting long balls, he gives everyone else more confidence that they can do the same.   And I still can't believe that he has the green light from 30' out.  But what can a coach do when they go in?  

I noticed Kwan getting his rhythm back seemed to directly impact Noah's confidence as well.  I wish it had the same effect on Josh.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

(And we all know if a certain team from Ravenna were 21-4, the ABJ would be covering each game like the Super Bowl: an article from an actual reporter and a separate column each game from Marla comparing this team to the glory years and maybe something about how Senderoff is second coming of Stan Heath.)

11 hours ago, UAZippers said:

It has been sad to see how his season has gone, but I still have high hopes. My guess is that he will have a big MAC tournament. He still has plenty of time to get healthy and none of the teams will be expecting much from him. With 3 games in 3 days, Big Dog is going to need a break, so he will have a lot of opportunities.

i wonder if "getting healthy" is even the issue anymore.  He started playing again a week ago.  

Here's what I'm seeing:  Keith has already talked in interviews about how much he likes Poke's defense.  He's even shown enough confidence in him to switch Big Dog and Poke on offense/defense at the end of close games.  He even talked last night about how much better he'll be next year with another 15 lbs.  

I think it could very well be that playing Big Dog for 32 and Poke for 8 might be how he is choosing to play the 5 Spot for right now.  And this doesn't change my mind about Mike's potential to still help us this year.  But I really believe that Keith is just going with the guy who he feels is the better option right now.  

11 hours ago, wadszip said:

The love fest for TDM is way premature. Outside of his bank 3, and knocking a ball off Toney, he was horrible. He's just too small, can't penetrate and frankly isn't a D1 player right now. Maybe, he can be a solid rotational player down the road, but for some of the hate Robotham gets, he is easily twice the player at this point.

Utomi, on the other hand, is legit. His game is gradually improving in front of our eyes. He still was on fire from three, but his willingness to put the ball on the floor when pushed off the line, and even posting up a bit, is what I think is the turning point for him. He's got way too good of a basketball body and skills to simply be a spot up shooter. While he's played that shooting role better than anybody could've expected, I love that he's beginning to expand his game while still playing the role he is most needed to perfection.

Also, thought Ivey played a very nice game. He's starting to really knock down the corner threes, and he continues, by far, to be the team's best perimeter defender. He did a great job tonight, IMO, of getting those hockey assists. EMU left him alone in the corner in the zone all night and not only did he knock down a couple 3s from down there, he also made quite a few "simple" plays that set up an open look. Like Utomi, his game continues to grow.

Overall, a very disciplined offense game all around (outside the press at the end ... which I was yelling, "Just get the ball in Antino's hands").

Agree 100% on your TDM and Utomi takes.

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Kwan was one of the last to get going in the game. 5 other players hit a three before he did (even he really heated up after that). Maybe the rest of the team gave him his confidence back? :)

• Like 1