What do you think about this Buffalo fan?

Buffalo Student Blogger  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

This may be unpopular here but it's the same 20 losers that were there when I was in school 10 years ago. Get out of the student section and maybe people won't think it's uncool to go down there

Seems like we might have some John Blutarsky types hanging around?   At least John was cool and was looked up to as a leader.  

If this is keeping the Rowdies Organization from expanding right now, then it needs to be addressed.   

7 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Honest to God they have to be nearing 35. I thought they were seniors and in charge of the Rowdies in the fall of 2007 when I joined. And they're still there

Maybe this is the down side of having an organized student group.  You end up knowing these people.  You decide if you want to be seen with them based on whether they are cool or uncool.   

When we gathered in the bleachers back in the mid-80's, we'd see the same people all the time, but we didn't really know them.  We didn't care if they were part of the cool crowd or not.  We were together for 2 hours a couple of days a week to yell at officials, harass opponents, and make noise because we had just all been consuming tons of cheap canned beer.  

Don't college kids just want to take a break from schoolwork and get out and have a little fun anymore?  it really matters that much if they think its a "cool group" or an "uncool group"?  It's a basketball game.  

Edited by skip-zip

10 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Don't college kids just want to take a break from schoolwork and get out and have a little fun anymore? 

Speaking as someone whose been a student within the past decade, trust me they do take breaks from schoolwork and go out and have fun. Back 20-30 years ago from the way you word it sounds like that was going to a basketball game. Today that's not the case.

Balsy and I have tried numerous times explaining why students don't go to games anymore, or at least in the numbers they once supposedly. But it always results in someone who went to school 30 years ago going on about how back in his day he'd would walk uphill 10 miles both ways in 3 feet of snow to attend games. Times have changed. Going to live sporting events isn't as popular as it once was. Attendance numbers are down a crossed the board for pretty much all sporting events boys at the college and pro level. 

Edited by kreed5120

8 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Back 20-30 years ago from the way you word it sounds like that was going to a basketball game. Today that's not the case.

No need to have a debate over how interested today's college students might be about going to their school's basketball games, vs. years ago.  But kids are definitely still going to  basketball games.  

I'm sorry.  We have a school with 26,000 students.  And I see 10 of them standing and making noise in the corner near the baskets.  That's unfathomable.  Regardless of the cause, that has to change.  

What would it take?  Maybe 100 kids to fill those two small sections and still leave enough room for the band?  I'll do the math.  That's .0003% of the student population.  There's no excuse that covers that.  There's a multitude of easy ways to get that accomplished for the last few home games, and I bet nobody will do it.   

We offer scholarships to student "leaders," don't we?  Use them.  

I've mentioned this before, but Hoban has an outstanding student section.  So do Hudson, STVM, Jackson & Lake.  I'm sure there are other area high schools with great student sections.  Recruit UA students who were former leader of those student sections & have them round up their hs friends who are also UA students & get a great, choreographed student section going.  So many great high schools in the immediate region, getting a great student group together at UA should be a piece of cake.  Honestly, you'd think it would happen naturally.

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

No need to have a debate over how interested today's college students might be about going to their school's basketball games, vs. years ago.  But kids are definitely still going to  basketball games.  

I'm sorry.  We have a school with 26,000 students.  And I see 10 of them standing and making noise in the corner near the baskets.  That's unfathomable.  Regardless of the cause, that has to change.  

What would it take?  Maybe 100 kids to fill those two small sections and still leave enough room for the band?  I'll do the math.  That's .0003% of the student population.  There's no excuse that covers that.  There's a multitude of easy ways to get that accomplished for the last few home games, and I bet nobody will do it.   

I've already stated the kids are too far away from the action. It makes it easy for them to be distracted by their phone and other things. If they were closer, they'd feel more apart of the game. Unfortunately there is no good way of doing that the way the JAR was built. It also doesn't help that every time the fans do get into the game a timeout gets called and Akron kills its own momentum with a lame promotion (dress like a zip, hippity hop race).

2 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It makes it easy for them to be distracted by their phone and other things. If they were closer, they'd feel more apart of the game. 

I would have to respectfully disagree with this. I usually sit pretty close to the floor, by the Rowdies end. During the last few games, I noticed the majority of the kids in that section were constantly on their phones or otherwise engaged in talk amongst themselves. Basically not paying attention to the game. At the BSU game, there were about 4 or 5 guys who did make noise, harass officials and opposing players and actually were pretty fun to watch. The rest of them sat there looking like they were at a funeral or something. Someone has a big head of Big Dog and not once was it displayed. All that, plus the much older guys who sat there on their hands the whole time, left me quite a bit disappointed.

1 minute ago, 3rd&twenty said:

I would have to respectfully disagree with this. I usually sit pretty close to the floor, by the Rowdies end. During the last few games, I noticed the majority of the kids in that section were constantly on their phones or otherwise engaged in talk amongst themselves. Basically not paying attention to the game. At the BSU game, there were about 4 or 5 guys who did make noise, harass officials and opposing players and actually were pretty fun to watch. The rest of them sat there looking like they were at a funeral or something. Someone has a big head of Big Dog and not once was it displayed. All that, plus the much older guys who sat there on their hands the whole time, left me quite a bit disappointed.

Well that's disappointing. Back in my day (5-10 years ago) those seats were taken up by the most vocal fans.

56 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

We offer scholarships to student "leaders," don't we?  Use them.  

I've mentioned this before, but Hoban has an outstanding student section.  So do Hudson, STVM, Jackson & Lake.  I'm sure there are other area high schools with great student sections.  Recruit UA students who were former leader of those student sections & have them round up their hs friends who are also UA students & get a great, choreographed student section going.  So many great high schools in the immediate region, getting a great student group together at UA should be a piece of cake.  Honestly, you'd think it would happen naturally.

I don't have a clue about the scholarship thing, but I think this is a good idea.

38 minutes ago, LZIp said:

choreographed

If I were a student, this word would drive me away from that section.

I would hand out black bandannas as the only Roo Zoo "gear," and tell the students - "Here's your front row seat. Now show me how to be obnoxious, have fun and give the Zips a home court advantage!"

Nothing choreographed...just get a bunch of kids going bonkers and being obnoxious. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I would hand out black bandannas as the only Roo Zoo "gear," and tell the students - "Here's your front row seat. Now show me how to be obnoxious, have fun and give the Zips a home court advantage!"

Nothing choreographed...just get a bunch of kids going bonkers and being obnoxious. 

Is there an app for that?

26 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

As a person that has been a leader in the ROWDIES, this is one of the biggest back-and-forths we would get in. The freshman would all want to have theme nights and all of the other ideas that worked in high school. All of the older students would talk about how awful that sounded and how they had no desire to "dress up". In the end, we decided that it was not worth it to potentially gain a couple of new faces, but drive away the known quantities.

33 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I don't really have a strong opinion either way. I don;t think anyone is going to argue that Duke's student section isn't one of the greatest in the country.

Here is their "cheat sheet" from last night.

13 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I don't really have a strong opinion either way. I don;t think anyone is going to argue that Duke's student section isn't one of the greatest in the country.

Here is their "cheat sheet" from last night.

Glad you brought them up. You don't join the Cameron Crazies. You don't join the Oakland Zoo.. Maybe it's best to not have an official "club" to join. 

Edited by zippy5