Toledo @ Zips, Tuesday 2/14

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

M fanwhile Buffalo cruis sng along in Mt Pleasant.  Love my Zips but I'm a realist about how this will all play out even if we do win tonight 

I'm afraid I'm with NWAkron on this one. Buffalo Is loaded with athletes and If they put It together In the mac tourney, watch out.

I thought this game was well played even when the Zips were down in the second half.  I was disappointed in the way we open the game in that our first 10 shots were all 3 balls.  We need to establish an inside game playing the ball through Dog.  In the beginning of the 2nd half we had open looks but could not make a basket.

I thought Noah and Josh played great defense.  Toledo made some nice shots but they were not on dribble penetration.  In the first half their center was too quick for Big Dog.  I would have liked to see more of Utomi but it was not to be.

I thought Kwan had a great game.  When we were down by 11 he out muscled a Toledo player and then made a layup and and a 3 point play.  Our starters and Josh really played well in the clutch.  The team did a great job of getting the ball to Big Dog during our run and Toledo could not stop him.  

Somebody mentioned that when the crowd is going wild that the contest actually quiet the crowd.  It happened tonight.  The place was roaring and everybody shut up to watch them collect boxes and find Zippie.  

Finally, I thought the refs did a great job.  Very few whistles tonight until the end of the game.  The refs let the guys play and there was a little bumping but it went both ways.  The refs called traveling very closely on both teams.  Great game to watch with the crowd getting into it.  Now we have to beat Kent on Friday.  Go Zips!!!  

• Like 2

One thing to watch for the next couple of games is Antino's health. He mentioned in the post game radio interview that he almost sat out this game because of a bad toe. I never would have guessed that he was hurt from his game today, but a toe injury could really mess up a player that relies on his quickness as much as Antino.

Live by the 3, die by the 3 (almost). Didn't get to watch the game live but came home and watched the replay just fine on ESPN3 with my FireTV. I about turned it off with 10 minutes left until I finally gave in and checked twitter and saw that we came back and won.

Thoughts: Shooting 3s are fine. Forcing 3s are not. The offense looked so much better once we started running it through Big Dog like we have most of the year. It helped that he finally starting making some shots as well. Noah REALLY gets a free pass on here. I will give it to him that he is a good "floor general" (Antino is much more under control this season by the way), but he isn't great at defense and it virtually a non existent threat at all offensively right now. Missing wide open 3s and wide open bunnies.

A W is a W. The streak is still alive.  Beat Kent!

I thought the Zips had great offensive energy in the first half, but played minimal defense. And blew way too many bunnies.

Ivey and Josh stood out in half #1.

Once we were down 11, Kwan got visibly pissed off. He was a different player from there on out, as was Big Dog. Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you  get the incentive to fight back. I thought this might have been Kwan's best game as a Zip. He did what senior all MAC players are supposed to do...take over the game in the 2nd half.

The crowd really didn't want to see the home win streak end tonight. Kudos to them for stepping up. 

Noah needs to pick it up on the offensive end. No excuse for scoring zero points until the final couple minutes. Too many missed bunnies and open looks. 

DesssssperateToledoooo...why don't you come to your senses...you been chasin' those Zipses...since Humpty broke your heart...You got heart ache...and it will continue at The Q...if indeed you make it to The Q.... make it to THE Q....I hope you make it to The  Q....where we'll whip your butt...

Drive home safely everyone.

• Like 4

Zips rally behind Kwan Cheatham to drop Rockets

It’s safe to say that the slump that hit Cheatham for a three-game stretch is over. He lifted the Zips high enough on his shoulders to give them an opportunity to win.

At one point, the Rockets (13-13, 6-7 in MAC) were beating the Zips in every significant offensive category to take an 11-point lead midway through the second half.

Then Cheatham went to work...

• Like 1

I went back and looked at the play by play.  That 2nd half run where we went from 11 down to 9 up was a 26-6 run that covered about 8 minutes.  It may have been the best combined offense/defense stretch we've played all year.  

Antino's Toe:  At one point late in the game, I saw him get up off the floor and he looked like he was grimacing a bit as he started to walk.  I wondered what was up.  He said in the postgame that he thought about sitting out last night.  If that had happened, we might have lost.  But, I'm hoping the fact that he said he wanted to sit out a game to rest it indicates that it's not something chronic.  Hopefully 3 days takes care of the problem.   But, there's far worse issues one could have.  Toe injuries don't usually hamper movement too much. like an ankle injury would, but they can be very painful and irritating to play on.  

9 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I thought this game was well p nayed even when the Zips were down in the second half.  I was disappointed in the way we open the game in that our first 10 shots were all 3 balls.  We need to establish an inside game playing the ball through Dog.  In the beginning of the 2nd half we had open looks but could not make a basket.

I thought Noah and Josh played great defense.  Toledo made some nice shots but they were not on dribble penetration.  In the first half their center was too quick for Big Dog.  I would have liked to see more of Utomi but it was not to be.

I thought Kwan had a great game.  When we were down by 11 he out muscled a Toledo player and then made a layup and and a 3 point play.  Our starters and Josh really played well in the clutch.  The team did a great job of getting the ball to Big Dog during our run and Toledo could not stop him.  

Somebody mentioned that when the crowd is going wild that the contest actually quiet the crowd.  It happened tonight.  The place was roaring and everybody shut up to watch them collect boxes and find Zippie.  

Finally, I thought the refs did a great job.  Very few whistles tonight until the end of the game.  The refs let the guys play and there was a little bumping but it went both ways.  The refs called traveling very closely on both teams.  Great game to watch with the crowd getting into it.  Now we have to beat Kent on Friday.  Go Zips!!!  

Kwan's offensive put back and 3 point play turned the tide In my opinion.

I'm glad people are talking about Josh's defense last night.  He seemed to take on the challenge of picking up Toledo's point guys near half court on several occasions, and really showed some great effort.  

I've said it many times.  Lack of defensive talent can be compensated for with DESIRE.  This team simply needs to maximize what they have defensively with a little more effort.  The longer bench rotations should help.  But for God's sake, show me you can do it more frequently than just when the game is on the line !!

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Besides Noah's shots not falling, I felt he played decent. In the last 2 games he has combined for 11 assists to go with 1 turnover. Last night he held Toledo's leading scorer to 4/16 from the field. 

Keith applauded him for that defensive effort in the postgame. 

I don't remember the numbers that Steve French mentioned, but he said something about Noah having an unbelievably low number of Turnovers over the last few games.  

This is probably, like some people have suggested, not the same Noah offensively as he looked like he would be after his Freshman year.  Not sure if the injury has anything to do with it.  But for me, I just want to see him be aggressive with those open outside shots, like he was doing at the beginning of the year.  I thought he passed up several last night, and that's not the first time I noticed him putting the ball on the floor when he could take an uncontested shot.  

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Toe injuries don't usually hamper movement too much. like an ankle injury would, but they can be very painful and irritating to play on.  

I've gotta disagree with this.  Toe injuries can be almost completely debilitating.  

Didn't chronic turf toe help end Deion Sander's career?

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

This is probably, like some people have suggested, not the same Noah offensively as he looked like he would be after his Freshman year.  Not sure if the injury has anything to do with it. 

Idk if it's physiological or psychological, but I wish we still had the freshman Noah.

The positive trend on defense continued last night.  Some lapses in the first half, but by and large a solid defensive outing.

Zero minutes for Mike Hughes and Aaron Jackson last night.  I expected Jackson's minutes to decrease but when KD said he was going deeper for stronger D, I thought we might see more of him.  As for Hughes, he's either still hurting or getting back into shape, or has surprisingly fallen completely out of the rotation. 

Pogo Stick Poke keeps swatting them out of the sky!