Rob Ianello Working His Magic @ UB

Blue & Gold

8 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

I wouldn't waste a scholly on a kid that didn't deserve it.

That's a tough one.  

One thing is true: Offering a scholarship to his brother potentially has tons of benefits that go far beyond whether he ends up working out for them as a player.  I'm sure they waste plenty of other scholarships on a yearly basis that don't produce nearly the benefits that this one could produce.  

• 4 years later...

Making the heroic assumption that I'm not the last guy to figure this out, I offer the following.

When a head football coach leaves a mid-major school to assume the head coaching job at a P5  school, how can he reward a bad coach for loyalty and, at the same time, remove the bad coach from a coaching position?

Make him a general manager. I figured this out while reviewing the new football staff positions  at Kansas.

On 2/13/2017 at 10:06 PM, skip-zip said:

One thing is true: Offering a scholarship to his brother potentially has tons of benefits that go far beyond whether he ends up working out for them as a player.  I'm sure they waste plenty of other scholarships on a yearly basis that don't produce nearly the benefits that this one could produce.  

Depends on how good he is. If nobody has heard of him, how good can he be?

It's one thing to waste a scholarship on a player you thought could turn out to be good. Even schools like Alabama make mistakes. It's another to waste a scholarship on a player that is an almost certain bust. Good programs are not built on wasting scholarships on highly questionable players. Far too many schools have wasted too many scholarships over the years for "political" reasons. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college athletics and scholarships are how teams go about getting players. Scholarships cannot be wasted. Success is not easy and difficult choices have to be made. All of this will blow over for UB. They will be in much bigger trouble if they have several losing seasons in a row.

In closing, this kid's brother is a highly paid NFL player with the resources to afford to pay for his brother to attend UB as a walk-on. Let him put his money where his Twitter feed is.

14 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Depends on how good he is. If nobody has heard of him, how good can he be?

It's one thing to waste a scholarship on a player you thought could turn out to be good. Even schools like Alabama make mistakes. It's another to waste a scholarship on a player that is an almost certain bust. Good programs are not built on wasting scholarships on highly questionable players. Far too many schools have wasted too many scholarships over the years for "political" reasons. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college athletics and scholarships are how teams go about getting players. Scholarships cannot be wasted. Success is not easy and difficult choices have to be made. All of this will blow over for UB. They will be in much bigger trouble if they have several losing seasons in a row.

In closing, this kid's brother is a highly paid NFL player with the resources to afford to pay for his brother to attend UB as a walk-on. Let him put his money where his Twitter feed is.

It took you over four years to come up with that reply!

Come on, you are better than that.

26 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

It took you over four years to come up with that reply!

Come on, you are better than that.

Not when I'm feeling highly disinterested with time to waste. 

• 2 months later...