Matt Kaulig (Racing) Former Zips QB

Section210Zip

Former Zips QB and owner of LeafFilter and Kaulig Racing was on "The Morning Drive" SiriusXM, Nascar channel 90. The introduced him as former Akron Zip's Qb. They spent a good part of the begging of the segment talking Zips football. Matt talked about being recruited by Jerry Faust. He also talked about the program being in a good place under Terry Bowden and about winning the Potato Bowl. You can listen to this on demand if you have a SiriusXM account.

For those of you that don't know, LeafFilter has been a sponsor in the Nascar Nationwide series since 2015. In 2016 Matt start his own team, Kaulig Racing that fields the 11 car. They actually made it to the playoffs and advanced to the 2nd round last year. Kaulig Racing has a technical alliance with Richard Childress Racing who fields the 3 car in the Cup series formally driven by the legend Dale Earnhardt sr.

• Like 1

As a Zips QB, Matt might be best known to us "veterans" as the guy who stepped in for an injured Marcel Weems in the final game of the season in 1992 to lead us to a road victory at Cincinnati.  

As most of you know, that win gave Gerry and the boys their 7th win of the season that year, and that 7-3-1 record still stands today as the best win/loss percentage season in our D1-A history.  

• Like 1

Matt and his company also sponsor the football golf outing each year. 

I had no idea about his involvement in NASCAR. Pretty cool. Paint scheme needs a Roo! 

In 2015, LeafFilter™ Gutter Protection continued its relationship with Blake Koch as the primary sponsor of the No. 8 LeafFilter Gutter Protection Toyota Camry. Just one year later, in 2016, LeafFilter’s Owner and President, Matt Kaulig, decided to build his own full-time American stock car racing team, Kaulig Racing. Setting the team up for success early on, Kaulig Racing joined forces with Richard Childress Racing to create a technical alliance, including the use of ECR Engines. With a familiar face behind the wheel, Kaulig Racing chose Blake Koch to pilot the No. 11 LeafFilter Gutter Protection Chevrolet Camaro for the 2016 NXS.

LeafFilter-Racing-Sponsors-Blake-Koch.jpg

The Zips also got tv time last year in the elimination race before the championship race. Blake almost advanced and it was a big story of an underdog team competing against the big boys. During the broadcast they said the owner was a former division 1 qb and the team is using football lingo for their strategy as a solute to Matt. They then played some audio of the team and went on to explain how Matt played qb for the Akron Zips and told his story.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2017 at 11:35 PM, zippy_ua_00 said:

I know Matt personally. Such a good dude. He's at every game when he's not flying his jet to the races. Payed for all of the new unis 2 years ago. One of the nicest guys.

Did he really?  Wow, didn't know that.  That is top drawer.  I respect him even more, becasue he did it quietly....I agree, good dude.

• 4 months later...

Matt Kaulig is the A-1, numero uno advocate for UA.  We need more successful grads to show the pride that this man does for his Alma Mater.  I have never heard anything but good things about him and I hope I can meet him some day to tell him thank you for his support.

Edited by K92
fixing my spelling mistake.

11 minutes ago, K92 said:

Matt Kaulig is the A-1, numero uno advocate for UA.  We need more successful grads to show the pride that this man does for his Alma Mater.  I have never heard anything but food things about him and I hope I can meet him some day to tell him thank you for his support.

Kauligflower?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Matt has a new driver this year, Ryan Truex, brother of Monster Energy (NASCAR's top division) Martin Truex Jr., will pilot the LeafGuard Chevy Camaros.

I hope to see both at Michigan this year.

• 7 months later...

For all road trips this fall, the Zips will don new travel attire, featuring navy blue blazers, white button-down shirts, khaki pants, and blue-and-gold striped ties.  

“Thanks to the generosity of one of our most successful entrepreneurial football alums, former QB Matt Kaulig (1992-95), owner of LeafFilter and Kaulig Racing, we were able to purchase travel suits for our entire football team,” head coach Terry Bowden said. “We call this program ‘Dressed for Success’ and one of our graduate assistants Sean Levy has been in charge of putting it together. Not only does it allow our players to represent the University of Akron in a very classy way on road trips, but I am amazed at how proud our players feel when they all dress so nicely for our trips. One of the rewards our players will receive is when they graduate, they will get to take their suit with them and hopefully wear on their first job interview.”

“JCPenney Commercial is absolutely ecstatic to partner with the University of Akron’s football team for the 2018-19 academic year,” said Michael H. Brownlee, JCPenney Commercial national account manager. “This will mark the first year that JCPenney will be partnering with the University of Akron to outfit the entire football team with travel day suits and accessories to make sure they are stylish, confident, and GAMEDAY ready! We all know that when you look great, you perform GREAT! Coach Bowden and the University of Akron football staff have been awesome to work with, and we truly cherish the relationship we’ve built since the inception of this program. We look forward to a fantastic year of great football for the Zips and nurturing this amazing partnership for years to come!”

suit.jpg

Photo: by @ZipsFB

• Like 5

On 2/16/2017 at 5:38 AM, Dr Z said:

Matt and his company also sponsor the football golf outing each year. 

I had no idea about his involvement in NASCAR. Pretty cool. Paint scheme needs a Roo! 

In 2015, LeafFilter™ Gutter Protection continued its relationship with Blake Koch as the primary sponsor of the No. 8 LeafFilter Gutter Protection Toyota Camry. Just one year later, in 2016, LeafFilter’s Owner and President, Matt Kaulig, decided to build his own full-time American stock car racing team, Kaulig Racing. Setting the team up for success early on, Kaulig Racing joined forces with Richard Childress Racing to create a technical alliance, including the use of ECR Engines. With a familiar face behind the wheel, Kaulig Racing chose Blake Koch to pilot the No. 11 LeafFilter Gutter Protection Chevrolet Camaro for the 2016 NXS.

LeafFilter-Racing-Sponsors-Blake-Koch.jpg

I had no idea nascar had a playoff system.  Maybe if Matt's team ends up one game short of making the playoffs they can schedule a late season game against the Huskers.

5 hours ago, Dr Z said:

For all road trips this fall, the Zips will don new travel attire, featuring navy blue blazers, white button-down shirts, khaki pants, and blue-and-gold striped ties.  

“Thanks to the generosity of one of our most successful entrepreneurial football alums, former QB Matt Kaulig (1992-95), owner of LeafFilter and Kaulig Racing, we were able to purchase travel suits for our entire football team,” head coach Terry Bowden said. “We call this program ‘Dressed for Success’ and one of our graduate assistants Sean Levy has been in charge of putting it together. Not only does it allow our players to represent the University of Akron in a very classy way on road trips, but I am amazed at how proud our players feel when they all dress so nicely for our trips. One of the rewards our players will receive is when they graduate, they will get to take their suit with them and hopefully wear on their first job interview.”

“JCPenney Commercial is absolutely ecstatic to partner with the University of Akron’s football team for the 2018-19 academic year,” said Michael H. Brownlee, JCPenney Commercial national account manager. “This will mark the first year that JCPenney will be partnering with the University of Akron to outfit the entire football team with travel day suits and accessories to make sure they are stylish, confident, and GAMEDAY ready! We all know that when you look great, you perform GREAT! Coach Bowden and the University of Akron football staff have been awesome to work with, and we truly cherish the relationship we’ve built since the inception of this program. We look forward to a fantastic year of great football for the Zips and nurturing this amazing partnership for years to come!”

suit.jpg

Photo: by @ZipsFB

Awesome