PCCC @ Zips, Friday 2/17

clarkwgriswold

Terrible terrible terrible. This team each game is convincing me they aren't as good as their record may indicate. Can't put these terrible Mac teams away and especially Kent on your home court. 3 terrible losses, 0 good wins. I've seen this story before and know how it plays out. We win at BG by a couple go to Canada and lose, beat Miami by a couple after blowing a big 2nd half lead like we do in most games, lose at Kent. Get knocked out in Cleveland and go to some P5 school and lose in the 1st round of the NIT. It's so frustrating watching this team. Why is a guy who is ice cold from 3 and pretty cold for the last few games taking a 28 ft 3 at the end of the game to tie it? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bUAkronG said:

Down 3 with 12 seconds left and we have Kwan taking a deep 3? I suppose if it goes in we are all cheering but I'm not sold on the call. Not the smartest shot selection. But c'est la vie. Live by the three, die by the three. 

I didn't mind it. Plan A was obviously a quick two earlier but it didn't pan out. I'd give it to Kwan every time if we need a 3 to stay alive.

Okay maybe Utomi. Has he missed in this calendar year?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zippy_ua_00 said:

Terrible terrible terrible. This team each game is convincing me they aren't as good as their record may indicate. Can't put these terrible Mac teams away and especially Kent on your home court. 3 terrible losses, 0 good wins. I've seen this story before and know how it plays out. We win at BG by a couple go to Canada and lose, beat Miami by a couple after blowing a big 2nd half lead like we do in most games, lose at Kent. Get knocked out in Cleveland and go to some P5 school and lose in the 1st round of the NIT. It's so frustrating watching this team. Why is a guy who is ice cold from 3 and pretty cold for the last few games taking a 28 ft 3 at the end of the game to tie it? 

Ehhh 4/10 rant you can do better

• Like 1

Well........that was effing awful.  PCCC did a great job at protecting the ball and making plays when they had to, while the Zips couldn't shoot to save their lives and played bad perimeter defense.

That's Kwan's worst game in quite a while.

I keep waiting for a leader to step forward on this team.  Someone with a little fire that steps up in the clutch. Still......waiting.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

34 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I didn't mind it. Plan A was obviously a quick two earlier but it didn't pan out. I'd give it to Kwan every time if we need a 3 to stay alive.

Keith said in the Postgame that he thought Kwan had the best chance of getting a good 3-point look on that particular play.  And he did.  He didn't make the shot. 

I definitely didn't think that our Offense was going to be the reason for another loss this year.  I looked at the play-by-play and Kent outscored us 15-2 through the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half, before Utomi hit the two free throws.  That was the drought that decided the game.

We battled back a few times after that and got tied or a small lead, but Kent kept hitting shots right when it looked like we might be making a run.  It just wasn't our night.  

Edited by skip-zip

1 hour ago, akronzips71 said:

Utomi should have been in more. He was the only hot hand.

It seemed like Utomi played a little more than usual, and Kwan played a little less than usual.  I wonder if the actual minutes showed the same thing.  I don't know.  

EDIT:

Cheatham played 23, and Utomi played 18.  So, I think we did indeed leave the hot shooter in there, and kept Cheatham on the bench, more than usual.  

Edited by skip-zip

54 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

played bad perimeter defense.

I don't know.  Kent was 7 of 19 from 3-point range.  So, we didn't really get beat because of some torrid 3-point shooting performance.  And that Edwin kid, who hit the daggers and doubled his usual point total, has been nothing but an average 3 point shooter this year.  I think when you have to guard someone like Hall, some guys are going to get open shots.  

They actually beat us at our own game.  They played the ball into the post to Hall on almost ever play, and let him make the decision whether to shoot or get it out to a shooter.  It was textbook Akron offense, played by our opponent.  

Edited by skip-zip

Utomi was perfect 4 for 4 shooting the 3 ball while the rest of the team was 1 for 18, Kwan being the only other player to make a 3 but he was 1 for 8 on 3 point shots.  They guarded Kwan very tight up high away from the basket and I wish he would drive to the hoop.  He is quick enough to beat his man off the dribble when the guy guarding him is right in his face.   Josh, Dunn Martin and Noah were a combined 2 for 12 and nobody hit a 3 ball.   Our starting guards did not have an assist.  Kent is athletic and physical and it may have effected our outside shooting.   I thought Big Dog played well and I could see how frustrated he was at the end of the game.  I was impressed that he logged a lot of minutes and looked strong at the end of the game.

I thought Kent played well.  Hopefully, we can win at their place to end the season.  The only good point is that Utomi continues to impress and we need to find more minutes for him.  Lets rebound from this game and beat Bowling Green on Tuesday. 

2 minutes ago, bigzipguy said:

Excellent point 1981 Grad. If Kwan would have gone to the basket, he might have scored or been able to dish off for an open look.

I don't want to be overly critical here.  But, tell us how many times this year that we've successfully run a play with Kwan dribble driving to the hoop from 30 feet out? Or, dribble driving from 30 feet out, and passing the ball back out to an open shooter?  It's not the in the playbook.  Because it's a play with very little probability of working.