UConn to the MAC (football only)?

Blue & Gold

10 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I have no interest in adding UMass or UConn. That would just be 2 extra mouths to feed as both football programs stink and won't really boost revenue whatsoever.

I agree, it's a competitive landscape so why throw them lifelines without something substantial in return. However, I also wouldn't underestimate the potential for the MAC to succumb to NCAA/media politics if strings can be pulled and/or the powers that be want it to happen.

Edited by ZippyRulz

2 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

The thing your missing is Buffalo is a possible contender for filling UCONN’s place in the AAC according to CBS Sports

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/with-uconn-likely-moving-back-to-the-big-east-where-could-the-aac-turn-for-a-replacement/

OK, I admit it.  I did not realize the possibility that Buffalo (along with a bunch of other schools) could possibly replace UCONN in the AAC if UCONN decides to leave the AAC to join the ACC for all sports but football.. 

However, I don't think I'm missing the fact that no where in the article you reference is it suggested that UCONN might want to join the MAC for football.

33 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

OK, I admit it.  I did not realize the possibility that Buffalo (along with a bunch of other schools) could possibly replace UCONN in the AAC if UCONN decides to leave the AAC to join the ACC for all sports but football.. 

However, I don't think I'm missing the fact that no where in the article you reference is it suggested that UCONN might want to join the MAC for football.

I didn’t say that, i was just pointing out what everyone was missing.  I said nothing about UConn or this topic other than pointing out Buffalo is a contender for their replacement 

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

As long as we are going off topic, adding Marshall and Northern Iowa would strengthen the MAC and keep the divisions balanced.

Hmmm.  I would be very interested in seeing Northern Iowa join the MAC.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

As long as we are going off topic, adding Marshall and Northern Iowa would strengthen the MAC and keep the divisions balanced.

You could say the same about a number of schools. Illinois State would fit the MAC footprint better than Northern Iowa, and can you imagine a school like Duquesne joining the MAC if football moved to FBS and they were tired of being a second division A-10 basketball program?

23 hours ago, GJGood said:

You could say the same about a number of schools. Illinois State would fit the MAC footprint better than Northern Iowa, and can you imagine a school like Duquesne joining the MAC if football moved to FBS and they were tired of being a second division A-10 basketball program?

Interesting that you mentioned Duquesne; they play Saint Francis and Bryant every year. 

Speaking of footprints - if the 6 Ohio MAC schools were to join the Ohio Athletic Conference (I recommend two 8 team divisions) they would have a nice tight one.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 5:13 PM, Zipmeister said:

Interesting that you mentioned Duquesne; they play Saint Francis and Bryant every year. 

Speaking of footprints - if the 6 Ohio MAC schools were to join the Ohio Athletic Conference (I recommend two 8 team divisions) they would have a nice tight one.

I mentioned Duquesne because they would expand the geographic footprint but are still very much in the region, in football have played schools like Hawaii and UMass in an effort to boost the program and were a playoff team in the FCS in a city that could help as far as media market. Basketball-wise they have been situated in a conference that most see as superior to the MAC but they themselves have not been able to finish very high in the standings there. The MAC may be a better fit for them.

46 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I mentioned Duquesne because they would expand the geographic footprint but are still very much in the region, in football have played schools like Hawaii and UMass in an effort to boost the program and were a playoff team in the FCS in a city that could help as far as media market. Basketball-wise they have been situated in a conference that most see as superior to the MAC but they themselves have not been able to finish very high in the standings there. The MAC may be a better fit for them.

When the MAC extends an offer to Duquesne to join the MAC it will be one of the seven signs of the apocalypse. According to last season's-ending Kenpom ratings they would be a bottom feeder in MAC basketball and based on last season's-ending Sagarin football ratings they would probably be ranked 17th in the 13 team MAC.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...