Zips @ BGSU, Tuesday, 2/21

clarkwgriswold

18 hours ago, UAZippers said:

He was not even close to straight up. That was at least a 45 degree angle.

Sorry for getting to this so late.  But I wanted to comment on this after I looked at it several more times.  

The first thing some people need to understand is that a Charging Call does not require a defender to be standing with his arm straight up in the air.  Watch all of the charge/block calls during an entire basketball game that happen all over the floor.  That verticality that's talked about is the standard used when a guy is elevated shooting the ball, and the defender is  trying to block it.  Plus, if you look at it several times, Big Dog's arms never make contact with the offensive player anyway.  It's a moot point.  

It's 100% a charge.  He's standing still, and takes the contact from the offensive player running straight at him.  Easy call.  

Edited by skip-zip

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Sorry for getting to this so late.  But I wanted to comment on this after I looked at it several more times.  

The first thing some people need to understand is that a Charging Call does not require a defender to be standing with his arm straight up in the air.  Watch all of the charge/block calls during an entire basketball game that happen all over the floor.  That verticality that's talked about is the standard used when a guy is elevated shooting the ball, and the defender is  trying to block it.  Plus, if you look at it several times, Big Dog's arms never make contact with the offensive player anyway.  It's a moot point.  

It's 100% a charge.  He's standing still, and takes the contact from the offensive player running straight at him.  Easy call.  

I watched it also and it should have been a no call at the end of the game.  Big Dog was set.  However, we should practice these end of game situations because Kent did the same thing last year.  Coast to coast while the defender back pedals (not Big Dog) and allows him to get to the paint.  There is no way Big Dog should have been left defending in the paint. 

5 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I watched it also and it should have been a no call at the end of the game.  Big Dog was set.  However, we should practice these end of game situations because Kent did the same thing last year.  Coast to coast while the defender back pedals (not Big Dog) and allows him to get to the paint.  There is no way Big Dog should have been left defending in the paint. 

+1.  I think they teach you to "stop the ball" in 2nd, or possibly 3rd grade.

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

I watched it also and it should have been a no call at the end of the game.  Big Dog was set.  

I would have accepted that.  I don't normally like any call being made at that juncture.  Especially in this case since he really didn't even "shoot" the ball.  He ran into Big Dog, and threw the ball.  If it had been a no-call, the ball would have probably landed somewhere harmlessly, and the game can end.   But the defender who was under the basket really had no choice in this case with a full-speed, hard-charging guy entering the paint.  You have to take the charge or you're going to give up a layup, just like you would at any other juncture during the game.  

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I think they teach you to "stop the ball" in 2nd, or possibly 3rd grade.

That's true.  And therefore I often wonder why more coaches don't call for pressure in the back court in these situations.