U of Akron Zips v. SUNY at Buffalo Bulls 2/24/17

NWAkron

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Noah played a great game.  Take him off the crap list  

I didn't see anyone with him on a "crap list," but I saw multiple people saying he needed to amp up his game. They were right.

Noah had a good game tonight. Now he needs to back it up. If he plays tough at Kent, we win. If he's invisible for 33 minutes, we lose. That's the cross you bear when you're an Akron Zips point guard. If you want low expectations, play for Northern Illinois. Their fans are happy just to make it to The Q. Akron fans expect more.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I didn't see anyone with him on a "crap list," but I saw multiple people saying he needed to amp up his game. They were right.

You don't see people putting him on the "crap list" when some were calling for an inexperienced freshman Guard who plays a few minutes a game to replace him?  And another post that indicated that he should not be in the 8-man rotation?

The timing may be especially what made the comments seem strange.  He was coming off of an 11 pt. 5 assist game, and has had a stellar asst./TO ration.  I understand Akron expectations.  But I'd take that every single night from the guy who Quarterbacks a team loaded with guys who can score.  

• Like 4

KD must have really wanted this win.  Played 6 guys for over 25 minutes, with none of the next 4 playing more than 6 minutes.  I remember past years when we went 9 or 10 deep, everyone playing at least 10 minutes.   I hope depth is there when the tournament comes (the winner has to play 3 games in a few days).

29 minutes ago, tolbob said:

KD must have really wanted this win.  Played 6 guys for over 25 minutes, with none of the next 4 playing more than 6 minutes.  I remember past years when we went 9 or 10 deep, everyone playing at least 10 minutes.   I hope depth is there when the tournament comes (the winner has to play 3 games in a few days).

I think this year it's simply a case where maybe those guys in the 7-10 spots simply haven't caught up to where those guys might have been in the past.  In the postgame, it seemed that the coaches are still focused on winning games the best way we can.  But I still think we're going to see some rest time increase in these last two games.  Maybe I'm wrong.  After all, we are only going to play 2 games in the next 12 days.

But note that Keith continues to talk about guys who can help us when the tournament gets here.  All the way down to talking about how Aaron and Michael might be called on to contribute.  So, he's definitely thinking about how to best handle the 3-game stretch in Cleveland.  But also, with the return to the old format where everyone has to play all 3 days, at least everyone will equally have to share in the issue regarding fatigue.    

Edited by skip-zip

Idk. I think we'll try to win the MAC title outright Tuesday night -v- Miami & then we never want to coast against K.e.nt.  

Frankly, to win the MAC Regular Season title, it looks like we're going to have to bit the bullet & worry about the MAC Tourney when we cross that bridge.

Wish we could get a mulligan on Big Mike's season.  Jeesh.

38 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

The downside of last night is UB is looking likely to get the 4th or 5th seed and be on our side of the bracket. Though I guess we are 2-0 against them.

But wait...beating a team three times in a season is impossible, right?  Those seedings are really in flux apart from the top 2 and the bottom 3.  We could realistically end up with Western Michigan as the 4th seed and a possible semi-final opponent.  But this should be a different thread after today's games are over.  There's a simulator out there somewhere that considers all the tiebreakers.

http://playoffsimulator.com/ncaambb/mac/

Edited by NWAkron

I, like many, was critical of Noah.  That being said, the bulk of us weren't ready to give up on him.  His 5 game stretch of a total of 21 points in five games heading into the BG game had people rightfully concerned as he wasn't putting pressure on the defense.  I hope he's "back on the beam" now.  The Zips are one hell of a better team when he is.

• Like 1

I decided to take a look at something this morning.  

Everyone talks about how bad, and how good Buffalo can play.   And this is what scares me about them, and also what makes me disregard them at times.

They lost to Ball State at HOME by 15

They beat Ball State on the ROAD by 27

The lost at HOME to Kent by 13

They beat them on the ROAD by 8

There's others, but you get the idea.  In fact, it appears that our 2 games against them this year were probably their most consistent performances against the same team.  

If anyone should be alarmed about anything from our last game against them, it's the way that they can rebound.  That's often something that's not really affected by how good or how bad a team is playing.  If we have a good percentage shooting night, we can negate that.  If not, we could be in trouble.  Although we held our own in the JAR this year, they beat us on the boards by 12 in the title game last year, and 20 on Friday night.  

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I decided to take a look at something this morning.  

Everyone talks about how bad, and how good Buffalo can play.   And this is what scares me about them, and also what makes me disregard them at times.

They lost to Ball State at HOME by 15

They beat Ball State on the ROAD by 27

The lost at HOME to Kent by 13

They beat them on the ROAD by 8

There's others, but you get the idea.  In fact, it appears that our 2 games against them this year were probably their most consistent performances against the same team.  

If anyone should be alarmed about anything from our last game against them, it's the way that they can rebound.  That's often something that's not really affected by how good or how bad a team is playing.  If we have a good percentage shooting night, we can negate that.  If not, we could be in trouble.  Although we held our own in the JAR this year, they beat us on the boards by 12 in the title game last year, and 20 on Friday night.  

While very inconsistent as Skip-Zip has illustrated, this is the only team that I am really concerned about. With their athleticism, they are capable of beating anyone in the MAC. Thank goodness, they rarely seem motivated to do so.