Akron wins the MAC

akronzips71

5 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Certainly Bulletin Board material for the Red Hawks.

Has any team in the history of basketball cut down nets after a loss?

Tom Crean and his Hoosiers did it a couple years ago and were widely criticized for it. I'd hope we wouldn't if we lose. I'd also hope we wouldn't lose at home to Miami.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:25 PM, NWAkron said:

Things also get dicey for a few teams if Toledo and Western Michigan win out.  Toledo, Kent, Western, and Buffalo could end up in a 4 way tie.  Western could end up as a 3rd seed.  Whatever the case looks like we will have either Eastern Michigan (deja vu x3) or Northern Illinois as our quarterfinal match up.

I've been playing with the MAC playoff simulator a bit and if we'd like to see Buffalo, Ohio and Kent all on the opposite side of the bracket its seems like there are four key games, need Buffalo to win at Ohio, the Zips to beat Kent and Ball State to win both of theirs. That's the easiest looking path, but the first two look critical.

Edited by MDZip
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Certainly Bulletin Board material for the Red Hawks.

Has any team in the history of basketball cut down nets after a loss?

So they should cut down the nets during pregame ;) But I guess that makes it more difficult to see when the ball goes through the hoop during the game :D

5 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

http://www.mac-sports.com/tournaments/?id=65

Looks like we play at 12/12:30 next Thursday.  So put in for vacation day.

I think everyone anticipated that game time on Thursday.

But something is looking a bit different to me.  Maybe some things have changed in recent years without me noticing. 

1) A 5:30 start on Friday for the Semifinals?  I recall those games being at 7pm and 9pm.  That will be tough for people who work on Friday, because we'll have the early game. 

2) I always thought that the title game was at 6pm?

24 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I think everyone anticipated that game time on Thursday.

But something is looking a bit different to me.  Maybe some things have changed in recent years without me noticing. 

1) A 5:30 start on Friday for the Semifinals?  I recall those games being at 7pm and 9pm.  That will be tough for people who work on Friday, because we'll have the early game. 

The semifinals this year got picked up by cbssports when before they never had to cater to TV. It might make it a tad more inconvenient for Kent/Akron fans who could (planned) before conceivably make the drive after work and still make the game, but its better for the conference as a whole as fans in Buffalo, Ypsi, Kalamazoo, etc. that couldn't make the trip will be able to watch the game.

Edited by kreed5120

Everyone take a deep breath and calm down, That sucked but its over and we still are MAC champs and still have a good shot in the MACC tournament. I still think we can go into Kent and beat them. If Ohio and Buffalo pull out wins and we can beat Kent, it keeps them out of a top four seed. If Ball State and WMU both win at home it would drop the Flashes to the sixth seed. That would be a nicely set up tournament so there is still plenty to play for but yeah I think we're looking a at 14 seed if we can reach the NCAA tournament or a 6 or 7 seed in the NIT. Even if we lose to Kent we're not going to be a 15 or 16 seed. Buffalo, Kent, OU, WMU and Ball State are all tied for second in the MAC at 10-7.  Since none of them play each other each has a chance to be anything from the 2 to the sixth seed.

Edited by MDZip

It kind of depends on how the 1 bid conference tourneys play out. Teams like Belmont and Monmouth would be seeded ahead of us, but if they lose their conference the team that wins it likely won't. We should be cheering for upsets in Horizon, MEAC, OVC, etc.

Edited by kreed5120