Bench Minutes

1981 grad

This season I noticed that KD is not using his bench as much as in previous seasons.  Not saying this is good or bad.  Just an observation.   This year we have 4 starters averaging over 30 minutes in MAC play and Antiono averaging 27.5.  Josh is averaging 20 and Utomi 10 with Dunn Martin getting 8, Poke 6, Aron, 6 and Hughs 2.  So although we are playing 11, only 7 players are averaging double digits in MAC play. 

I took a quick look at the stats the past 3 seasons to see if this was unusual for MAC play.  In the past 3 years, we have never had 4 players averaging over 30 minutes.  In the 2013-2014 season, we had 2 players average over 30 minutes (Q and Tree).  Since then only Noah has averaged more than 30 minutes per game.   In the 2013-2014 season, we had 11 players averaging double digit minutes in MAC play.  In In 2014-2105 we had 10 players averaging double digit minutes.  In 2015-2016 we had 8 players averaging double digit minutes with one player averaging 9.4 and another 7.8.  There has been a clear trend of less bench play.

I remember in years past KD always commenting how he liked to go 10 or 11 deep and that is how Akron played.  I also remember people on this board complaining that KD substituted to frequently and did not allow players to get into the flow of the game.  (Have not seen that complaint this season).  I an not being critical of KD.  There are many reasons for the reduced bench play, no blowouts, Hughs injury, Big Dog and Kwan having outstanding senior years, and Dunn Martin, Poke, Utomi and Hughs being frosh.   I wonder if KD will use more bench the last 2 games since we have won the MAC or during the tournament when we have to play 3 games in 3 days.

From the post game after the Buffalo game, it seemed to me Dambrot has no intention on resting players down the stretch. He's planning to play to win the games. After the Kent game our next game would be 6 days away so it's not like rest would be needed. I'd be more concerned about rust.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

These players are in the best shape of their lives. I would guess they all actually played more minutes per game in High School.I'd hope they can play 30 minutes a night. I have not noticed any sign of fatigue over the course of the season, even though some others disagree. Play to win the games and get them rest when you can without jeopardizing the outcome of the game.

I've always been an advocate of getting heavy usage out of the best players, so it is refreshing to see KD doing that now. The whole "depth" thing is right up there with our "high major size" that posters used to point to as a plus for the program. Both of which never got the program to where we want to be, so I am in favor of taking different approaches to try and get there.

Edited by LZIp

50 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

From the post game after the Buffalo game, it seemed to me Dambrot has no intention on resting players down the stretch. He's planning to play to win the games. After the Kent game our next game would be 6 days away so it's not like rest would be needed. I'd be more concerned about rust.

I commented about this in another thread, and I won't repeat all of the details.  But to your point, what might be more significant is that we only have 2 games over the next 12 days leading up to the tournament.  

47 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I've always been an advocate of getting heavy usage out of the best players, so it is refreshing to see KD doing that now. The whole "depth" thing is right up there with our "high major size" that posters used to point to as a plus for the program. Both of which never got the program to where we want to be, so I am in favor of taking different approaches to try and get there.

I've been wondering all along if the diminished bench minutes over the years is just a product of our top-line players being THAT MUCH better than the next tier of players?  That wasn't really the case maybe 8-10 years ago.  We always commented about how Keith's teams really had no "stars", and how production was so evenly distributed.    

I don't think it's been a part of any bigger plan as much as it may have been the product of closer games.  I have no more of a basis for the conclusion of there having been more close games, but it just feels like we've had very few runaway wins and many games have been up in the air until late.  As the games are tighter, you'll get more of the core of the 1 thru 7 trusted core kids in the last ten minutes.  Also, three players whose minutes have suffered due to different circumstances are Utomi who took a while to get into the rotation, Hughes who was injured and got behind, and Aaron Jackson.  

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

That might be true.  But it wouldn't explain why those lower tier guys are playing very shorts stints earlier in the game too.  

I think it's part of the equation.  

Too bad Aaron Jackson has fallen out of the mix.  I can't blame KD and the staff as he shouldn't be taking time from guys like Kwan, Ivey and Utomi, and he's had trouble when he has played.  I thought going into the season that he could be a high energy 10 minute guy, but that certainly hasn't happened.