Miami @ Zips, 2/28/17- Senior Night

clarkwgriswold

5 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Utomi was out all half with an ice bag on his knee 

Interesting. I did not see him get hurt nor the ice, but I'll take you and others' word for it. If he is miraculously fine to play next game however.....we might need to get tougher.

1 minute ago, LZIp said:

Interesting. I did not see him get hurt nor the ice, but I'll take you and others' word for it. If he is miraculously fine to play next game however.....we might need to get tougher.

He was laying on the floor by the end of the bench. 

That sucked. We needed a big win to head into March with momentum and looked to be on our way and totally collapsed. Hope that isn't a microcosm of our season. But, that's why they play the games. This is still a good team when their heads aren't up their asses

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Damn that was frustrating.  The Zips should beat a team like that by 20, giving our seniors a chance to get on that floor on senior night.  Instead, they pi$$ away a 15 point lead with awful defense and 3rd grade level CYO passing.  As they're presently playing, their MAC season will be over around 2:30 PM next Thursday.

Oh, and I'd once like to not have to watch Big Dog try to play tight defense 20 feet from the damn basket and have someone for once STOP THE DRIBBLE PENETRATION.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 3

An unfortunate side effect of our play lately is that if we win the MACC (a big if at this point) We probably cost ourselves a couple seeds. We'd now be a champ of a crappy conference with no big wins and 4 bad losses. 14-15 seed

Edited by zippy5

12 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

That sucked. We needed a big win to head into March with momentum and looked to be on our way and totally collapsed. Hope that isn't a microcosm of our season. But, that's why they play the games. This is still a good team when their heads aren't up their asses

I've been saying since the OU loss they aren't as good as their record. They've played about 2 maybe 3 games. Creighton and gonzaga. They should be blowing 75% of these Mac teams out by 15 plus, yet they get a big lead and pee it away and win by 3 or as of late, lose to 3 win Mac teams. It's disgusting

3 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

An unfortunate side effect of our play lately is that if we win the MACC (a big if at this point) We probably cost ourselves a couple seeds. We'd now be a champ of a crappy conference with no big wins and 4 bad losses. 14-15 seed

14 seed is being kind. Wouldn't be surprised if we were a 15 or even a 16 play in. When you lose to multiple 200+ rpi teams it doesn't warrant a good seed. Especially when you lose to 2 of the worst teams in the Mac and one on your home court

Kwaful performance.

lazy passes by Robotham and Ivey in crunch time sealed the deal. That, and Dog missing 80% of his crunch time free throws. 

Miami had lost every road game this season. They were down 15 in the 2nd half...11 when Kwan took himself out of the game...and won.

Like the Kent game, our opponent was tougher than us, and wanted the win more than the Zips.

League MVP's don't finish the season like this. Lucky for Dog, there's not much competition. He should still win it.

I guess we now know how much Kwan means to the Zips. Hope he sees it too, and finishes his career like he played the first 2/3rds of the season. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Kwaful performance.

lazy passes by Robotham and Ivey in crunch time sealed the deal. That, and Dog missing 80% of his crunch time free throws. 

Miami had lost every road game this season. They were down 15 in the 2nd half...11 when Kwan took himself out of the game...and won.

Like the Kent game, our opponent was tougher than us, and wanted the win more than the Zips.

League MVP's don't finish the season like this. Lucky for Dog, there's not much competition. He should still win it.

I guess we now know how much Kwan means to the Zips. Hope he sees it too, and finishes his career like he played the first 2/3rds of the season. 

I think Dog has now solidified Marcus Keene's MAC MVP season.

Just so damn frustrating as they continue to make the same mistakes they've made all season.  Big Dog can't defend beyond 3 feet from the basket and can't make free throws, they play matador defense on dribble penetration, they rush threes, they build leads to pi$$ them away...on...and...on...and...on...  

I'd be more positive and say that this would be a lesson to help us stay more focused come Cleveland, but in a matter of 2 weeks we played ourselves from being a 12 seed to a 15 and that's if we are even lucky enough to make the tourney.

Round 2 of us heading to Columbus for an NIT game is looking like a definite possibility if we don't turn things around fast.

14 minutes ago, roopride said:

Why have Big Dog defend up high? I don't think they took a jump shot off the high pick and roll.

Also why does Big Dog need to set up 15' from the basket against this team?

Go back to the days of Zeke Marshall. Dambrot doesn't know how to develop or use big men. 

15 points at the 11 min. mark.

14 points at the 9 min. mark.

11 points at the 6 min. mark.

All year, when we were in situations where it seemed as if we might pull away, we didn't.  And this game had numerous situations like that.  

This game, like many, was one good defensive stop or one good offensive possession away from having a much different result.  We're not making those plays in those situations.  

Edited by skip-zip

You have to admit that it is weird how all season this team cannot put a team away and it finally cost them a game.  Kwan's foul and T was a 4 point play and really turned the momentum around to favor Miami.  I did not hear what he said but no reason to get a T. (Cursing at the officials?)   I heard that Utomi was out with a sore knee and that is why he did not play the second half.  Aron Jackson had a couple nice rebounds and scored at least 4 points.  Nobody can fault him for this loss although he threw a terrible pass at the end of the game.  Miami did a good job on Big Dog.  Miami used all the shot clock and did not take most shots until the shot clock was down to 5.  Big Dog is the go to guy when we need points and he has been successful in the past.  However, tonight he was stripped of the ball and fouled and only converted 1 of 4 foul shots.  If this team is going to win the MAC he needs to make his foul shots down the stretch. 

Miami's coach is at the end of this contract and they are having a terrible season.  I wonder if this win might have saved his job.  I have tickets to the Kent game and will hopefully see a better performance than tonight.  If we play this poorly we will get blown out.   I still think we can win the tournament.  Go Zips!  

23 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

15 points at the 11 min. mark.

14 points at the 9 min. mark.

11 points at the 6 min. mark.

All year, when we were in situations where it seemed as if we might pull away, we didn't.  And this game had numerous situations like that.  

This game, like many, was one good defensive stop or one good offensive possession away from having a much different result.  We're not making those plays in those situations.  

I almost feel we let up when we build a comfortable lead. We see guys take a "heat check" 3, get a little lazy on defense, or make a careless pass. Next thing you know the other team is back in it. Where is that killer instinct? It almost seems we want to give the bare-minimal effort necessary for a win. I don't see that desire of always wanting more.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, LZIp said:

What an embarrassment. Embarrassing that the team let a freshman light their asses up. Embarrassing that the season is nearly over and we still don't want to feed the focal point of our offense. Embarrassing that the focal point of our offense is a liability at the end of close games because he can't make his free throws. Embarrassing that a senior on his senior night acted like an underclass-man and lost his composure. Embarrassing and indefensible for Coach Dambrot to go with Aaron Jackson of Utomi after said senior fouls out.

Most of all, embarrassing that we blew a 15 point lead at home to freaking Miami. This isn't the team to win that first NCAA game.

Agree with everything here, except one point - on Utomi.  Utomi tweaked his knee & thus had to sit out the 2nd half.  

But, yeah, spot on really. :puke:

8 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Just so damn frustrating as they continue to make the same mistakes they've made all season.  Big Dog can't defend beyond 3 feet from the basket and can't make free throws, they play matador defense on dribble penetration, they rush threes, they build leads to pi$$ them away...on...and...on...and...on...  

This is why I'm losing patience.  

8 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I almost feel we let up when we build a comfortable lead. We see guys take a "heat check" 3, get a little lazy on defense, or make a careless pass. Next thing you know the other team is back in it. Where is that killer instinct? It almost seems we want to give the bare-minimal effort necessary for a win. I don't see that desire of always wanting more.

:puke::puke::puke: