Miami @ Zips, 2/28/17- Senior Night

clarkwgriswold

51 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

:puke::puke::puke:

In past seasons KD Instilled a real emphasis on playing defense first. Guys would get pulled for a lack of effort. With that came a certain physical and mental toughness. This years squad exhibits none of that. As Kreed5120 said, minimal effort. As a result leads were blown in multiple games and last night it caught up with us.

Edited by zipfan84
corrected reference

Last-place RedHawks upset regular-season champion Zips

This ABJ article is by Tim Rogers & he rightfully rips the Zips a new one.  Nothing positive in this article whatsoever.  Good.  I like it when the press does this.  Much better than Terry Pluto's old and tired, "Oh, we should just be content; what do you expect anyway, it's just Akron... blah, blah, blah."

15 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

This is what I've been feeling about our record for a long time.  Great record, but winning by the skin of your teeth in a very mediocre MAC conference... we're not that good.

this is the ceiling with akron basketball under dambrot...it's like groundhog day...

9 minutes ago, mivid12 said:

this is the ceiling with akron basketball under dambrot.

I don't really want to start this discussion here.  But, what do you propose that we do to get beyond that point?  And/Or  Tell us what specifically he is doing wrong where you feel so certain that we would do it better with a new coach?

My favorite part of the Tim Rogers article-  “We got what we deserved,” Dambrot said after an extended stint in the locker room. “We were emotional and paid the price. We’ve talked to refs all season and tonight we paid the price. We let bad plays bother us and we paid the price. We took command of the game and let them hang around. It is unacceptable behavior.”   Translation- "Stop being whiny little b!+che$ and go play hard."

Curious to hear mivid12's suggestions for improvement.  There are a ton of young talented coaches dying to come to a midwest MAC team and spend their lives here.  Once we get into the ACC, the list will grow even longer.  

32 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

This is what I've been feeling about our record for a long time.  Great record, but winning by the skin of your teeth in a very mediocre MAC conference... we're not that good.

Although I think "not that good" is probably going too far, I'd still buy into that more than the other explanations earlier in the season.

"Good teams find a way to win close games"

"We're the 1980 Kardiac Kids Browns"

"Champions make plays when it matters"

Etc.

The truth is that when you play in a lot of close games, at some point you're not going to always end up on the good side.  It's not some mark of greatness, as some people here were suggesting.  

2 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

I really respect Dambrot's comments in the post-game. You can tell he is not willing to beat around the bush anymore, its time for this team to perform.

I was happy to see it too.  I think he needs to do that right now.  It was definitely a different tone than after the Kent State loss.  

Zips Nation, I have to confess, this is all my fault. At the end of my favorite NFL teams season, I took down the flag on 1/27 from my flagpole and replaced it with my Akron flag.....and the rest is history.

I am sorry about this and today I plan to take down the now ripped flag - after all of the heavy winds, not the bad losses - and hope that the curse goes away in time.

I am now taking suggestions/donations of any flag that you'd like flown at my house!

Feeling guilty in Akron

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sportsjunkie330 said:

Zips Nation, I have to confess, this is all my fault. At the end of my favorite NFL teams season, I took down the flag on 1/27 from my flagpole and replaced it with my Akron flag.....and the rest is history.

I am sorry about this and today I plan to take down the now ripped flag - after all of the heavy winds, not the bad losses - and hope that the curse goes away in time.

I am now taking suggestions/donations of any flag that you'd like flown at my house!

Feeling guilty in Akron

I started the BG, Kan't and Miami threads.  I feel your pain!

24 minutes ago, Sportsjunkie330 said:

Feeling guilty in Akron

Fly whomever the Zip are playing..or is that whoever?

I find threads like this amusing.

Back at the end of the football season, there was a thread or two about Western Michigan and their historic 2016 season where they ran the table in the regular season, got a visit from College Gameday and went to the Cotton Bowl.  There was a contingent of fans that would rather have a "Ohio U type program" with sustained success over a number of years with an entrenched coach than to have a fantastic run and lose your coach and basically start over.

Well. . .it is my opinion that we have one of those "Ohio U Solich programs" right here at good old UA with Dambrot's basketball program with one major difference:

Dambrot's program is much better than Solich's.

Akron basketball is the standard bearer in this conference.  Ohio football is not.  I think it is hilarious that there are people wishing for something in one sport that people are weeping and gnashing their teeth about in another.  Both of these groups could learn something from the other, but here's another hilarious thing:

Some people belong to both groups.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

I don't really want to start this discussion here.  But, what do you propose that we do to get beyond that point?  And/Or  Tell us what specifically he is doing wrong where you feel so certain that we would do it better with a new coach?

not my job to figure that out..however the easy answer is to make a sweet 16 run like  other MAC/mid major schools have done......

show me evidence otherwise i'm wrong.

15 minutes ago, mivid12 said:

not my job to figure that out..however the easy answer is to make a sweet 16 run like  other MAC/mid major schools have done......

show me evidence otherwise i'm wrong.

I think you're not getting to the point here.  We all want more.  But, what makes you believe that we'd even sustain the kind of success we've had for the last dozen years with someone else at the helm?  Tell us what he's done wrong, and how a replacement would be better?

• Like 1

Something I didn't realize. It was of course Senior Night for six MAC schools and every one of them lost. The road team won all six games yesterday.

And really as far as an NCAA tournament run goes it really depends on a few things. A little bit is the seed but more importantly is the matchup and how well you play that particular day. If you're not part of a major basketball conference it's a tough road. Some schools turn it into something (like Gonzaga and VCU), but more often than not its just a fun experience for a bit. Is George Mason dominating the A-10? (they are 8-8). Have Kent and Ohio turned into the dominant programs in the MAC after their run? Oh wait no that's us. I'd love to see an NCAA tournament run as much as anyone but in the long run its probably not going to mean that much. I just hate seeing it put out there as the Holy Grail that a coach must achieve to be considered a success. 10 straight years of making at least the MACC semifinals and 7 in a row in the final? How many other "smaller conference" schools can make that claim? So if we happen to pull off an upset (and it will always be an upset) in the NCAA tournament suddenly Dambrot will be a great coach? I think he's a great coach now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UAZippers said:

I really respect Dambrot's comments in the post-game. You can tell he is not willing to beat around the bush anymore, its time for this team to perform.

Such disarray. And on the eve of the KSU game and mac tourney. Harkens back to the untimely arrest of our PG a few years back..

Under Dambrot we've been at or near the top of the MAC pretty much every year for the past decade. I'd love to see Akron make a Sweet 16 run just as much as any of you guys but to achieve that we'd need to bring our "A" game and hope our opponent brings something less than theirs. No matter who the coach is that is what we need. We haven't gotten that in our 3 trips to the tourney under Dambrot, but I certainly hope at some point we do with Dambrot leading us.

13 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I think you're not getting to the point here.  We all want more.  But, what makes you believe that we'd even sustain the kind of success we've had for the last dozen years with someone else at the helm?  Tell us what he's done wrong, and how a replacement would be better?

I think Mivid12 is right, in that, after 12 years, this does seem to be KD's ceiling.  But, at the same time, I also think KD is the best we can do.  This seems to be Akron's ceiling.  

Our recruiting is good by MAC standards, but poor if you want to be "the Gonzaga of the east."  Losing out on our very own home-grown Jayvon Graves to... Buffalo (:puke:) is one recent evidence of this.  Losing Jayvon is a kick to the nuts, especially considering our PG's being perpetually undersized & un-athletic.  I knew we should have offered Jayvon when he was a sophomore.

Though you can't tell by my tone, I'm an optimist.  Though we lose height next season, we should be more athletic.  Antino, Ivey, Utomi, Parrish and Isaiah Williams are all athletic players who should be able to get to the basket off the dribble; much more athletic than this year's version of the Zips.

Who could do better?  That's impossible to answer, really.  I'd keep KD until he's ready to retire because I don't think we can do better.