Miami @ Zips, 2/28/17- Senior Night

clarkwgriswold

31 minutes ago, MDZip said:

10 straight years of making at least the MACC semifinals and 7 in a row in the final? How many other "smaller conference" schools can make that claim?

In terms of the Conference Tournament success alone, I believe it's only Gonzaga with that consistency over that period of time.  

7 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Our recruiting is good by MAC standards, but poor if you want to be "the Gonzaga of the east."... our PG's being perpetually undersized & un-athletic.

Though we lose height next season, we should be more athletic.

I think these are kind of the key points. So many times we have to choose size or athleticism and very rarely do we get guys with size and athleticism who can also ball. I'm not really sure we recruit that much better than our MAC peers as the guys we typically land aren't normally highly recruited. Dambrot just does a fantastic job of identifying undervalued players that fit his system and develops them into the players that he feels they can be. We probably can't land higher caliber recruits unless we experience more postseason success, meanwhile, at the same time we kind of need to recruit better to better our chances at postseason success.

Well, if you want more, maybe move to Lexington or Durham where you get lots, lots more. The thing is though is that their fans are really cheering for the uniform and not the young men in that uniform. With the constant one, maybe two, and done kids the stars of the elite programs often leave early. Same with coaches always running to the next big paycheck.  If that's your thing, you can have it.

I'll take what I have here any day.  My wife and I have been in contact with many past and present players and even some of their families through the years. More than a handful of Zip players have come to speak to and motivate the children who my wife teaches every day. If you could see the players interact with the kids you would be highly impressed.  I love the fact that we have had four and sometimes five years to watch these players develop, both as players and, for the most, into fine young men. 

Maybe you think I'm full of crap and some of you may let me know it but I'm proud of what this program has accomplished over the years. This is a great mid major program. We should keep things in perspective and appreciate that.

• Like 8

I don't think you're full of crap Hip Zip, but you can have much of what you've described (in your 2nd paragraph) and a program that can win games in the NCAA Tourney at the same time. Similar to you, I have been in contact with many past and present Zips Mens soccer players and even some of their families through the years and also the head coach who is now in the pros.

I'm not supporting a change in Mens Basketball coaching, which by the way is moot anyhow. I like KD. He's one of us (an Akron alum), a good coach, and a good man. I wish much that he could find a way to at least win 1 game in the NCAA D1 Mens BBall Tourney. I know he'd like to do that for us as much as we want it. As far as his going anywhere anytime soon...that would have to be because he wants to make the move. He's got a contract through 2023. No way UA can afford to make a change. Discussing this seems pointless to me.

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Dambrot just does a fantastic job of identifying undervalued players that fit his system and develops them into the players that he feels they can be.

This has been the key to the last 12 years.  Other MAC teams have a few good players.  We have a few good players plus the 2-3 more that we can make into something special.  That keeps the continuity going, because those guys can eventually become starters.  Our competitors have those few good players graduate, and then have to find a few more.  

He came here while already possessing a deep knowledge of the conference.   And now he's been here a long time.  He instantly has an advantage on every new coach who comes into this league.  

One thing for everyone to keep in mind when talking about Keith's postseason record. . .

The best chance the Zips ever had to make some noise in the tourney was '12-'13 season.  That success was robbed from Keith and the rest of the team.

We would still be talking about it.

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I think you're not getting to the point here.  We all want more.  But, what makes you believe that we'd even sustain the kind of success we've had for the last dozen years with someone else at the helm?  Tell us what he's done wrong, and how a replacement would be better?

you're right...they could fire dambrot and his replacement could be worse...i don't know how successful the next coach will be...my point is this is all you're gonna get with dambrot....who nationally gave a crap keith won 300 games? the zips had a 30 game home winning streak?...yet folks remember kents elite 8 run & that was 15 yrs ago...same with OU..until this program has a tourney run it's ground hog day & i see zero evidence this team will win a ncaa tourney game let alone a sweet 16 run under keith....i'd love to be wrong but good LORD they can't even win a cbi game

Hip Zip makes a great point  that should not be lost in our discussion of Akron Basketball.  KD recruits quality student-athletes who will be successful in life when they hang up their Nikes and have to succeed in life.  I listen to the post game interviews on the way home from the games and watch the Zip live show and these players always leave me with a positive impression. 

As for the game last night, there is no doubt in my mind that if we had needed this game to clinch the MAC title that we would have won this game.  Last year we lost 3 of 4 at the end of the season and still got to the title game.  This team will hopefully get it together for the tournament.   I am a little superstitious so last year we cut down the nets in Akron and lost in Cleveland.  This year we did not cut down the nets in Akron and hopefully we will win in Cleveland.  Looking forward to the Kent game.  Go Zips

12 minutes ago, K92 said:

One thing for everyone to keep in mind when talking about Keith's postseason record. . .

The best chance the Zips ever had to make some noise in the tourney was '12-'13 season.  That success was robbed from Keith and the rest of the team.

We would still be talking about it.

I am not sure if the starting PG would have been quite enough to make up the slim 46 point difference.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I am not sure if the starting PG would have been quite enough to make up the whole 46 point difference.

I doubt if the Zips would have been matched against VCU had Abreu been there.

And furthermore, the Zips blew their wad winning the MAC tourney where they were given 0 percent chance of winning and when they played VCU we had kids down with the flu.  Now, I am not one to make excuses but those are facts.  The team we had for Zeke's senior year was by far the best Zips team, IMO.  Head and shoulders better than this year's squad.  Now, they are going to disparaged forever because they drew the worst possible opponent in VCU and got a historic beatdown in their last game.  I feel bad for that team.

Meanwhile, this season, we had fans talking about the possiblities for an at-large bid.  

SMH.  Sometimes, I feel so far out in left field.

Edited by K92

They were all dumb. crap on this team all you want but they were gathering votes for a lot of the season and probably would have been ranked if they won 2 more games before losing. The 12-13 team was ranked #25 for a whole day before they lost I believe. Hardly some large gap between what each accomplished.

Edited by LZIp

8 minutes ago, LZIp said:

They were all dumb. crap on this team all you want but they were gathering votes for a lot of the season and probably would have been ranked if they won 2 more games before losing. The 12-13 team was ranked #25 for a whole day before they lost I believe. Hardly some large gap between what each accomplished.

I don't think I even farted on this team, much less crapped.

46 minutes ago, K92 said:

22 vs. 5

4/22 = 18.2%

1/5 = 20%

Pretty much the same thing.

Lose your starting QB...lose your starting PG...pretty much the same thing when you have MAC-level depth.

Lose to "high mid-major" VCU by 44...lose to Cotton-Bowl bound WMU by 41...pretty much the same thing.

27 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

4/22 = 18.2%

1/5 = 20%

Pretty much the same thing.

Lose your starting QB...lose your starting PG...pretty much the same thing when you have MAC-level depth.

Lose to "high mid-major" VCU by 44...lose to Cotton-Bowl bound WMU by 41...pretty much the same thing.

Except for the fact 1 team won the MAC Championship and the other finished tied for 7th place in the MAC.

Edit: I can't speak for the other critics, but I wouldn't have been hypocritical had we salvaged a 7-5 regular season and went on to get smoked in a bowl game.

Edited by kreed5120

15 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Except for the fact 1 team won the MAC Championship and the other finished tied for 7th place in the MAC.

That would have to do with the timing of the missing players. Turn the timing of the two situations around, and the results may have been switched. But really, I think the original point is valid. Missing key contributors at the end of the season can change the dynamics of a team. 

Do I sit at games and love every decision made by KD and his staff?  Heck no.  That being said, the Zips couldn't do any better than KD on the open market.  Lord know, with his record, he'd have been gone long long ago if not for his CMU skeleton.  Also, you can't discount the fact that his close friend, LBJ, is now a face of the school and contributing millions of dollars.  KD's not going anywhere until he wants to.

I'd also love to see an NCAA run, but let's look at the odds of that actually happening.  Sure, there's a mid-major team every two or three years, a Kan't, OU or George Mason type team, that pulls it off.  The odds of being  that team are very very slim, explaining the excitement and legend when it occurs.  As such, it borders on an unreasonable expectation to judge the program (or coach) by the failure to be one of those rare teams.

I know many may see me as a defeatist.  I think I'm a realist.  I love the Zips but maybe, in reality, this is as good as it gets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Love UA

Love the players

Love the coach

Hate that we are playing uninspired

Hate that we're playing unintelligently

Hate that we are playing soft

That's not as visceral as some would like. It's not as cuddly and others would like. Oh well...can't please everyone.

I think you got it juuust right baby bear :)