Schedule Released

kreed5120

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Yep.  It should.  But it makes it much tougher to get the equalizer when Kent gets that game in early October on a Saturday, and we get it the following year in late November on a Tuesday.  

That right there pisses me off more than anything in regards to the scheduling.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:32 AM, ZippyRulz said:

The MAC stands to make a lot more money from ESPN than what it will lose from reduced gate/concessions revenue. These are "studio games" and the players get a national audience as opposed to a few thousand attendees. You have to look at the big picture (was that a pun?)

I get it that there is a benefit if the games actually get a national television audience. I don't understand it, though, if the games are only streaming on ESPN3. If you are not on one of the televised networks (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, or even ESPNews) as part of the ESPN deal then you should be playing on Saturday in my opinion.

2 hours ago, GJGood said:

I get it that there is a benefit if the games actually get a national television audience. I don't understand it, though, if the games are only streaming on ESPN3. If you are not on one of the televised networks (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, or even ESPNews) as part of the ESPN deal then you should be playing on Saturday in my opinion.

Yep.  That's what makes it really, really tough.  You give up everything else to be on National TV.......and that National TV ends up being an ESPN3 broadcast.  

On 5/24/2017 at 4:06 PM, skip-zip said:

Yep.  That's what makes it really, really tough.  You give up everything else to be on National TV.......and that National TV ends up being an ESPN3 broadcast.  

At least on opening week we are in the prime spot on the TV schedule, ABC @ Noon.  

DAsRrs2WAAACQTD.jpg

37 minutes ago, ZZZips said:

At least on opening week we are in the prime spot on the TV schedule, ABC @ Noon.  

DAsRrs2WAAACQTD.jpg

ABC/ESPN would have much better ratings if we were playing Kent and Penn State was playing Clemson.

Iowa State fan here.  I feel sorry for you for your schedule.  It certainly does not seem attractive to the long-term, hard-core fans.  However, I have to say that I have always liked being able to watch MAC games on weeknights.  Especially on weeks where we have home games on Saturday, I only get to see our game and the games on the TV at our tailgate.  So, I like being able to watch other games (not replays) during the week.  

If it is any consolation, our next game after yours is on a Thursday twelve days later hosting Texas.  We will still get a good crowd, but we have a fantastic and huge tailgating tradition.  Weeknight games are great for exposure national TV (e.g. when we beat #2 Oklahoma State in November 2011 to knock them out of the national championship contention and Brandon Weeden out of Heisman contention), but it just doesn't feel right to go to weeknight games without a whole day of tailgating beforehand.  

• 2 months later...