Zips @ Kent State Friday on ESPN2

1981 grad

At Kent at 9 on ESPN 2.  Things to do not look good.

We have lost 3 of 4 and the last game at home to the worst team in the league.

I cannot remember the last time we won at Kent

Kent has been looking good recently after beating us at the Jar.

Does anybody know whether Utomi will be playing or how serious his injury?

Well, I guess "close the season on a good note" now comes down to only one game.  

The last time I clearly remember winning there was in 2007 when Little Dru fouled out and Dials had to play the point through overtime, and had a nice dish at the end to Jeremiah for the winning basket.  A very exciting game to watch.  That was the game where LeBron was in attendance cheering for the Zips, and our radio guys commented that it was the first time they had ever seen him get booed in NE Ohio.  I guess the Kent fans didn't like it.  :lol:

Here's the Box Score:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=270632309

Actually, that was a really exciting year for the Kent/Akron rivalry because we beat them again a few days later in Cleveland in the Semifinal after being down something like 14 at the half?

Edited by skip-zip

17 hours ago, skip-zip said:

The last time I clearly remember winning there was in 2007 when Little Dru fouled out and Dials had to play the point through overtime, and had a nice dish at the end to Jeremiah for the winning basket.  A very exciting game to watch.  That was the game where LeBron was in attendance cheering for the Zips, and our radio guys commented that it was the first time they had ever seen him get booed in NE Ohio.  I guess the Kent fans didn't like it.  :lol:

The last time we won at Kent was during Zeke's senior season 2012-2013. We had actually beaten Kent five straight times at that point including a coupe at their place and a couple in the MACC. Sneaking suspicion the Zips pull this one out tonight and drop the Flashes to the sixth seed.

• Like 1

I can't get a feel for this one.  Do we get the Zips of the first 20 games who tend to find a way to pull it our after trying to give it away or do we get the Zips of the last two weeks that draft off and never wake up?  At their best, the Zips are the top team in a conference that is struggling this year, but on a bad night they are among the worst.  

If we want to win more than Kent, we'll win. Kent's offense can't keep up with the Zips when we play to our capabilities.

If we play uninspired and lazy, we'll lose.

If we're down at the end, we'll probably lose. We haven't shown the poise to pull out a comeback win in a tight game (we won in spite of ourselves vs Ball State). We need a lead going into the final 2 minutes. If we're down, we're in trouble.

I like our chances tonight. I think we hit rock-bottom against Miami, and sometimes you need that "that's all I can stands, I can't stands no more" wake-up call before you can turn things around. Popeye_-_Popeye_2.gif

Zips 72

Kent 64

• Like 1

This one is too tough to call. Which Zips team shows up? How will our opponent shoot the 3 ball and how will they handle the emotions associated with Senior Night? A lot of unknown and inconsistent variables in this one. I hope Akron just wants it more.

Coach just confirmed on pre-game that the games don't matter until next Thursday. Silly me for thinking momentum heading into the MAC tournament meant something or that wins in your league heading down the stretch just might have an impact on seeding in The Big Dance or to a (much-)lesser extent the NIT. :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Kwan needs to play smart in 2nd half. Kent is getting offensive rebounds at will with him on the bench.

+1 on this. Poor Kwan lost his confidence down the stretch and lately is trying to force things. He just needs to relax and play smarter. 

Not a bad half overall. A few forced threes but I like the defense efforts, except for the offensive rebounds. That is becoming our MO lately. 

Jimond is such an unbelievable athlete. I wish he'd keep pounding the lane.