Sad news about ZN.o member Go Zips

Long time Zips fan and ZN.o member Go Zips peacefully passed away tonight as his beloved Zips dispatched hated KSU. Fred was a longtime volunteer assistant with the basketball program dating back to the Bob Huggins era. If anyone ever bled blue and gold it was Fred. He was very opinionated but he truly loved every kid that passed through the program. Fred had a stroke late last year and was sorely missed by the staff and team. He did make it to one final game on February 14th, a win against Toledo.  RIP Go Zips!

• Like 11

7 hours ago, MDZip said:

That's about as appropriate a night for Fred to go as he could have picked (and maybe he did).

I just told my wife already this morning that if I could pick a time to go, I'd want it to be right after a victory over Kent.  How fitting for such a big fan.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

Fred was probably the most passionate Zips Fan I have ever met. Rest in peace.

Yes sir. Now that I've seen his picture I have connected the dots. For sure, we were certainly aware of his presence when he was seated nearby. He was a true blue Zip fan all the way .

Oh, my goodness!  May Fred Thomas be blessed in his passage.  Fred was deeply committed to those things he believed passionately about -- Zips hoops and those players and staff associated with it.  This hits me hard, since Fred was my steadiest contact in the Land of the Zips before this bulletin board came into being.  We fell out over politics -- which was not surprising and did not stop our friendship.  I had occasional texts or messages from Fred as recently as last bb season.  We used to talk about his plans to return to the islands, and his favorite eating places in Honolulu.  He would talk about his daughter, who was his closest family.  I hope and know the team will give him an appropriate send-off.  Aloha, Coach Thomas!

I, too, knew Fred a little but knew of Fred a lot. Let's just say he had his ways, but they were always rooted in a deep and abiding love of the Zips. If there is anything that our ZNO crowd is going to do to remember him count me in. Could we make a donation to the Z-Fund in his name to go to the basketball progrum? Just a thought.

Hello to everyone.  My name is Tiffany. I am Fred's daughter.  There aren't words to describe how much your kind words about dad have lifted me up.  He was extremely passionate about the Zips. I mean, I pretty much grew up in the JAR. If any of you have a favorite photo or anything you would like to share, please do.  Even maybe loaning memorabilia...  I am trying to put together some photo boards and items to display at the viewing.  I will hopefully have a date and time set for services today. I will post them on here. Also, the obit will be in the Beacon Journal.  Please feel free to contact me here.  Thank you again for all the kind words and well wishes.  My dad has been so blessed to have a great group of people to call his friends. 

• Like 11

18 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I, too, knew Fred a little but knew of Fred a lot. Let's just say he had his ways, but they were always rooted in a deep and abiding love of the Zips. If there is anything that our ZNO crowd is going to do to remember him count me in. Could we make a donation to the Z-Fund in his name to go to the basketball progrum? Just a thought.

This is a great idea. If someone wants to put this together I'm in for $50.