Sad news about ZN.o member Go Zips

****Update on service times****

The calling hours for Fred (my dad) will be Thursday 3/9 from 5-8pm at Cox-McNulty funeral home in Wadsworth. 

The funeral service will be at 9am Friday at Sacred Heart of Jesus in Wadsworth. Burial to follow at Western Reserve in Rittman. Dad was a Navy veteran and will be buried with full military honors.  

My family and I are really looking forward to celebrating his life with so many of his friends and fellow Zips. Again, if you have any photos that you would like to share, or memorabilia that you would like to put on loan, please let me know.  Thanks so much.

6 hours ago, MDZip said:

This is a great idea. If someone wants to put this together I'm in for $50. 

Make that two. Let's celebrate his life!

Tiffany, you and your family are in our prayers. Zips are always marathon friends.

• Like 1

Very sad news  I met him a few times, but never knew him on a personal level. One of the conversations we had was when there was a Mens soccer conference tournament game at home on the same night that the Lady Zips had a big basketball game at Dayton. I was getting updates from the game, and giving them to people, and he asked for a score update and said "I'm surprised you aren't there." I told him "I'm a college student, it's not in my budget to go outside of Akron this early in the season." There were times at Lady Zip games where he would be a couple rows behind me, and I had to change my seat(for those that don't go to those games, the seats are all GA) at halftime because he was yelling so loud, I couldn't hear the coaching staffs. As a high school coach, I like sitting behind the benches to get a perspective of what college coaches are doing during the games and see what I can learn and establish into my coaching style at the high school level. So instead of asking him to quiet down, I moved to a different seat. He wasn't being rude, he was just being passionate about Akron Zips athletics, and I wasn't going to try and extinguish any of that. Our methods may be different, but we all want what's best for Akron athletics. His passion cannot be questioned, and this is a huge loss for our fan base. All that means is the rest of us have to pick it up a little bit. That's the best way to continue the passion that Fred had for this university. Tiffany, your family and friends will be in my thoughts and prayers. It's going to be hard to imagine this MAC tournament without seeing him there in the stands.

Edited by mes102
  • Like 3

Still have a visual memory of Fred in his yellow A sweater leaning against the rail where the players enter/exit the court. I also remember him going all out soliciting donations for pancreatic cancer on Dan Peters purple out games.  We didnt always agree but I sure respect his passion and his Service. RIP Fred

I just saw this and wanted to pay my respects. I'm a VCU fan who used to be on here more often when VCU and Akron were paired in Bracketbusters several years ago. I and GoZips butted heads quite a bit to start, but it was always evident he was highly passionate about the Zips. To hear of his passing is very saddening. I pray for peace that passes understanding to rest with his loved ones. He was clearly a great fan of this program and fiercely rooted for it. My condolences to his family and to all of Zips Nation.

• Like 4