Monday Night Predictions

NWAkron

Will chalk prevail?  Will Miami(Ohio) pull off another first round upset and return to the Q (sans band and cheerleaders)?  The Kittens seem a little worried about getting the Rockets.  And as much as a PCCC/Zips final would be a lot of fun, I smell a Marcus Keene size upset brewing in Ravenna tomorrow night.  As for NIU v. EMU, I will be pulling for the Huskies only because we've had too many close ones with the former Hurons in Cleveland.

First round: Monday (campus sites)

Game 1, 7 p.m.: No. 9 Northern Illinois (15-16) at No. 8 Eastern Michigan (15-16).

Game 2, time TBA: No. 12 Miami (Ohio) (11-20) at No. 5 Western Michigan (15-15).

Game 3, 8 p.m.: No. 10 Bowling Green (13-18) vs. No. 7 Toledo (16-15).

Game 4, time TBA: No. 11 Central Michigan (16-15) vs. No. 6 Kent State (18-13).

Edited by NWAkron

Akron beats Eastern Michigan Thursday, Akron beats Western Michigan Friday, Akron beats Central Michigan in the MAC championship. Akron beats the University of Michigan in the first round of the NCAA tournament, then loses in overtime to Michigan State in a second round buzzer beater from just inside half court. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Akron beats Eastern Michigan Thursday, Akron beats Western Michigan Friday, Akron beats Central Michigan in the MAC championship. Akron beats the University of Michigan in the first round of the NCAA tournament, then loses in overtime to Michigan State in a second round buzzer beater from just inside half court. 

Could you please be a little more specific?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Is Michigan State even going to make the tourney?

I'm thinking more in terms of who I'd rather play on Thursday.  I like playing EMU (besides the nightmare in the Quarterfinal last year) because of their Zone defense.  You won't get any pressure from them for 3/4 of the court.  Then it's a matter of just concentrating on spacing, passing, and screening to get open shots.  It should be a lot less taxing on the guys as a first round game.  And their 56 point output against Toledo the other night makes me a little less fearful that they might be in the groove offensively right now after that 100+ point output against Central (Does Central even know how to play defense?).  We've defended them pretty well this year anyway.  

18 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'm thinking more in terms of who I'd rather play on Thursday.  I like playing EMU (besides the nightmare in the Quarterfinal last year) because of their Zone defense.  You won't get any pressure from them for 3/4 of the court.  Then it's a matter of just concentrating on spacing, passing, and screening to get open shots.  It should be a lot less taxing on the guys as a first round game.  And their 56 point output against Toledo the other night makes me a little less fearful that they might be in the groove offensively right now after that 100+ point output against Central (Does Central even know how to play defense?).  We've defended them pretty well this year anyway.  

EMU scares me because of their zone. If we aren't hitting outside shots, they don't give you many other options. However if we get through them, they would wear a little less on Big Dog than NIU's big guy. Either way we should handle either team

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Personally, I would prefer to play NIU, but I'm not losing sleep over either.

I think I just still have too good of a memory about the way they ran up the floor on us and scored at will, especially using their big man, in that 47 point first-half outburst in DeKalb about a month ago.   Someone who wants to try to beat you that way would not be my choice for the first of 3 straight days of games.  

I don't think I would sleep on EMU. Before conference play started, myself, and I believe others thought of them as a top 3 MAC team. Thompson, while a punk, is quite talented. Ray (formerly known as Raven) Lee is the real wildcard. He has accumulated a whole 5 points and a DNP in our meetings this season. I don't know what is going on at the program, but I do know he has been a damn good player most of his career. In fact, he is averaging a whopping 26.8 ppg over the past 5 games (including one 50 pointer).

Edited by LZIp

And with a few conference tournament upsets the Zips are back up to a 13 seed. Need to take care of business in our own conference tournament. Could give a damn now who we play 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Even with a few hiccups the Zips are the best team in the conference and its not close. Now go prove it! If any other MAC team wins it they are a 14 or worse.

Edited by MDZip

21 minutes ago, MDZip said:

And with a few conference tournament upsets the Zips are back up to a 13 seed. Need to take care of business in our own conference tournament. Could give a damn now who we play 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Even with a few hiccups the Zips are the best team in the conference and its not close. Now go prove it! If any other MAC team wins it they are a 14 or worse.

With the RPI sitting at #59 right now, I'd be happy to take a #13 seed.  I think it's more likely at #14.  And with everyone else in the league well over 100, I think they'll see a #15.  

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

I think I just still have too good of a memory about the way they ran up the floor on us and scored at will, especially using their big man, in that 47 point first-half outburst in DeKalb about a month ago.   Someone who wants to try to beat you that way would not be my choice for the first of 3 straight days of games.  

The Zips adjusted and eventually Kwan covered him in transition. I'd expect a similar mindset heading into a rematch and us not spotting them 10 or so points off of it.

4 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The Zips adjusted and eventually Kwan covered him in transition. I'd expect a similar mindset heading into a rematch and us not spotting them 10 or so points off of it.

I think they were up 16 at one point.  Big comeback in the 2nd half, and surely some adjustments were made.  I think I just don't like like the way that they will probably choose to attack us, more than anything else.  Not for an opening matchup.  

Edited by skip-zip

18 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I think they were up 16 at one point.  Big comeback in the 2nd half, and surely some adjustments were made.  I think I just don't like like the way that they will probably choose to attack us, more than anything else.  Not for an opening matchup.  

Yeah, I was specifically talking about how their 1st 10 points came pretty much from their big beating Big Dog down the court. Think he finished the 1st half with like 16 and was non-existent in the 2nd half. The Zips made adjustments and NIU would need to find a new way to beat us. For a team that can't shoot well, that would be challenging.

Edited by kreed5120

21 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

With the RPI sitting at #59 right now, I'd be happy to take a #13 seed.  I think it's more likely at #14.  And with everyone else in the league well over 100, I think they'll see a #15.  

What matters is how many AQ are deemed to be better than the MAC winner. If we continue to see the number of upsets in these conference tournaments that we have seen so far, Akron could end up as high as a potential 12. As the week progresses and these tournaments progress, we will get a better idea of where certain MAC teams will finish.

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Akron could end up as high as a potential 12.

I'd jump through the roof if we got a #12.  I think that absolutely went off the board with the 2 home losses.    

I think it's important to keep in mind that if you are awarded a #12, you're right on the cusp of having an At-Large if you didn't win your conference tournament.  And we didn't do nearly enough down the stretch to be an At-Large candidate.