Jerome Lane

zipsoutsider

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

If he had been clocking 4.61 before declaring for the draft, Jerome got some bad advice.

Wish he would have stayed one more year & refined his skills.

He had the fastest time for a receiver over 220 lbs. He mentioned that he had been clocked, by hand at something like 4.42 but conceded that he knew laser might be different. I think the more he got into this process, the more he seems to have realized he made a mistake. He doesn't sound overly-confident about getting drafted. 

18 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Laquon Treadwell ran a 4.63 last year. See what I'm getting at? Lane may or may not get drafted. I'd bet he will. But a 4.6 40 hardly disqualifies him

Lane will get another chance at the 40 at the Akron pro day---

Lane had one of the better times in the short shuttle at 4.12 s--- 

Lane's vertical and broad jump results (35 inch, 125 inch) were better than Mike Williams' (32.5 inch, 121 inch) who chose not to run the 40--- 

The Combine Drills That Really Matter For Wide Receivers---

Lane posted  6.87 s in the 3 cone --- Larry Fitzgerald posted  6.94 s at his combine

Edited by zzx

In my opinion he did well, I didn't think he looked like a wide receiver.  He had some hand issues (minor), didn't adjust well to some of the balls in the air 

i watched the the whole thing (all positions) looked a little tight & not quick for a receiver

Add 30 lbs. & IMO he makes a GOOD tight end

12 hours ago, Zipgrad01 said:

When you are a MAC player it doesn't help... AT ALL. Treadwell was the best known receiver from the SEC. huge difference 

That's the point right there.   When you already have other factors working against you, running a slow time could be devastating to your chances.

To me, I don't understand how a player who wants to go to the NFL doesn't definitely know what he can run.  Hoping you can run a certain time (per article) doesn't seem to make sense.  If having once run a faster time with a hand-held device was what you considered reliable data, that doesn't seem to make sense either.  I sure hope we can commit himself to doing everything he can to cut that time before his pro day.  

Check out MAC player, Antonio Brown's 40 times. Recently the highest paid receiver in the NFL was asked why he is so successful coming out of the MAC..."I work harder than anybody else." Jerome has the talent, if he works as hard as AB, I have no doubt he can have an NFL career. There is a great interview with Richard Sherman I saw this year, I can't seem to locate it right now, he was asked who the toughest receiver to cover was, his answer was AB, he went on to explain why and mentioned it had nothing to do with his speed because he didn't think he was that fast. Does it help to be the fastest guy on the field? Sure. Do you need to be? No. Underwear olympics will continue to create this argument. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Check out MAC player, Antonio Brown's 40 times. Recently the highest paid receiver in the NFL was asked why he is so successful coming out of the MAC..."I work harder than anybody else." Jerome has the talent, if he works as hard as AB, I have no doubt he can have an NFL career. There is a great interview with Richard Sherman I saw this year, I can't seem to locate it right now, he was asked who the toughest receiver to cover was, his answer was AB, he went on to explain why and mentioned it had nothing to do with his speed because he didn't think he was that fast. Does it help to be the fastest guy on the field? Sure. Do you need to be? No. Underwear olympics will continue to create this argument. 

I'm not saying it is impossible for him to play in the NFL. However, when you are a raw player at the position from a mid major you need to have off the chart measurables to "get drafted". Running a 4.61 puts you in the UDFA camp. I can't imagine a team willing to draft him. 

14 hours ago, Dr Z said:

I believe this is 100% accurate. At this point, it's in Jerome's hands. If he remains humble and learns how to really learn his craft, whatever position he ends up a, he can succeed, but he will have to work harder and smarter than he probably knows how to, at the moment. It's not a knock on Jerome, but the reality of learning what it takes to succeed at the next level. Hopefully, he finds a good mentor.

Bottom line on Jerome: He's too slow and and not sharp enough in his routes to create separation and be an effective receiver in the NFL. It would've done him well to train as an RB and use his natural gifts as a power runner with good size, quickness, and lateral speed to make the transition to the NFL.  His pass catching ability would also give him another tool to stand out as a 3rd down back.  After watching him for two years at receiver here and then seeing him in the combine drills, I just don't see him as a successful NFL WR.  His skill set would give him a much better opportunity to stand out in the backfield.

9 hours ago, InTheZone said:

Bottom line on Jerome: He's too slow and and not sharp enough in his routes to create separation and be an effective receiver in the NFL. It would've done him well to train as an RB and use his natural gifts as a power runner with good size, quickness, and lateral speed to make the transition to the NFL.  His pass catching ability would also give him another tool to stand out as a 3rd down back.  After watching him for two years at receiver here and then seeing him in the combine drills, I just don't see him as a successful NFL WR.  His skill set would give him a much better opportunity to stand out in the backfield.

http://giphy.com/gifs/Qe5oD5aXjEbKw

Edited by a-zip
  • Like 1

I wish he would have asked if any team interviewed him at the combine. My guess is no, but you never know. I do know one team that interviewed three MAC players, but Lane was not on their list. I did some googling, but come up empty. 

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:32 PM, Dr Z said:

I wish he would have asked if any team interviewed him at the combine. My guess is no, but you never know. I do know one team that interviewed three MAC players, but Lane was not on their list. I did some googling, but come up empty. 

I don't know if it was at the combine, but he did say, he has talked to the Browns.

On 12/3/2016 at 11:38 AM, Lee Adams said:

Too bad for the Zips. They surely could have used an experienced WR next season. With Natson gone and Lane choosing to leave that position doesn't look nearly as good as this year. Thats really gonna hurt whomever is next seasons QB.

Lane has a lot of raw physical ability. He is big and deceptively fast. His hands seemed to improve over time. Still doesn't appear to be a real good route runner but he is still a relative pup at WR. Next level he will have to improve if he wants to remain a wideout.

I wonder if some NFL team might look at his size and speed and take a shot with him as a tight end. Doubtful he can block but Ozzie and Antonio Gates sure made a nice living as TE's that could get open and catch.

Ummm still tight end to me.

• 2 weeks later...

EA of the PD reports that at Akron's pro day, Lane... "did 16 reps on the bench at 225 pounds at the indoor practice field, and said he posted his best vertical jump ever at 37 inches. Lane did not run a 40-yard-dash but said he is a consistent 4.5."The 40 is not big to me,'' Lane said. "My game speed shows up.''Lane is not considered a first-day draft pick, but he fits the measurables pro teams want on the flanks. That could make him a prime target in the late rounds of the draft, or as a priority free agent."

Pro Football Focus has Jerome listed as a top 25 receiver in their draft rankings.

jl7.jpg