Jerome Lane

zipsoutsider

Can potential NFL draftees decide to not hire an agent and if undrafted return to college? I know it's common practice in the NBA draft, and was thinking that might have been a better move for Lane. Since most people seem to think with a WR-heavy draft he might end up signing somewhere undrafted. 

I'm hoping the Browns take a chance on him. They did a good job making Pryor a receiver and think that coaching staff can help Lane become more polished.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, akzipper said:

I'm hoping the Browns take a chance on him. They did a good job making Pryor a receiver and think that coaching staff can help Lane become more polished.

Even though I find much of Pryor's actions and demeanor to be idiotic, his athletic gifts and speed are a whole level above Lane.  Remember, even with Pryor's notoriety, it still took a couple of years or so after his "I'm a WR now" declaration before someone was willing to hold onto him for long and work with him.  And even with all of the mistakes and dropped balls, someone from another organization is obviously still willing to show patience in hopes that he can still develop into something special.  

Would you expect someone to do the same with an un-drafted WR from Akron?  Not a chance.  He'll have to impress someone very early, if he gets the chance.  If not, he'll be quickly discarded.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2017 at 9:01 AM, skip-zip said:

Would you expect someone to do the same with an un-drafted WR from Akron? 

If drafted by the proper team with a consistent staff and solid veterans to show him how to become an NFL receiver, he will do just fine. Hopefully he can get drafted at the bottom of a round, and not the top. Just like Hixon.

PFF's evaluation is accurate, as always. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope Jerome lands with a stable organization, who have the maturity and depth to help him develop into a solid NFL player. I am concerned that a struggling program will be too distracted to help develop. Honestly, Pittsburgh would be a great place for him to land. I can see Antonio Brown taking a real interest in helping another MAC player develop. 

56 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Honestly, Pittsburgh would be a great place for him to land. I can see Antonio Brown taking a real interest in helping another MAC player develop. 

I follow the Steelers pretty close. Somebody like Jerome should be on this list if he had a good chance of being drafted by the Steelers. I agree, that he needs to get drafted by a team that has some established coaching and experienced veterans to have an increased chance of performing well.

draft-prospects-pit.png

23 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

CBS had him rated somewhere in the 60s among WRs after the combine.

Where did they rate AB when he come out? Edelman? How about Kenny Golladay this year? I was wondering how studied they are on the MAC receivers before I consider this being an important ranking. And when you write, "CBS", was it Pete Prisco, or someone else?

4 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Where did they rate AB when he come out? Edelman? How about Kenny Golladay this year? I was wondering how studied they are on the MAC receivers before I consider this being an important ranking. And when you write, "CBS", was it Pete Prisco, or someone else?

I wish I had access to historic rankings. They only have future rankings, probably because they don't want people to see who wrong they have been. Also, i don't know if it's Prisco or Spencer Hall, or some intern.

2 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

CBS had him rated somewhere in the 60s among WRs after the combine.

The one I cited at #30 was the one I counted that Dr. Z referenced from 3/7.    And I was thinking THAT one was bad news.  

I know I said many times on here that I thought his chances of getting drafter were ZERO.   But a few of you had posted some pundits' observations that gave me a very slim amount of hope that it would happen.  I'm actually sad for him that it didn't happen.  I still wish he had stayed, and think this was an ill advised decision for a number of different reasons, which starts with his "hope" that he could have run a faster 40 time.   You need to know more definitively about what you are going to register when you're measured by scouts, before you jump ship.  

I also did not think he was ready for the pros. Not because of his speed but because of his commitment to being the best i.e. practice habits, discipline (on and off the field), maturity. Physical attributes aren't the "be all" in the pros. Everybody is good. It's the intangibles that separates those who want to be a pro from those who can be a pro.

2 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

I wish I had access to historic rankings. They only have future rankings, probably because they don't want people to see who wrong they have been. Also, i don't know if it's Prisco or Spencer Hall, or some intern.

Zach,

CBS' overall rankings are from nfldraftscout.com ... CBS bought them out a couple years back. If you go to the aforementioned link, you can find their rankings all the way back to 1999. For example, they did miss on both Antonio Brown and Julien Edelman. They had Brown the No. 37 rated WR (he was the No. 22 picked in the draft) and they didn't have him in consideration as a draft pick, though he was the top solely rated UDFA WR. Edelman was ranked No. 56, and again wasn't on their list of even being in draft consideration.

With that being said, it's hard to accuse them of throwing together rankings. The site, overall, is probably as "accurate" as any. After all, they rank a top 1,000 prospect list and the database probably has 2,000 draft eligible prospects in it per year (if not more). 

Edited by wadszip