Jerome Lane

zipsoutsider

Looking at the Colts WR depth chart, seems like a good landing spot for both guys. Their top four is set with T.Y. Hilton, Donte Moncrief, Phillip Dorsett and Kamar Aiken, but after that it is nothing but guys who were late round picks or UDFAs:

Chester Rogers, 6-1, 181, UDFA: Was called up from the practice squad last year and had 19 catches for 273 yards (also fumbled twice)

Devin Street, 6-4, 190, 5th round (2014):  Has been on three rosters. Has 10 career catches for 152 yards (lost one fumble)

Quan Bray, 5-10, 186, UDFA: Had three catches for 36 yards last year (and for his career).

Tevaun Smith, 6-2, 201, UDFA: Has played in two career games without a catch.

Marcus Leak, 6-0, 209, UDFA: Has not appeared in any games.

You figure the Colts will keep six on the active roster. I like Lane's chances of beating out four of those guys. Natson probably has little shot at making the active roster, but may show enough to land on the practice squad.

Also, I see the Colts signed Trey Griffey (son of Ken Griffey Jr.). Was Torii Hunter Jr. in the draft? If not, they should sign him too. Actually, looked it up and see Hunter Jr. is now playing baseball.

Edited by wadszip

54 minutes ago, wadszip said:

Looking at the Colts WR depth chart, seems like a good landing spot for both guys. Their top four is set

Hmm.  I would think that "4 Guys Set", if true, would probably not be a good situation.  

Maybe this is where is where I wish they could have gone to a team like the Browns instead?  (not that I wish that on anyone....I'm so glad my boy Mitchell didn't end up there)

42 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Hmm.  I would think that "4 Guys Set", if true, would probably not be a good situation.  

Maybe this is where is where I wish they could have gone to a team like the Browns instead?  (not that I wish that on anyone....I'm so glad my boy Mitchell didn't end up there)

Yeah, I wish Lane would've signed with the Browns. But the situations aren't all that different. The Browns have three guys set ... Corey Coleman (first round pick last year), Kenny Britt (let Terrelle Pryor walk for him in FA) and Ricardo Louis (who the Browns traded up, I believe, to get in last year's draft, though fourth round). 

True, even with the three "safe" guys, there is not a lot there. But they also did just draft Rashard Higgins and Jordan Payton last year (albeit late), but considering they didn't draft a WR this year, or bring any in as UDFAs, probably shows they like both guys enough to keep them around for another year. Then, there is the outside shot that Josh Gordon is reinstated.

If the Browns do want to give the four guys they drafted in 2016 another year, along with Britt, it leaves one 53-man spot up in the air ... one that is filled by Gordon (in the maybe 20 percent chance he is reinstated). 

If Gordon isn't reinstated, Lane (or Natson) are competing against a bunch of UDFAs for the final spot. In Indy, it at least appears there is two spots open and they also will be going against UDFAs and one fifth-round pick, who is on his third team.

Edited by wadszip

Thanks for more info., Wadszip.  Yes, I was just thinking that if there's really 4 solid spots taken already somewhere, that would be a tough situation to step into.  Just thinking that there had to be plenty of places out there where there was real need.  Although, considering that they took Jerome and JoJo might indicate that they don't feel happy with their current situation?  Or, are they really just filling up spots to conduct camp?   Who knows.  

• 3 weeks later...

Lane: Waved by Colts

Lane was waived by the Colts on Monday, Tom James of The Tribune-Star reports.

Lane, who went undrafted out of Akron, signed with the Colts in early May but presumably failed to make much of an impression on the coaching staff during his brief stint with the team. He'll look to secure a depth receiver role elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Lane: Waved by Colts

Lane was waived by the Colts on Monday, Tom James of The Tribune-Star reports.

Lane, who went undrafted out of Akron, signed with the Colts in early May but presumably failed to make much of an impression on the coaching staff during his brief stint with the team. He'll look to secure a depth receiver role elsewhere.

Short lived career in the NFL.  I hope he took advantage of is education at Akron, and is ready to get a career in something he studied.  Whoever was giving him advice to leave Akron, was the worst person we could have listened to unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'd be willing to bet he won't make a 53 man roster opening day...

No deal. A lot has to go right for any UDFA to make an opening day roster, let alone one who got cut at rookie mini camp. Practice squad is a little more tempting of a bet to take, but can't make that bet in good conscience without knowing circumstances. I just don't buy that his football career is over just like that.

Edited by LZIp

20 minutes ago, LZIp said:

No deal. A lot has to go right for any UDFA to make an opening day roster, let alone one who got cut at rookie mini camp. Practice squad is a little more tempting of a bet to take. I just don't buy that his football career is over just like that.

It's very possible for him to get picked up by someone this early into camps. I'm just selling him having any chance of a prolonged NFL career. I'd be willing to bet he won't be on an NFL practice squad week 1 of the regular season. Would you be willing to take that bet?

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

It's very possible for him to get picked up by someone this early into camps. I'm just selling him having any chance of a prolonged NFL career. I'd be willing to bet he won't be on an NFL practice squad week 1 of the regular season. Would you be willing to take that bet?

Possibly. Have to see where he ends up first.

7 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

I knew he made a big mistake when he declared. I just can't understand what he could have been thinking.

Word is, he got this book for his birthday last year.

badadvice.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Ahem.

???

I stated it was very possible for him to get picked up by another team. I'm selling him having a legitimate NFL career which you seem to agree with by your refusal to accept my bet about him making an opening day roster. Hell you wouldn't even accept my bet when I lowered it to him making the taxi squad.

Edited by kreed5120

14 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

???

I stated it was very possible for him to get picked up by another team. I'm selling him having a legitimate NFL career which you seem to agree with by your refusal to accept my bet about him making an opening day roster. Hell you wouldn't even accept my bet when I lowered it to him making the taxi squad.

I do not believe I called you out sir.

A Home for Jerome?

The Zips coaches spoke a little about Jerome last Friday. They feel his NFL role will ultimately be H-back, or TE. They also feel a team with the patience to work with him for 1 or 2 years will be rewarded with a NFL player...whatever the position may be. He's too raw to contribute to an NFL team this season, but he has the tools to make it if he finds the right situation.

A coach also spoke of JoJo and expects that, if he is deemed to small for the NFL, his size and skill set is a perfect fit for the CFL.