Jerome Lane

zipsoutsider

49 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

To be fair only the top 10 or so C are drafted each from a pool of 351 D1 schools. There are really good college basketball teams that don't even get their best player drafted.

Whether Lane gets drafted or not heavily depends on how his numbers read at the combine.

If he gets invited to the combine. . .

21 hours ago, K92 said:

If he gets invited to the combine. . .

I would be a little surprised if he does, but I really don't know how they decide who gets invited. Keep in mind Jatavis didn't get invited to the underwear olympics either, but there were thirty scouts from twenty-two different teams at Akron's pro day last year. I would expect the same crew this year. 

Edit: There were more than 30 receivers drafted last year, 20 in rounds 5 or higher.

13 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'm wondering how someone who was placed in the 7-9 range in the MAC (3rd team) is rated by someone as 12 in the nation?  Maybe the MAC had nearly all of the nation's best receivers this year?

So the 2016 All MAC Teams are already selected? I hadn't seen them. Maybe someone can post the link. 

32 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'm wondering how someone who was placed in the 7-9 range in the MAC (3rd team) is rated by someone as 12 in the nation?  Maybe the MAC had nearly all of the nation's best receivers this year?

Easy, All-MAC teams are determined solely by statistic accumulation. It's not based off a players talent or potential talent like draft grades are. The best receiver in the world will put up garbage numbers if he doesn't have a QB that can deliver him the ball somewhat accurately. 

IDK how accurate him being ranked 12th best is, but if it is that translates to a 3rd or 4th round pick.

48 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'm wondering how someone who was placed in the 7-9 range in the MAC (3rd team) is rated by someone as 12 in the nation?  

One is based on statistical accomplishments, while the other is based on potential. In addition, they are two different leagues. The NFL has parity among it's participants.

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

One is based on statistical accomplishments, while the other is based on potential. In addition, they are two different leagues. The NFL has parity among it's participants.

Probably why Natson was 1st Team All MAC, but won't get much of a look from NFL scouts. But 3rd-teamer Lane will.

Are people forgetting something?  A player can test the water with pro scouts, but so long as they don't hire an agent and aren't drafted, they can return to their college team.  I'm hoping Jerome learns in this process that he'll be much more marketable to NFL teams if he has a great senior year.

5 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Are people forgetting something?  A player can test the water with pro scouts, but so long as they don't hire an agent and aren't drafted, they can return to their college team.  I'm hoping Jerome learns in this process that he'll be much more marketable to NFL teams if he has a great senior year.

I'm pretty sure that he has already hired an agent. I know an agent has been talking on Twitter as if he is representing Jerome. It seems that Mr. Lane has fully committed to this decision. 

Edited by UAZippers

14 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

As far as I know, that rule is only for basketball.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13142145/ncaa-proposes-new-nba-draft-rule-allow-underclassmen-return-school

On 12/7/2016 at 0:15 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Probably why Natson was 1st Team All MAC, but won't get much of a look from NFL scouts. But 3rd-teamer Lane will.

At this point Natson is a better prospect as special teams than Lane is as receiver. Lane is NOT a WR as the NFL evaluates them. Natson is a solid special teams prospect. I will say it again,Lane might be better off as a TE in the NFL. He is completely unsophisticated as an NFL WR. Not even at the level of a T.Pryor. Lane should have stayed. But, he probably saw that staying another season at Akron with what is going to be here wasn't going to improve his NFL standing. Playing on another losing team wouldn't help him at all.

10 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

But, he probably saw that staying another season at Akron with what is going to be here wasn't going to improve his NFL standing. Playing on another losing team wouldn't help him at all.

Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?  If Woody stays healthy next year we're gonna be killer & should win the East.

15 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

At this point Natson is a better prospect as special teams than Lane is as receiver. Lane is NOT a WR as the NFL evaluates them. Natson is a solid special teams prospect. I will say it again,Lane might be better off as a TE in the NFL. He is completely unsophisticated as an NFL WR. Not even at the level of a T.Pryor. Lane should have stayed. But, he probably saw that staying another season at Akron with what is going to be here wasn't going to improve his NFL standing. Playing on another losing team wouldn't help him at all.

Just how many 150lb guys do you think play in the NFL?

On 12/14/2016 at 9:12 PM, LZIp said:

Good question. I saw Tyler Gabriel being interviewed on his recent success yesterday, and JoJo popped into my mind. It's a cliche, but it's true, it's a copycat league. Within the last year, I stood next to JoJo, and Travis Benjamin, if there is a difference in their size and weight, I can't see it. TB is listed at 175...no way. 

I don't know know if JoJo has NFL aspirations. I hope he is at Akron's pro day. 

JoJo is rated 46 out of 382 WR's here. Also listed at 165. How many receivers did you watch in college football this year that have more talent than JoJo?

This is a year old, but you get the idea.

25 Lightest Players in the NFL

1Patrick MurrayKTB5' 7"160

2Cairo SantosKKC5' 8"160

3Jalen SaundersWRNO5' 9"165

4Nickell RobeyCBBUF5' 8"165

5Trindon HollidayWRSF5' 5"166

6Taylor GabrielWRCLE5' 8"167

7Dexter McClusterRBTEN5' 8"170

8Dri ArcherWRPIT5' 8"173

9Damaris JohnsonWRHOU5' 8"175

10Onterio McCalebbCBCIN5' 10"175

11Travis BenjaminWRCLE5' 10"175

12Marcus SherelsCBMIN5' 10"175

13Tony CarterCBDEN5' 9"175

14Robert NelsonCBCLE5' 9"175

15Chris WilliamsWRCHI5' 8"175

16Elbert MackCBHOU5' 10"175

17Tavon AustinWRSTL5' 8"176

18De'Anthony ThomasRBKC5' 8"176

19Alex HeneryKDET6' 1"177

20Solomon PattonWRTB5' 9"177

21T.Y. HiltonWRIND5' 9"178

22Jason VerrettCBSD5' 10"178

23Ace SandersWRJAX5' 7"178

24DeSean JacksonWRWAS5' 10"178

25Jayron HosleyCBNYG5' 10"178

According to the article below regarding the college advisory committee.

The college advisory committee includes NFL personnel evaluators as well as directors from the league’s sanctioned scouting organizations, National Football Scouting and BLESTO. The committee researches possible early entrants and provides one of three ratings: potential first round, potential second round, or neither, which is considered to be a recommendation to stay in school.

http://www.scout.com/college/north-carolina/story/1739091-trubisky-receives-first-round-nfl-grade?utm_source=SocialMedia&utm_medium=HootSuitePost&utm_campaign=HootSuite

On 12/14/2016 at 9:12 PM, LZIp said:

Ummm...He can put on a few pounds. Won't get drafted but he should get a free agent look. He is too quick,too shifty and too talented not to get a look. As for the comment about Lane leaving early,mistake. But he doesn't see the Zips being significantly better next season. Might be right on that one.