Jerry Slocum retires from YSU & Gary Waters retires from CSU

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

You can tell how little YSU cares about basketball based upon how long Slocum remained their coach.

And they beat us this year. :puke:And the Horizon Championship is on ESPN right now.- they could be represented by a 12-23 team.

Gary Waters and family put an offer in on the house next door to us when he first came to coach at Kent State.  I was glad he didn't accept the counter offer, would have been tough on me to keep my "Kent State Still Sucks" sign in the window...but it might have been fun to talk B-ball with him....

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

The icy hand of Mike Thomas claims it's first victim...

Do you think he signed up for the CSU gig to keep the status quo? I expect a "splash" hire at CSU in the near future.

WOW!  I'm sure I'm not the only one who hadn't heard!!  https://www.campuspressbox.com/2017/cleveland-state-throws-curve-tabs-mike-thomas-ad/

Youngstown news channel mentioned four names as "early favorites" to be contacted to gauge interest in the HC job.

Billy Donlan - Former Wright State coach

Geno Ford - Former Kent coach

Mike Fuline - Mount Union head coach

Rick McFadden - Akron assistant coach

Edited by mes102

41 minutes ago, mes102 said:

Youngstown news channel mentioned four names as "early favorites" to be contacted to gauge interest in the HC job.

Billy Donlan - Former Wright State coach

Geno Ford - Former Kent coach

Mike Fuline - Mount Union head coach

Rick McFadden - Akron assistant coach

Fuline would be the biggest slam dunk out of these 4. No offense to McFadden (2nd best hire), I just know that Fuline's name has been tossed around in the past by DI schools. I believe he runs a very strong program at Mount. Ford would be the worst hire, and then Donlan, in my opinion. 

15 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

Fuline would be the biggest slam dunk out of these 4. No offense to McFadden (2nd best hire), I just know that Fuline's name has been tossed around in the past by DI schools. I believe he runs a very strong program at Mount. Ford would be the worst hire, and then Donlan, in my opinion. 

I don't know about that.  Just on the surface, I see a longtime D-1 Asst. from a highly successful program, and longtime D-1 coach that's been at several different programs (and holds 2 MAC coach of the year awards).  And your pick is a Div. III coach with a .500 record this year who's now on a downslide from his best years a few years ago ? 

8 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I don't know about that.  Just on the surface, I see a longtime D-1 Asst. from a highly successful program, and longtime D-1 coach that's been at several different programs (and holds 2 MAC coach of the year awards).  And your pick is a Div. III coach with a .500 record this year who's now on a downslide from his best years a few years ago ? 

Right, but looking at it from YSU's perspective, Fuline would still be the bigger slam dunk in my opinion. He's younger, probably going to be cheaper than the rest, and I'd say he's more apt to stay long term. Geno Ford might have the better resume DI experience wise, but a school like YSU can't afford to overlook his tendency to make the quick jump to a school (especially with his presumed price tag), no matter what situation it leaves himself or his previous University with. Also, varying success at the DIII level is pretty explainable most of the time. Not to mention he's had 4 straight winning seasons, even if this year was closer to .500. Not to mention the fact that DIII basketball powerhouse Marietta is in the OAC. 

Again, just my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Chris Jent?  The OSWho assistant?  If that's true, here's his chance to get out before he's unemployed when Matta gets canned.  

I'm happy that Jeff saw his opportunity to get off the sinking ship.  

I could answer your question, but I don't know who OSWho is.