Jerry Slocum retires from YSU & Gary Waters retires from CSU

6 minutes ago, mes102 said:

McFadden grew up in Youngstown area. I think it would be Ford as best candidate on paper, but if McFadden wants the job, I think he'll be their first choice. 

I don't want him to go, but would be happy for him if he could get this job.  I'm just curious why you think that being from the Youngstown area would be a deciding factor over a clearly much more experienced and successful  guy with a lot of head coaching experience?  

3 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I don't want him to go, but would be happy for him if he could get this job.  I'm just curious why you think that being from the Youngstown area would be a deciding factor over a clearly much more experienced and successful  guy with a lot of head coaching experience?  

YSU may be thinking long term. Instead of hiring Ford, who would probably jump somewhere else in 3-4 yrs, maybe they feel since McFadden has been in Northeast Ohio practically his entire life, that it would be Dambrot-type hire where McFadden may decide to never leave YSU and be the "Dambrot of YSU." I think that may intrigue them to go with McFadden than someone like Ford.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ryan27WKBN/status/840653824033509376?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ryan27WKBN/status/840654023330017280?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

EDIT: My mind is blanking right now how to change the links to show the actual tweet(I blame the time change). If one of the moderators, want to change it, that woul be great. I tried going to "insert other media" and it wouldn't let me send it that way.

For those that wish to not click on it, it basically says YSU has serious interest in McFadden and that YSU attended the Akron MAC Semifinal game and that the interest is mutual. The tweets are via 27 WKBN sports reporter, a Youngstown news channel.

Edited by mes102

I really appreciate Rick's time at Akron and his commitment to the school, fan base, basketball program and KD. If he's interested in spreading hit wings to take that next step, I wish him absolutely nothing but the best and hope to see YSU on future home schedules (come on Rick, you KNOW we're tired of Coppin State, Malone, and Arkansas or North Carolina alphabet soup!). It will be interesting to see what success and philosophy he has regarding scheduling, offensive and defensive schemes, fostering intensity and focus and how his teams do when it ma... in crunch time.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoZips88 said:

I really appreciate Rick's time at Akron and his commitment to the school, fan base, basketball program and KD. If he's interested in spreading hit wings to take that next step, I wish him absolutely nothing but the best and hope to see YSU on future home schedules (come on Rick, you KNOW we're tired of Coppin State, Malone, and Arkansas or North Carolina alphabet soup!). It will be interesting to see what success and philosophy he has regarding scheduling, offensive and defensive schemes, fostering intensity and focus and how his teams do when it ma... in crunch time.  

+1

I'm sure Dambrot and McFadden will have some interesting recruiting battles. I think he'll be great for YSU. People can say what they want about Dambrot the coach, but his coaching tree has done well for themselves so far. I think Rick will be no different.

EDIT: Didn't want to keep adding posts, but figured this story fit this conversation. It's a Youngstown sports article from 2013. Looks like for us younger Zip fans that may not have known, McFadden was at OSWho when Tressel was there. I attached the link to the article if anyone is interested in reading it. Looking like McFadden to YSU is going to happen more and more every day now.

Struthers' McFadden doesn't regret switch to hoops

Edited by mes102
Additional info

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/11/2017 at 4:39 PM, Blue & Gold said:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, John :lol:

On 3/12/2017 at 0:18 AM, zippy5 said:

He'll probably end up at CSU

On 3/12/2017 at 0:19 AM, zippy5 said:

Also, he'll be good there

On 3/12/2017 at 0:24 PM, mes102 said:

If I had to predict

YSU -> McFadden 

CSU -> Ford

Miami -> Groce or Christian

These might provide a bit of levity now that the benefit of hindsight is available.

• Like 1

Yeah, those were awful predictions.

I thought we needed some changes, and McFadden being the YSU coach would have done that. I think Calhoun is a great hire for YSU.

I forgot about Ford's legal issues in Ohio, so I should have known better there.

I should have known better than thinking a "splash" name for Miami coach. Just doesn't fit their identity. 

I'll eat my crow now with some :CK_brew:

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Thad Matta canned at OSU. Seems kind of late in the offseason for such a move.

WOW.  Extremely late.  But no surprise at all, considering their rapid decline.  

I can't wait to hear why they waited until June.  What happened to the recent "we think he's the best guy to pull us out of this" vote of confidence?

38 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

WOW.  Extremely late.  But no surprise at all, considering their rapid decline.  

I can't wait to hear why they waited until June.  What happened to the recent "we think he's the best guy to pull us out of this" vote of confidence?

- Well I'll be.. first article I read said he is resigning after this season due to health reasons. Definitely a curious move

Edited by zippy5

Wow, OSU hamstrung themselves with this one.  Not that moving him along isn't the right thing to do, but doing it so late in the year just digs their hole deeper.  Rough year for Big10 coaches.  I think Crean is still looking.  OSU should hire him for no other reason than to ruin the Harbaugh holidays and family reunions!

Yeah, I can't imagine firing him was the plan initially or else it would have happened in March/April. I wonder if it was just a matter of his health worsening and OSU feeling its move to move on now instead of ruining next years recruiting class with a lame duck coach.

Thad had overstayed his welcome at OSU by several years. With that being said, I hope his health improves. As an OSU loather, I'm actually disappointed that they went their separate ways, because he was horrific for the program at this stage of his career. 

At the same time, I'm glad we snagged Groce so quickly. Being a product of the Matta coaching tree would've made him a favorite I would assume at this stage of the game. Crean is an obvious choice for them, but I want them to slip up on this hire and have to endure another 8 years of mediocrity. 

Edited by lilroodude
  • Like 1