Jerry Slocum retires from YSU & Gary Waters retires from CSU

Archie Miller would have been the no brainer choice had they made this decision in March.I suspect they end up hiring someone that is currently a head coach at the high major/mid-major level instead of settling for the scraps that are left on the unemployment line. That would create a trickle down effect.

Edited by kreed5120

Living here in central Ohio the two names I keep hearing are Billy Donovan (which I would consider highly doubtful myself) and Chris Mack at Xavier. I just would hate to see them poach some other school's current head coach at this point due to the time of year with respect to recruiting. An assistant coach or someone from the NBA ranks would create much less upheaval at the other team or program involved. I know every school has to put themselves first and not spend much time worrying about others but it just would seem less ethical to snatch someone's head guy at this time of year.

6 hours ago, skip-zip said:

i love much of your post, lilroodude.   But you'd have to be a little insane to think that the Suckeyes would even consider a coach who just got fired after posting an impressive 37-53 record in the same conference.  

Definitely something to consider. However, who is out there? OSUcks isn't a desirable job by any means unless you're from the Matta coaching tree or grew up an Suckeyes fan. I don't see any coach at the P5 level leaving their current gig for the Suckeyes gig at this point. They're most likely going to have to target a Mid-Major coach or an unemployed candidate. 

Any coach at the P5 level?  OSU has great facilities and a lot of money to pay a coach.  They may not get the top tier guy, but I think they'll get someone with more name recognition and a better resume than a mid-major coach or an unemployed candidate. Thad was a top-10 paid coach in the country.  They can offer a lot of cash to get a "bigger" name to run the program.

15 minutes ago, ZipGrad93 said:

I think they'll get someone with more name recognition and a better resume than a mid-major coach

What's wrong with a mid-major coach who's been successful?  I think that's exactly where they will end up, considering their current condition.  

1 hour ago, lilroodude said:

Definitely something to consider. However, who is out there? OSUcks isn't a desirable job by any means unless you're from the Matta coaching tree or grew up an Suckeyes fan. I don't see any coach at the P5 level leaving their current gig for the Suckeyes gig at this point. They're most likely going to have to target a Mid-Major coach or an unemployed candidate. 

I would guess pretty much any candidate that would have been interested a couple months ago would still be interested now assuming they didn't take another gig. It's not the norm, but it's really not that late for a coaching change. For comparison, Matta was hired on July 7th. I don't think they make the move without having a really good idea who the next guy will be.

Edited by zippyman23

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:39 PM, skip-zip said:

What's wrong with a mid-major coach who's been successful?  I think that's exactly where they will end up, considering their current condition.  

By the looks of it, you may be right!  My point was that OSU could throw enough money to draw a "name" coach, although I'm not sure they're going to do that.  I'm not quite sure what the AD's plan is.

9 hours ago, Buckzip said:

Since you guys are so concerned, I can tell you that unless something changes tonight, the new coach will be Chris Holtmann from Butler.  Sorry guys. 

Yeah, after McDermott told them no. 

Looks like Holtmann at least played on the same team as Groce, if not graduated with him. Both are 45 and attended Taylor University. Maybe we can finally get OSU on the schedule?

If Holtmann is indeed their next head coach, I wish him nothing but good health and failure. 

Edited by lilroodude
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

Yeah, after McDermott told them no. 

Looks like Holtmann at least played on the same team as Groce, if not graduated with him. Both are 45 and attended Taylor University. Maybe we can finally get OSU on the schedule?

If Holtmann is indeed their next head coach, I wish him nothing but good health and failure. 

McDermott was never offered. You should probably not believe everything you read. If you think McDermott is a better choice, you, and probably every fan not on this site, will just have to agree to disagree.  You may want to compare resumes. Especially looking at McDermott record without his son. Carry on. 

28 minutes ago, Buckzip said:

McDermott was never offered. You should probably not believe everything you read. If you think McDermott is a better choice, you, and probably every fan not on this site, will just have to agree to disagree.  You may want to compare resumes. Especially looking at McDermott record without his son. Carry on. 

Officially offered or not, McDermott said no to something. I'm not saying McDermott is a better choice at all. I don't really care who OSUcks hires from a resume standpoint - I hate that school, hence why I'm posting on an Akron board and find it funny that McDermott said no. It's being talked about because it does affect Akron, especially if Holtmann is hired and we start seeing OSUcks on Akron's schedule. 

• Like 1

I was glad to see McDermott stay at Creighton. That's a community that supports their team. They're consistently among the tops in the country in attendance despite not making a Sweet 16 since 1972. Those are real fans. I wish Akron had a fan base that was half as good.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

Officially offered or not, McDermott said no to something. I'm not saying McDermott is a better choice at all. I don't really care who OSUcks hires from a resume standpoint - I hate that school, hence why I'm posting on an Akron board and find it funny that McDermott said no. It's being talked about because it does affect Akron, especially if Holtmann is hired and we start seeing OSUcks on Akron's schedule. 

Like I said, he was never offered, but you believe what you want to believe.You probably watch MSNBC too and believe everything they say.  Interesting that you say you don't care about that school, but you, along with one other, never miss a chance to post about that school. LOL. I am sure he is busy right now or he would have already chimed in with some childish name calling too. I apologize for making you upset. Please continue. I will not post anymore on this. Just wanted to keep you guys in the loop, because I could tell you were so concerned. 

Edited by Buckzip

That's a good hire for Ohio State.  It's a recent development, but just wondering, out loud, if we might have a shot at either Henry Badley (STVM) or Kyle Young (Jackson) transferring here now that Holtmann's left Butler?

Edited by Blue & Gold

48 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

That's a good hire for Ohio State.  It's a recent development, but just wondering, out loud, if we might have a shot at either Henry Badley (STVM) or Kyle Young (Jackson) transferring here now that Holtmann's left Butler?

I'm going to say no. Groce couldn't get the Illinois transfers whom he coached. If those kids wanted to play for Akron, they'd be here. It's far more likely one of or both would transfer to OSU. 

Edit: It's not meant to be a knock on Groce. I think he has done great in his short time here. I just don't see kids wanting to drop from the Big East big stage to the MAC unless they are being forced out.

Edited by kreed5120

8 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Groce couldn't get the Illinois transfers whom he coached. If those kids wanted to play for Akron, they'd be here.

Whether some people want to believe it or not, we've gone from a situation of stability, great success, and relative certainty......to a situation where nobody knows what is going to happen to Akron Basketball.  Having tons of our current players leave doesn't help.  Having no Illinois players show interest in following their coach probably doesn't look good either.  I'd have to agree that if these Akron area players didn't want to come here previously, the current situation isn't likely to increase their appeal.  

6 hours ago, lilroodude said:

Of course McDermott was offered. Every coach that accepts a job is always the only one offically offered. No one wants word to get out that they were rejected, but this one's fairly obvious as it's been reported basically everywhere.