2017 Zips NFL Prospects

• 1 month later...

Spring League's roster shows variety of backgrounds for players trying to catch NFL's eye

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/04/spring_leagues_roster_shows_va.html

Wide receivers: Sedderick Cunningham, Furman; Kenzel Doe, Wisconsin; Brandon Gibson, Washington State; Da'Je Johnson, Texas; Terrance Lewis, Alcorn State; Gavin Lutman, Pittsburgh State; Tyler McDonald, South Carolina State; Jalen Saunders, Oklahoma; James Shaw, Jacksonville State; Lawrence Smith, Akron; Reese Wiggins, East Carolina; J.D. Woods, West Virginia.

If the league doesn't work out...would love to see more Zips in the Olympics 

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Bobsled-Skeleton-Federation/Join-the-team/Join-the-Team

Here’s your chance to take your skills from the running track or from the fields and bring it to the ice. USA Bobsled & Skeleton is seeking the next generation of medalists at combine events across the United States every summer.

USA Bobsled & Skeleton athletes have won 32 medals in the Winter Olympic Games and dozens more in World Cup and World Championships competitions. Historically, the team’s medalists have been mined from a variety of sports. Skills leaned while competing in various sports, combined with a dedication to be a team player can easily transition you to the ice.

Edited by ZippyRulz

19 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Welp 0'fer.

This summarizes the lack of my interest in Zips football in a nutshell. I follow this board religiously, but rarely attend games a matter of miles from my home.  Complete lack of NFL talent and college atmosphere.  It is sad that I have to travel to Ashland to achieve either/or...

• Like 1

Per the University, five Akron Zips– DB Larry Hope (Miami Dolphins), WR Jerome Lane (Indianapolis Colts), DE Jamal Marcus (Cleveland Browns), WR JoJo Natson (Indianapolis Colts), and DT Se'Von Pitman (Tampa Bay)– have signed as rookie free agents with NFL teams.

• Like 1

Five Akronites signed this past week:

1. Jerome Lane (WR / Firestone / Akron) signed by Indianapolis

2. LaTroy Lewis (DL / Hoban / Tennessee) signed by Oakland

3. Corey Smith (WR / Buchtel / Ohio State) signed by Cincinnati

4. Aregeros Turner (WR / Copley / Toledo) signed by Chicago

5. D.J. Dowdy (TE / North / Cincinnati) signed by Indianapolis

Edited by Blue & Gold

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

DeAndre Scott didn't sign w/ anyone but Larry Hope did?  Hmm... ?

--DeAndre might still get a tryout

--Larry put on some muscle this past year and has good size for an NFL CB 

--Maybe Larry had a good Pro day

--Larry had somewhat better stats than DeAndre in 2016

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Five Akronites drafted this past week:

1. Jerome Lane (WR / Firestone / Akron) drafted by Indianapolis

2. LaTroy Lewis (DL / Hoban / Tennessee) drafted by Oakland

3. Corey Smith (WR / Buchtel / Ohio State) drafted by Cincinnati

4. Aregeros Turner (WR / Copley / Toledo) drafted by Chicago

5. D.J. Dowdy (TE / North / Cincinnati) drafted by Indianapolis

Drafted?

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Canton Rep dot com

DeAndre Scott didn't sign w/ anyone but Larry Hope did?  Hmm... ?

I can't get into the mind of an NFL scout, but I would have also thought that this would have definitely been the other way around.  

2 hours ago, zzx said:

--Larry put on some muscle this past year and has good size for an NFL CB 

7 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I wonder if it hurt Scott that he saw few highlights because everyone avoided throwing near him last year? 

Maybe so.  Good luck to Larry.  Maybe he's going to be one of those guys like Alleman that comes out of nowhere to make a squad.  

Andy Alleman was picked in the third round by the New Orleans Saints in the 2007. Alleman, the 88th pick overall, at the time, he was the fourth-highest UA player ever picked behind Charlie Frye (pick 67 in 2005), Jason Taylor (pick 73 in 1997) and Dwight Smith (pick 84 in 2001).

16 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Andy Alleman was picked in the third round by the New Orleans Saints in the 2007. Alleman, the 88th pick overall, at the time, he was the fourth-highest UA player ever picked behind Charlie Frye (pick 67 in 2005), Jason Taylor (pick 73 in 1997) and Dwight Smith (pick 84 in 2001).

I'm well aware of the his numbers, draft position, and how it compares to other Zips.  I followed his career closely since I know his parents.    

I'm talking about the fact that none of us expected him to play in the NFL while he was here.  He never even got any MAC accolades.   Read the post by ZZX about some things that Larry may have done recently to bring himself out of obscurity as well.