Akron Zips v Ball State Cardinals: MAC Semi Finals

NWAkron

1 hour ago, HenryMuto said:

I am a Kentucky fan but I live in Ohio so I am the rare person that actually wants to see an Akron vs Kent State final as I root for both your teams so for me seeing either of you make the NCAA tournament I am happy but for this year I would root for you guys because you have the better team.  I know that is something neither fan base can understand.

I understand and agree completely.  Although, I think we might have a better chance against the Bobcats.  Kent is playing very well right now.  I seriously doubt the players will allow any emotions to prevent their playing their best.  Kent and Ohio are tied up early in the other semifinal.

2 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Not enough movement off the ball

I was actually really impressed with Ball State's movement. It gave them a lot of good looks from 3, and was really the only thing that kept them in the game. Seemed like the Zips spent a little too much time standing around and waiting for the ball to come to them.

Three of my four kids are Akron fans.  One roots for Kent (I don't know where I went wrong).  Needless to say, I will only be bringing three of my kids.  :-)

It will be my 5 year-old's first MAC Championship game.

Edited by zipsrule
  • Like 1

Great game.  Antino and Big Dog had big games.  Noah once again played a smart game and had some nice takes to the basket.  Did not force up any three pointers and drew an offensive foul.  I was surprised to see Dunn Martin come in with less than 5 minutes left in the game and Noah got some rest.  I wondered if KD wants to make sure that Noah is fresh for the finals.  Big Dog played 37 minutes again.  He is definitely the go to guy when we needed a basket.  This team is doing a great job getting turnovers.  Much more aggressive on defense than during the season.

There must have been at least 10 offensive fouls called during the game.  Not sure if I have seen that called in one game during the season.  Looking forward to seeing Big Dog versus Hall tomorrow night.  Hall had a great game for Kent and Big Dog is leading the way for Akron.  Big matchup and big game.  Go Zips!!!

2 hours ago, akzipper said:

I was actually really impressed with Ball State's movement. It gave them a lot of good looks from 3, and was really the only thing that kept them in the game.

Yes, very disciplined offensively.  They always rotated the ball well to get to the best option.  And tonight, they made the shots too.  Luckily, the space we created in the initial stages of this game kept them from completely climbing the hill to catch us.  

18 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Big Dog played 37 minutes again.

They tried getting Big Dog rest in the 2nd half, however, Poke picked up 2 fouls in a matter of 30 seconds. The only reliable option we have to fill in for Big Dog at C is sliding Cheatham to the 5 while Utomi plays the 4, however, Cheatham has found himself in foul trouble both games so far.

Poke just doesn't know how to play smart and Big Mike has fallen out of the rotation.

4 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The only reliable option we have to fill in for Big Dog at C is sliding Cheatham to the 5 while Utomi plays the 4, however, Cheatham has found himself in foul trouble both games so far.

Right.  We were in the same dilemma both nights.  We never had the luxury of playing the Kwan/Utomi front line because of Kwan's foul trouble.  

The good news?  Kwan has only played barely 20 min. both nights so far.  And we're going to need to lean on his fresh legs a bit more tomorrow night to defend and rebound.  

5 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Poke is still growing into his body or something.

Here's the deal.  He's really no different than any other player who has to rely on his shot blocking ability, rather than his body strength, to stop people around the basket.  It gets you out of position so often when you overplay someone because you are looking for blocks.  He left his feet so bad one time biting on a ball fake and let a guy duck under him and score pretty easily. 

But there's still 2 good things that can come out of all of this.  He might just become such a great shot blocker that we'll live with it.  Or, he'll learn to be a little more disciplined with age/experience and gain another 20 lbs. and maybe become much more like of a prototype post defender.