Akron Zips v Kent State Golden Flashes: The MAC Championship

NWAkron

So excited for the game tomorrow. No doubt the Kent is a hot team having won 8 of their last 9, but we were their one loss in there. 

Zips did a great job handling Hall in the second half of last weeks game. Looking forward to Big Dog having another big game!! 

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

There are some eerie parallels to that game.  We were 6th seed.  Kent was #1.  Kent beat Ball State to get into final.  We beat the #2 and #3 seeds to get to final. 

Unbelievable.  I had been thinking about this since Kent won tonight, and I didn't know how many people remember that we were following exactly the same path to the title that they are following this year.   The roles are just reversed.  

I think the difference in the two games vs. Kent this year is that they asked some other guys to play great games at Rhodes, and those guys played remarkably.  In Kent, they went back to relying on Hall to try to win the game for them.   But tomorrow night, a tired Hall won't be able to carry the load for them after 4 games in 6 days, and their 2nd line people will prove again that their performance at the JAR was a total fluke.   

There will be nowhere else to turn for the Flashes.  Zips by 18.  

I looked at box scores and minutes played last night for both teams.  Our guards should be fresher.  Big Dog and Hall about even in minutes.  Kent is a high turnover team.  And a tired Kent...Will suck even more 

Kwan has to be really well-rested.  They need to keep their cool.

Edited by NWAkron

27 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Kwan has to be really well-rested.  

I'll say it again here.  He's played only 40 minutes total in the last 2 nights.  He's the guy who should have to energy to be able to rebound and defend tonight.  And that will be the key to closing this game out as early as possible.  

This is where you really reap the fruits of your labor all season long......earning that bye to Thursday, and getting to play the #8 and #4 enroute to the title game.    

7 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

Noah and Kwan have to show up.

That's been the mystery with this team every game this year.  SOMEONE always shows up to make a difference. Last night, it was an incredible game by Antino at both ends of the floor.   If we could ever get to the point where MULTIPLE people show up, we'd be able to kick a team like this Kent State team all the way back to Portage County by halftime.  

Edited by skip-zip

37 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I looked at box scores and minutes played last night for both teams.  Our guards should be fresher.  Big Dog and Hall about even in minutes.  Kent is a high turnover team.  And a tired Kent...Will suck even more 

I'm actually alarmed when I really look closely at Kent's minutes last night.

Playing the late game semifinal game on Friday, they played 5 guys more than 30 minutes.  And 3 of them played 38,39.and 37 minutes.  And that game was no slowdown half court contest.  

2 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

Can't also played that OT game on Monday against CMU. Their 5 starters played more than 30 minutes, with their main 4 playing 40+. 

Thanks for pointing that out.  And that was a really fast-paced game.  

That many guys, playing that many minutes while playing 5 games in 8 days really should be taking its toll.  

I'm so fortunate that we got 20,20, 17 and 17 out of Josh and Daniel the last two nights.  That should really help.  And getting 11 out of Tavian last night might help also.  

Seemed like their guard play hitting the 3 at the JAR is what elevated them over us there. I have to think with heavy minutes played (assuming what is mentioned above is correct), there will be some tired legs, thus making that less of a threat tonight. Key in on Hall. I hope Kwan can deliver when it matters most. No more foul trouble.