Evaluating Coach Dambrot

RooYahoo

26 minutes ago, Blackburn said:

EA? Who/What is that?

What have I said that mentioned KD should be fired?  I specifically said the opposite... Confused...

Elton Alexander.

I stated that because you joined hours before that article was published and you follow a broad array of Cleveland sports. Figured I'd try to resolve my curiosity. My evidence is unsubstantial and it is vastly more likely you're not than you are him. I'll take your word for it. 

Anyways welcome to the forum.

Edit: Sorry for the extra posts. My computer must have acted up.

Edited by kreed5120

We made it, but as what has become the norm in the media, there is a negative bias spin put on that article when mentioning ZipsNation.

Aside from the 1 or 2 people posting on here who do actually want KD fired, the rest of us are simply critiquing Dambrot's system. This is more of an evaluation of his tenure, where we have been, where we are, and the direction in which we want this program to head. I don't see a single thing wrong with that. Mid-Majors are the "Welcome Mats" for the P5 teams. I think I can speak for everyone when I say, our apologies for wanting to take the next step and not be a Welcome mat anymore.

Maybe EA can use his Cleveland.com fame and write a more powerful article that rips big schools for not playing solid Mid-Majors. After all, that is what Dambrot says is the main reason for not playing some of these bigger schools, and if EA is defending Dambrot and criticizing his criticizers, he should be trying to affect change to help Dambrot. 

Not sure if any of you saw this or the result.

Edited by lilroodude

16 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

We made it, but as what has become the norm in the media, there is a negative bias spin put on that article when mentioning ZipsNation.

Aside from the 1 or 2 people posting on here who do actually want KD fired, the rest of us are simply critiquing Dambrot's system. This is more of an evaluation of his tenure, where we have been, where we are, and the direction in which we want this program to head. I don't see a single thing wrong with that. Mid-Majors are the "Welcome Mats" for the P5 teams. I think I can speak for everyone when I say, our apologies for wanting to take the next step and not be a Welcome mat anymore.

Maybe EA can use his Cleveland.com fame and write a more powerful article that rips big schools for not playing solid Mid-Majors. After all, that is what Dambrot says is the main reason for not playing some of these bigger schools, and if EA is defending Dambrot and criticizing his criticizers, he should be trying to affect change to help Dambrot. 

Not sure if any of you saw this or the result.

Read the comments section for that ESPN article. Most of the fans from the P-5 schools say f-you to the mid-majors, we don't owe you a game.

10 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Read the comments section for that ESPN article. Most of the fans from the P-5 schools say f-you to the mid-majors, we don't owe you a game.

There are quite a few defenders of the Mid-Majors, though. And quite frankly, it doesn't matter what the fans think. It's not anything we didn't already know - P5 schools and fan bases think their crap doesn't stink. 

41 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

I would love to read about Ole Miss fans dissing us in an article stating they were coming to play at the JAR

I do know who Elton is, by name only, of course.  Anyways, I do question the staff. I am not saying they are bad people or any of that.  I am saying that there are people within KDs reach that would benefit the program.  I have NO CLUE why he doesn't reach out to them. (Or maybe he has, I don't know). But I do know that others on here feel the same way. KD can't keep this up on his own Imo. He needs basketball brains around him. Not slighting anyone on staff now, but I think that we all agree nothing has changed and nothing has improved. If all these other teams in the country bring in an additional staff member, coaches assistant or whatever, then maybe that could benefit KD and the Zips too.

18 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm with you. There are MAC teams that I would cheer for if they were to make the tourney (Ball State, WMU, Bowling Green, etc.). Kent and Ohio don't make that list.

Yeah. I'm bitter and not ashamed to admit it. I hope they get smoked

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

per Jeff Goodman about KD USF job.

Akron’s Keith Dambrot turned down South Florida in fear of a ravaged roster, source told ESPN. AD Mark Harlan wanted someone to clean it up. 

Thinking about it more, I'm sure he made the wise decision. USF is down to 8 players, maybe less, and it would (will) likely take at least a few years to get back to competitive status in the AAC and a chance at an NCAA berth. At Akron the chance to win the MAC tourney is there every year, even if not a top seed going in. If the progress at USF was inadequate after 3-4 years and he's let go, he might be done for good at this level. At Akron he can likely stay as long as he wants. The extra money in the AAC would have been nice for him but he doesn't really need it and in the long run the additional security at UA is probably worth more. 

lol....can't even compete in the NIT. Hilarious.

Dambrot has zero significant wins for this program. Never a big game upset. Never been competitive in the post season. Plays a soft schedule to pad Ws just to flame out year over year in the very weak MAC conference tournament. Never produced a big time player. Very little impact recruits. 

Dominates the MAC, one of the weakest conferences in the entire NCAA. But hey...keep getting those 20 win seasons in a HS gym.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Roo said:

Dambrot has zero significant wins for this program. Never a big game upset. Never been competitive in the post season. Plays a soft schedule to pad Ws just to flame out year over year in the very weak MAC conference tournament. Never produced a big time player. Very little impact recruits. 

Dominates the MAC, one of the weakest conferences in the entire NCAA. But hey...keep getting those 20 win seasons in a HS gym.

Ouch.

19 hours ago, Roo said:

This post is riddled with erroneous information, but I'm too damn tired to do it anymore.  Just find another program to cheer for if it's that bad.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, UAZip0510 said:

This post is riddled with erroneous information, but I'm too damn tired to do it anymore.  Just find another program to cheer for if it's that bad.

Not a single error in there buddy.

They have never beaten a top program, their small handful of wins against the power conference teams have been in significant down years. FSU in the NIT?? I guess you could count that, but bragging about NIT wins is not a very good position to be in.

The MAC is one of the lower rung mid majors. When was the last win a MAC team has had in the NCAAs? Early 2000's? 1 win in what, nearly 20 years? MAC had a good run there in the late 90s, has gone way down hill from there.

Soft schedule is a fact. They play schools at the JAR as a former college basketball player, I had no idea existed. But Dambrot will find any no name school to schedule to get an easy W to pad the most worthless 20 win streak record going.

Zeke was the only high rate recruit he has landed, then failed to develop him to be an impact player in the MAC. No other big recruits, he can't even keep local kids from St V that are highly rated with his connection to that school. Josh Williams is his only St V kid the he hasn't personally coached, correct? I may be wrong there.

Akron is not my primary school. I didn't go to school there, I don't live in the area anymore but I will always pull for local teams and I wish they would do more. I'd never go see a game in a HS arena against teams I have never heard of to watch guys that are so so college players. But I represent Joe Akron as you all call them and just pointing out the obvious.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Roo said:

No other big recruits, he can't even keep local kids from St V that are highly rated with his connection to that school.

This has been a concern and disappointment for me.  Especially considering KD's history and ongoing relationship with the school & head coach, Dru Joyce II.  Over the past 3 years we've struck out on 3 players who are difference makers:

Jalen Hudson - signed with Virginia Tech.

Henry Badley - signed with Butler.

Jayvon Graves - signed with Buffalo.

There is no acceptable reason to lose out on Graves to Buffalo.  None.  We have to look in the mirror and deeply re-evaluate things if we're losing a STVM kid to the Bulls.  Jalen Hudson to VT & Henry Badley to Butler are much easier to rationalize... but those are precisely the kinds of players we have to sign to take the next step.  We didn't lose out on them to Duke, Kansas or even Ohio State.  And there they were on a silver platter at STVM.

Edited by Blue & Gold

8 hours ago, Roo said:

Not a single error in there buddy.

The MAC is one of the lower rung mid majors. When was the last win a MAC team has had in the NCAAs? Early 2000's? 1 win in what, nearly 20 years? MAC had a good run there in the late 90s, has gone way down hill from there.

OU 2010 & 2012...otherwise pretty much agree...ZERO signature wins....said it before...THIS is your ceiling with dambrot

8 hours ago, Roo said:

Zeke was the only high rate recruit he has landed, then failed to develop him to be an impact player in the MAC. No other big recruits

I was with you until that.... To say Zeke wasn't an impact player in the MAC is laughable. Zeke Marshall is 7' tall... If Zeke was as good as you think/or wasn't as you think he could've been, he wouldn't have been playing at UA. 7 footers that can play basketball and have big dreams, aren't playing in the MAC. No team in the the MAC (and other conferences like the MAC) are getting top recruits. None.

I may want more from the program from an OCC schedule perspective, winning more than the MAC regular season title, etc., but compared to the rest of the MAC, KD had done a pretty damn good job of getting players to Akron that put them in a position to win games in the MAC. (higher expectations of winning more than the MAC is a different argument)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sportsjunkie330 said:

I was with you until that.... To say Zeke wasn't an impact player in the MAC is laughable. Zeke Marshall is 7' tall... If Zeke was as good as you think/or wasn't as you think he could've been, he wouldn't have been playing at UA. 7 footers that can play basketball and have big dreams, aren't playing in the MAC. No team in the the MAC (and other conferences like the MAC) are getting top recruits. None.

I may want more from the program from an OCC schedule perspective, winning more than the MAC regular season title, etc., but compared to the rest of the MAC, KD had done a pretty damn good job of getting players to Akron that put them in a position to win games in the MAC. (higher expectations of winning more than the MAC is a different argument)

I'm with you.  To say that Zeke was not an impact player is ludicrous.  He is the all-time shot block leader for the conference.  Let me know when someone breaks that.  Could Zeke have been better?  Of course, but that can be said about EVERY PLAYER THAT EVER LACED 'EM UP.

The hyperbole on this board is ridiculous at times.

• Like 4

As I recall, Zeke Marshall was the MAC  Defensive POY twice, the MAC Tournament MVP, and on the All- MAC more than once.  Saying he wasn't an impact player is revisionist history.

As for  UA not getting Akron kids, sometimes that has to do with the kid.  I'm not excusing every loss of a kid, but sometimes they want to go away.   

• Like 1

Zeke was such a game changer, it was nuts. He would make the 2017 Zips look like a competent defensive team. Not only did he block 5 shots a game, or whatever the number was, he altered so many more. He allowed the guards to be more aggressive on the perimeter. He dominated the MAC in a way that didn't totally reflect on a box score.