Evaluating Coach Dambrot

RooYahoo

10 hours ago, zippy5 said:

I don't think I'd call it stagnant. If we scored 6 more points Saturday, we'd be talking about 3 of the last 5 regular season champs and dancing 2 of those years. We obviously didn't. But I don't think that makes us stagnant. If I remember right, we had 1 regular season title before 2013. We have 3 since then. I think that shows we're consistently getting better. We finished 3 games up on every one but stumbled on a Saturday night. I can't argue that we've had trouble in the big games, but I don't think that means we're stagnant either. I think we're all in agreement that we want more. It's very frustrating that we've really dominated the conference the past 5 years but only have one NCAA bid to show. The life of a mid-major.

I would say it is stagnant.  It's been in the exact same place that it has been for the last four years: not making the NCAA Tournament AND lose in round one of the NIT, or CIT (hopefully they don't this year, but I'm not holding my breath).  At some point you've got to take that next step.  You've got to start winning those "Big" games.  Sure we didn't get the NCAA last four years...but we've gotten cracks at the NIT and still can't make anything happen.

And the stagnant stature of the program includes attendance.  The Zips have reached their threshold, and we saw it at the games this year.  There hasn't been a drastic increase in attendance at games, and it's been relative the same for the last 4 years with a drop-off from 2013.  Now of course the stadium probably pays a role into this, but even with a New Stadium are more than 3,200 people going to start showing up?  I'd argue their not.  

I mean at some point you've got to win a game of significance to not be considered stagnant IMHO.  When was the last game of significance we won?  2013 MAC Championship?

10 hours ago, UAZip0510 said:

I guess I don't get where you think they don't give a damn about taking the next step...?

Everything with the Zips has been the same for the last 4 years (and I'd argue probably longer, but I'm using the time frame of since 2013 as a metric).  Marketing, season ticket benefits, gameday experience, opponents, results vs. Big Opponents, Stature in the MAC (Top, but not good enough to be in the NCAA Tournament), Game Strategy.  

They had some pretty terrific promotions, including that LBJ jersey giveaway. I myself have noted there are some changes I'd like to see in the Gameday experience, but overall I feel they do a great job. Short of paying people, which they have somewhat did in the past with free tuition giveaways, I don't see how they'd consistently crack 4,000 at the JAR. Tickets are already about as cheap as they get. A new arena I agree would probably provide a short-term boost, but attendance would eventually trickle down to today's numbers. Short of becoming the next Wichita State or Gonzage I don't see that changing.

Edit: It's more likely Dambrot has taken this program as far as it can go given the constraints of playing in the MAC and our less than ideal facilities. Every year he puts us in a position to succeed, but we still need the ball to bounce our way a few times if we are to win. Our 3 point % against Kent showed "luck" wasn't on our side. This team was always going to need offense to win. I could have told you they were going to lose given their % from 3 and the free throw line.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

I actually think a decent arena with some suites and club seating would boost average attendance over 5K. It's not that unreasonable to think there are 1,500 people out there who are interested in the Zips that don't want to sit on bleachers with crappy concession options. I know it was for the MAC championship, but we had to have had 7,500 at the Q, almost an hour away from campus. This is for a different thread though :lol:

32 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

$60 for a season GA ticket to 15 games.  It isn't getting more reasonable than that.  Also, as much as we'd like to see more people at the JAR, UA is consistently in the top third in MAC attendance.  

$60 is pretty reasonable, and fitting of the sub par high school type game experience.  I have done season tickets to basketball, and multi-game passes in the past.  The fact that once you get to the game, you are better off just leaving if you want food or need the restroom is terrible for the whole experience.  Enough so that my wife will no longer go to basketball games because it is a chore to even get to a restroom.  Think about that for a minute.  People feel put out to go to the restroom or get concessions at a basketball game.  

There are minor changes that can be made that would improve the current experience, but is it worth it?  People already know the JAR, they know what they are getting.  I don't see minor upgrades changing people's opinion of that dump.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, g-mann17 said:

There are minor changes that can be made that would improve the current experience, but is it worth it?  People already know the JAR, they know what they are getting.  I don't see minor upgrades changing people's opinion of that dump.

+1.  Any upgrades they may or may not do to the JAR should be strictly looked upon as a stop gap measure until they build a new arena.  

33 minutes ago, g-mann17 said:

The fact that once you get to the game, you are better off just leaving if you want food or need the restroom is terrible for the whole experience.  Enough so that my wife will no longer go to basketball games because it is a chore to even get to a restroom.  Think about that for a minute.  People feel put out to go to the restroom or get concessions at a basketball game.  

This is another inconvenient truth.  Whenever I take a friend to the game & they ask where the restrooms are, I just take them myself because I know it's difficult to find if you don't know where it is.  (One restroom?! Are you kidding me?! Jeesh.)

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

This is another inconvenient truth.  Whenever I take a friend to the game & they ask where the restrooms are, I just take them myself because I know it's difficult to find if you don't know where it is.  

I normally just let people fly with their excuses about why people don't come to the JAR.  But I will comment because I've never heard this one before.  Go to about 30 other arenas across the country, and then come back here and tell me how the JAR bathrooms stack up.  I'd rate them pretty high to some of the smelly concrete-floored facilities I've trampled into.  And they are no more difficult to find.  

I actually can't believe that our conversations on here over the years regarding the JAR have been reduced to how much we could increase attendance if only we had a few more toilets, and if only they made them more easy to find?

I'l; repeat this again:  If people WANTED to see Akron Basketball, they'd climb the stairs, sit on wood bleachers, and gladly take a few extra seconds out of their day to ask someone if they can't find the toilet.  People don't come to Akron Basketball games because they don't want to go to an Akron Basketball game.  

• Like 2

I don't understand the criticism of KD... ANY one of the MAC schools would take him in a heartbeat.  If he wanted to go to Miami he would be there.  End of story.  Skip-zip has it right, the Zips have been on the wrong side of a couple of errors on officiating/clock operator or what have you.  

If anything the staff needs to be updated.  McFadden is not getting YSU job and is not HC material from my eyes. McNeese is NOT a coach of the future, that is laughable.  He needs to bring in guys like Joyce and Dials who are known for their grit, toughness, and brains - the players that help get this thing started to begin with.  Our teams have lacked that the past few years. I don't know if Joyce wants to be a college coach, but he would be a good addition for his relationship with the King if nothing else.  Don't know about recruiting and xs and os.  Dials does want to be a coach and brought in multiple recruits to Toledo in less that 2 years that are highly rated in Ohio and beyond. As noted by Dunn's radio show, he was used as a fallout guy at UT.  I don't know if Travis is coaching material or if wanting to be. Most former coaches have moved on to bigger and better things.  Who else that has played for KD would be a possible fit?

Arena needs an upgrade.  Long been noted.  What is the progress with this?

KD rumors to Duquesne is starting to fly around again.  We know his dad played there. He turned it down the first time, but they are rumored to be paying over $1Million-$1.5Million this time around.  I don't believe he would take it, but it is more believable than the last go around. 

5 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I normally just let people fly with their excuses about why people don't come to the JAR.  But I will comment because I've never heard this one before.  Go to about 30 other arenas across the country, and then come back here and tell me how the JAR bathrooms stack up.  I'd rate them pretty high to some of the smelly concrete-floored facilities I've trampled into.  And they are no more difficult to find.  

I actually can't believe that our conversations on here over the years regarding the JAR have been reduced to how much we could increase attendance if only we had a few more toilets, and if only they made them more easy to find?

I'l; repeat this again:  If people WANTED to see Akron Basketball, they'd climb the stairs, sit on wood bleachers, and gladly take a few extra seconds out of their day to ask someone if they can't find the toilet.  People don't come to Akron Basketball games because they don't want to go to an Akron Basketball game.  

really??  toilets.  do you do that at Blossom too?  the line is too long....i'll go in the woods!  While the JAR needs an upgrade.. its not a bad place to see a game.  I have been a season ticket holder for a couple years with a friend(fellow alumni).  this year was the first year i said i wasn't interested in attending the non conference schedule   although i did attend Marshall & Coppin St.   I will probably do the same if the OOC is similar to this years.   I'd rather have one marquee game and maybe a game against a similar opponent.  But until that happens we have to deal with what we have.  

14 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I don't think the KD detractors realize that the only reason for their complaints is the level of expectation KD has brought to the Zips program.  There weren't discussions like this when Dan Hipsher was recruiting division 2 level players to UA (including his own kids).  The program was mired in mediocrity and we had no expectations, happy to be occasionally competitive.  Now, based upon KD's hard work, we've been to the summit of the MAC and want more.  We're not having these discussions without the KD based success.  Changing course from the guy that's brought the program here is more likely to set it back rather than further the success.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm the guy in the bleachers smarter than the coaches and I whine about bad defense on dribble penetration and all of the other faults we beat to death on here, but to jump ship here or make major changes would be the NCAA basketball equivalent of the the New Coke.

And the Lebron James affiliation doesn't suck.  It's OK to be upset but even thinking about getting rid of the reigning Coach of the Year is unbelievable to me.

3 minutes ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

per Jeff Goodman about KD USF job.

Akron’s Keith Dambrot turned down South Florida in fear of a ravaged roster, source told ESPN. AD Mark Harlan wanted someone to clean it up.   Doesn't say he wants to stay at Akron!

So you assume from this source that the only reason KD is not interested in USF is the ravaged roster, per some ESPN source as told through a 3rd party. You don't think any of the following might weigh into his decision...

• Akron native
  • University of Akron alumnus
  • UA Contract through 2022 (23)... I forget, but basically until retirement age
    • Great salary v cost of living
    • Good bonus structure
  • Family & friends in Akron
  • Recently bought a new house (within past year or two, I believe)
  • Keith's LeBron connection (LeBron in Akron area, LeBron's connections now with UA, ...)
  • Established relationships with UA Athletics Dept personnel, UA alum, donors, season ticket holders, fans ....
    • Loads of respect and support
  • etc.

Yeah, there's a list of things that might be better elsewhere, but same as anyone would do when weighing current job v new job...what are the pros and cons and would I really be happy elsewhere? I can't answer for Keith, but I don't think a "ravaged roster" was the only reason he may have removed himself from consideration for the USF job.

7 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

So you assume from this source that the only reason KD is not interested in USF is the ravaged roster, per some ESPN source as told through a 3rd party. You don't think any of the following might weigh into his decision...

• Akron native
  • University of Akron alumnus
  • UA Contract through 2022 (23)... I forget, but basically until retirement age
    • Great salary v cost of living
    • Good bonus structure
  • Family & friends in Akron
  • Recently bought a new house (within past year or two, I believe)
  • Keith's LeBron connection (LeBron in Akron area, LeBron's connections now with UA, ...)
  • Established relationships with UA Athletics Dept personnel, UA alum, donors, season ticket holders, fans ....
    • Loads of respect and support
  • etc.

Yeah, there's a list of things that might be better elsewhere, but same as anyone would do when weighing current job v new job...what are the pros and cons and would I really be happy elsewhere? I can't answer for Keith, but I don't think a "ravaged roster" was the only reason he may have removed himself from consideration for the USF job.

what about OSU if Motta is canned?  

Still has Ohio roots.  

Better arena, Better conference,

His LBJ connection would still be intact with OSU.

Better salary vs. Cost of living

Better recruiting

Ohio native

His children have graduated from UA.

yeah.......USF was a pipe dream....but OSU would make sense if the shoe drops!

30 minutes ago, Valpo Zip said:

I have read about 10 posts berating other posters who want Dambrot fired, but I don't remember reading any post suggesting that !!!! Who are you arguing with? Why are you arguing about something we all agree on?

all i want is a sweet 16 run...i want to be that team ONE TIME that captures some national attn....every yr i sit & watch these mid majors make some noise including some of our mac colleagues....but NEVER us & admittedly, right or wrong,  I'm getting impatient

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

That may or may not make Akron fans happy. The most successful coach in the Mid-American Conference, amazingly, is currently under chat room review as the Zips (26-8) prepare for a trip to Houston to play the Houston Cougars in the NIT on Wednesday night at 7:30.

We've made it to the big time fellas.

Edit: Link to this thread in his article.

Edited by kreed5120

1 hour ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

per Jeff Goodman about KD USF job.

Akron’s Keith Dambrot turned down South Florida in fear of a ravaged roster, source told ESPN. AD Mark Harlan wanted someone to clean it up.   Doesn't say he wants to stay at Akron!

How is Duqesne's roster looking? Chances are any open job is not going to be stocked with great talent or the previous coach would not have been fired.

8 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

We've made it to the big time fellas.

Edit: Link to this thread in his article.

Too bad it states that.  If you read the thread only 1 or maybe 2 wing nuts want KD fired.  Everyone else, rightfully so IMHO, simply want KD to shake things up a little bit.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm not sure what's happened to the MAC but outside of Ohio the last MAC team to win a tournament game was CMU in 2003. Weird for a conference despite being a "1 bid conference" is regarded as a respectable mid-major.

Let's hope us or Kent can make a little tourney noise. And let's hope the MAC gets a little better next year because right now it is moribund.