2017-2018

UAZip0510

6 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

Only player going with KD is TDM. These transfers were planned before KD departed, by the way.

I'm not understanding. We know about Williams and I personally don't care about Dalton. Are you saying that KD recruited TDM to transfer before taking the job and Tino was planning on leaving before KD left?!

4 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

that is unreal. Why were they all deserting? It is not like we had a horrible year, or Tino wasn't getting playing time.

Antino thinks he can play and be successful at a bigger school.  He was not happy about sharing PG.

Josh wasn't happy with how he was used, but primarily wanted to play with his brother.  

TDM is extremely loyal to the staff because they were the only D1 school to offer him and believe in him.

Ty Dalton...who knows? Notice he still has Akron in his twitter bio, might have changed his mind.

Hiring a good coach may turn into a real challenge.

The chances of even a .500 season are looking very grim.

It is a little late to start recruiting HS players.

It appears we are losing at least 3 starters (BD, Kwan and Tino) and a bunch of recruits.

Where do we go from here?

Unless we find a coach that can bring half his team with him.

No one really wants to jump straight into failure.

14 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Hiring a good coach may turn into a real challenge.

The chances of even a .500 season are looking very grim.

It is a little late to start recruiting HS players.

It appears we are losing at least 3 starters (BD, Kwan and Tino) and a bunch of recruits.

Where do we go from here?

Unless we find a coach that can bring half his team with him.

No one really wants to jump straight into failure.

KD is doing just that. Their top player announced he was transferring and now it appears he will stay. Maybe our new skipper will be recruiting our own players.

This is all still so early and raw so let's not presume the failed season already.  This could all turn for the better in an instant.  Looking forward to building a team around Aaron Jackson.  We may all come to appreciate Aaron a bit more.

Edited by NWAkron

I think Antino is making a mistake if he thinks he can go to a bigger school and become a starter as senior, especially if he has to sit out a year.  He had a great career at Akron.  However, he was not a dominating guard on offense and did not look good in the MAC final or against Texas Arlington.  All of our guards had difficulty getting through picks and defending the dribble penetration.  If he goes to the next level he will be competing against bigger and stronger guards.  I think he will have more success in a lateral move.  Regardless, I wish him the best of luck and hopefully he will not regret his decision.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Oldschool said:

Thats why I thought Anthony Stewart from UT Martin would be a great hire. Akron guy. Proven recruiter. Has a HIGH MAJOR son committed to the SEC. I believe he's Tennessee Mr. Basketball but not sure. 6'5 " guard. Could probably play on the MAC.

Even if his son doesn't play here I'm still loving Anthony Stewart.

I just hope there's still a chance that someone can come in here that can put this back together rather quickly.

If not, we're likely heading into a shaky period, at best.  And a complete rebuild, at worst.  It's making me reflect on what a nice ride this has been over the last 12 years.  

Look guys settle down ZIPNATION! I think we will be just fine,  And here's why, where getting rid of the guys who didn't want to be here and be apart of this upcoming season. We want guys who want to be here, and with the core guys coming back we are in good shape, Starting with JIMOND AND CRAIG!  Also ROBOTHAM if he decides to stay,     add in  Olojakpoke and Eric parish we have a real athletic team throw in Utomi if he returns, fill in a few more spots this looks good to me. I noticed last year we wanted to run, dambrot held the team back to play inside out! this team will be good I think. I could never understand why Eubanks didn't get playing time last year, and its because dambrot was stuck in the way he coaches, We got athletes!!!                                  #LetsGoZips

Obviously getting the right coach is the most important thing, however, the sooner we're able to determine that is and bring them on board, the better it is for us. The incoming coach will have lots of holes to fill and each passing day more and more JUCO and transfer players are committing to other schools.

I'll miss Antino if he leaves.  I always thought he was underutilized.  This could have been his chance to shine in a new system.

I always had a gut feeling Utomi would move on at some point.  The guy scored nearly 30 a game as a high school senior.  Those types of guys generally don't like sitting (or playing defense) much.  That's not to imply he's leaving.  Just a gut feeling I've had for some time.

More important than ever to get a coach now with so many holes to fill.  With each day, more kids want to transfer and more recruits get swallowed up by other teams.  Remember how we all loved those 4 years kids and disliked how other schools filled their rosters with JUCOs, transfers and laptop stealers?  Those days are over.   Williams better come back from Arizona with a new coach.

One thing is for certain and that's that I was extremely impressed with how Ivey developed between last year and this year. To me he should be the key player next year. He is a freak athlete. Hopefully Utomi stays as well because to me those two are guys you could build a team around. 

I bet the rest of the MAC is ecstatic right now. 

Edited by bUAkronG
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, bUAkronG said:

I bet the rest of the MAC is ecstatic right now. 

That's a loser mentality. Akron's run of success should have been making other MAC programs try harder to catch up, improving the MAC as a whole. It's not like Akron was like Gonzaga and miles ahead of everyone else and uncatchable. With Akron's demise the bar is now lower in the MAC and the conference is weaker as a whole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

That's a loser mentality. Akron's run of success should have been making other MAC programs try harder to catch up, improving the MAC as a whole. It's not like Akron was like Gonzaga and miles ahead of everyone else and uncatchable. With Akron's demise the bar is now lower in the MAC and the conference is weaker as a whole.

No arguments there. 

I wasn't saying we were miles ahead of everyone. But we definitely have been the top of the MAC for more than a few years. Safe to say that the playing field is a bit more even in the MAC right now.