2017-2018

UAZip0510

20 minutes ago, tpsjugglerdude said:

So we obviously have a good start to our OOC schedule with the solid lineup in the early season tournament. What else do we know about the schedule? Did Dambrot fill it up or will JG get to put his touch on the schedule? 

We signed another 4 year deal with Marshall so they'll be on the schedule for sure.

If FBS football weren't a consideration ...

From ESPN --

Another round of realignment

Wichita State could officially jump from the Missouri Valley, where it has been a member since 1945, to the American Athletic Conference as soon as this week. That could potentially be a boost for the depth of the American, but it would set off a chain reaction of mid-major conferences like the Valley and Horizon scrambling to adjust by seeking new members. ...

Without Wichita State and Creighton the MVC is a shell of its former self. Even if we were to take football out of the equation, I'd personally rather stay in the MAC to preserve our rivalries with Kent and Ohio than move to a conference that is marginally better.

32 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Without Wichita State and Creighton the MVC is a shell of its former self. Even if we were to take football out of the equation, I'd personally rather stay in the MAC to preserve our rivalries with Kent and Ohio than move to a conference that is marginally better.

Indiana State, Illinois State, and Northern Iowa are all upgrades from the MAC, but I'd rather make a jump to Conference USA or AAC. Get me there, Bowden and Groce!

5 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

Indiana State, Illinois State, and Northern Iowa are all upgrades from the MAC, but I'd rather make a jump to Conference USA or AAC. Get me there, Bowden and Groce!

C-USA has performed worse than the MAC in both football and basketball since the latest realignment. I'll pass on that.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:15 AM, tpsjugglerdude said:

So we obviously have a good start to our OOC schedule with the solid lineup in the early season tournament. What else do we know about the schedule? Did Dambrot fill it up or will JG get to put his touch on the schedule? 

With the change in administrations, there's no way of being sure if the pre-recorded OOC sched will hold.  For instance, that tournament -- the DHC just announced that Utah State is dropping out -- and immediately being replaced by Princeton, a significant upgrade.

32 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I heard Groce saying somewhere in all of the press conferences and interviews today that Hawaii is still on.

Why would he cancel it. Come to Akron, get a trip to Hawaii.

An update on our players in limbo:

Antino - seemed likely to go a few weeks ago, but now I'd bet on him staying

Dunn-Martin - Gone

Hughes - Likely gone

Dalton - Staying

Robotham - Toughest one to figure out...depends on who you talk to

There's 1 or 2 others that have given thought to leaving, but I think the list above is probably it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

Dunn-Martin - Gone

Hughes - Likely gone

Dalton - Staying

There's 1 or 2 others that have given thought to leaving, but I think the list above is probably it. 

OK, removing Dunn-Martin from the mix, you can only keep two of what's left.  Who do you choose?

1 hour ago, UAZip0510 said:

Dunn-Martin - Gone

Hughes - Likely gone

Dalton - Staying

Is Hughs following Dambrot?  Considering that he hardly played this year, it would be foolish for him to transfer and then wait another year to play.  He is a big guy but did not show much last year because of injury.  I just wonder if he would get that many offers.

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

Is Hughs following Dambrot?  Considering that he hardly played this year, it would be foolish for him to transfer and then wait another year to play.  He is a big guy but did not show much last year because of injury.  I just wonder if he would get that many offers.

He wasn't playing worth a damn.  That's why he wasn't playing.  I'll bet on him staying here as his best chance to spend the next 3 years with a good opportunity to play at our level of college basketball. 

4 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

He wasn't playing worth a damn.  That's why he wasn't playing.  I'll bet on him staying here as his best chance to spend the next 3 years with a good opportunity to play at our level of college basketball. 

In the beginning of the year he looked decent for a first year player.  Reminded me of Big Dog his first year.  He then hurt his back.  After he came back he did not do much.  I thought he was not fully recovered but who knows.  I did notice that when he was injured he was always the first one off the bench congratulating the team so I did like his team spirit in the beginning of the season.

I'd like the senior leadership of Noah or Antino.  However, my little voice tells me that Antino's never at his best when he's on the floor with Noah.  Antino's most successful at the point with the ball in his hands, attacking.  We didn't see that this year.  Hopefully, if both stay, Groce can find the answer.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

Hughes averaged 7.3 minutes per game in OOC play (before he was hurt) and 2.2 in conference play (after he returned).  Whether that was the result of him falling out of the rotation or the coaching staff not thinking his play was worthy of more minutes or thought he was still hurt, only the coaching staff knows.  I thought he showed some real promise early, before his injury. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'm sharing what I know.  If you don't agree, feel free to share what you know instead of posting an empty statement like that. 

That wasn't very empty. On top of that, there's no way to convince players to stay like ripping them on a message board.