2017-2018

UAZip0510

15 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I thought he showed some real promise early 

He did.  I agree.

15 hours ago, zippy5 said:

there's no way to convince players to stay like ripping them on a message board. 

Maybe you've never been an athlete.  You take criticism all the time from coaches, fans, the media, and even your own family members.  The things that people share about you on a message board are no different.   Trust me.  The way that Keith has talked to some of these guys would make anyone transfer if they were thin skinned. 

Edited by skip-zip

16 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Maybe you've never been an athlete.  You take criticism all the time from coaches, fans, the media, and even your own family members.  The things that people share about you on a message board are no different.   Trust me.  The way that Keith has talked to some of these guys would make anyone transfer if they were thin skinned. 

Lol okay

26 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

Antino and Noah were not a good fit paired as starters.  Neither one was willing to be 6th man.  

I thought 'Tino turned into the much better player but KD was infatuated w/ Noah. 

During Noah's freshman season I was too.  I'd never seen a true freshman PG come in and have such command of the game.  Unfortunately, I don't think Noah was ever half the player he was as a freshman after suffering that knee injury.

If given the choice between the two I'd pick 'Tino.  Especially if Coach Groce wants to pressure & run.  Not a style seemingly fit for Noah's game, but perfect for 'Tino.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, feetg10 said:

Verbal commits has Noah listed as a transfer. When did this happen? 

So, if all plays out, the Zips will lose 4 of 5 starters (Kwan, Dog, Antino and Noah) and the 6th man (Josh).  Wow.  

I think the point Blue & Gold makes is a solid one- Noah's departure would open things up for Antino if he wants to return (fingers crossed).

4 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

Well that sucks. At this rate we will probably be putting an ad in the student newspaper for anyone who have every played basketball.

Isn't the Buchtelite shut down for the time being? Probably half of the football players also played hoops in H.S...of course, football was apparently their better sport...

If I remember correctly, Noah was considering transferring after his freshman year before his knee injury. I will miss his character on and off the court as he represented the UA well, but he's not a good fit for Groce's system.

Tino needs to stay now. He can thrive in Groce's system, too.

You're not going to be seeing Big Dog's anymore for a while. Groce will bring in high motor, athletic players committed to running and playing in-your-face defense. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Now Coach Groce can tell Antino he'd have the keys to the team.  No more being underutilized while playing 2nd fiddle to Noah.

I have a hard time believing that Noah wouldn't be the 2nd fiddle for Groce.  He probably saw there wasn't a fit and moved one while he could knowing there wouldn't be a penalty by sitting a year.  Granted, it probably wasn't the only factor, but it had to play a role in the decision process.

I will miss Noah.  No hard feelings on his decision to leave.  I remember when he injured his knee during that Miami(Ohio) game.  And I remember his ripping into the sight-impaired trainer.  However, he had to know right then his playing career was going to be different going forward.  Prior to that injury he had some great moves.  

Noah was never the same after the injury.  In a season of transition, his senior leadership and calming influence could have helped, but in many games last year he seemed reduced to the role of the guy who brought the ball up the floor, posing little or no offensive threat.  I wish him luck as he seems like a great kid from every interview I've heard in the last three years.

54 minutes ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

just saw where New Mexico St has offered Antino a scholarship.

Well this I really can't spin in a good way. I really didn't know there were so many available slots for undersized guards.  We now have likely lost four.  And what's frustrating is that we don't know what is going on.  What our leadership is doing to try and keep these players or find replacements.

7 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Well this I really can't spin in a good way. I really didn't know there were so many available slots for undersized guards.  We now have likely lost four.  And what's frustrating is that we don't know what is going on.  What our leadership is doing to try and keep these players or find replacements.

Wow!!  they were 28-6 and finished 2nd in the WAC.