2017-2018

UAZip0510

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

As starved as we were for a big to spell Dog this past season, if this kid had a seat next to Ty Dalton he was apparently not an "early bloomer."

I thought he was a non-qualifier, but if he redshirted, his grades and test scores must have been fine?

#godukes

He was an academic non-qualifier. He wasn't allowed to participate in any team activities. The same situation that Jimmond was in three years ago. It's a possibility he didn't make the grades needed to continue with the team. Spring semester grades posted yesterday.

I wouldn't be opposed to having an available scholarship at the start of the season. Every year there are a few players that transfer mid season. That would put us in a position to snag one of those or we could just use it for an incoming freshman next year. Either way I don't see the need of offering a scholarship for the sake of offering a scholarship.

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

IMO - Groce was really fair in giving underclassmen time to digest the situation/changeover and make their stay/leave decision. If Noah chose "leave," I don't know what level of groveling would be necessary for him to return, but my guess is - pretty high.

The apparent lack of interest in his services speaks volumes. Either that....or he's just ready to move on from basketball.

He had his opportunity to remain #zipforever, and he passed. I wish him well. But we move forward....

I disagree. I have never understood the spurned lover view on transfers. If a player can make the Zips better (and Noah would next year) I want him on the team. Noah is a 3 year starter that has a chance to start his whole career for Akron, that would be awesome. Remember, he announced he was transferring before Antino did. For all we know, Noah might have thought Antino was going to stay. I understand the frustration they both probably felt with never really getting to take control of their position. 

In the end, I have no source that Noah is even thinking about coming back, but I would welcome him in a heartbeat and I would think that his teammates would as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UAZippers said:

I have never understood the spurned lover view on transfers. If a player can make the Zips better (and Noah would next year) I want him on the team.

You got it.  We need players who can help us win basketball games.  In that context, Noah would be a no-brainer.  I sure hope nobody's hurt feelings would get in the way of that happening, if there's still a chance.    

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Poke, Kostelac, and I suppose Sayles (if he's still committed) our only bigs eligible next year? It seems PF/C is what we should target, not adding (retaining) a 4th scholarship pg.

Technically, Utomi can play the 4 if needed like he did this year.

6 hours ago, UAZippers said:

I disagree. I have never understood the spurned lover view on transfers.

He's not a transfer. He quit.

And there's no spurn...the Zips need to move forward. Noah was given plenty of time to make his decision. He elected to leave. 

If he came back, and Groce was cool with it, great. Noah's a solid kid, and my #1 all time post game interview. But I doubt anyone would be doing backflips if he returned. His body of work over 3 seasons shows he's an average MAC guard. I'd rather see Patton develop.

7 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

He was an academic non-qualifier. He wasn't allowed to participate in any team activities. The same situation that Jimmond was in three years ago. It's a possibility he didn't make the grades needed to continue with the team. Spring semester grades posted yesterday.

He never played a minute for us, so no real loss at this point.

Look guys Groce is putting together a high scoring high flying electric team. so for the people on this thread stuck on the pass, get ready for a great season. get prepared to be MAC CHAMPIONS something kd couldn't do with that shitty style of play. so as for noah he is a great kid but we don't need him with that slow the game down crap. I believe the games this year will be entertaining and don't be surprise once mac season start we sell out the jar!!!!!!!!!

21 minutes ago, ogzips said:

Look guys Groce is putting together a high scoring high flying electric team. so for the people on this thread stuck on the pass, get ready for a great season. get prepared to be MAC CHAMPIONS something kd couldn't do with that shitty style of play. so as for noah he is a great kid but we don't need him with that slow the game down crap. I believe the games this year will be entertaining and don't be surprise once mac season start we sell out the jar!!!!!!!!!

Did you ever consider the idea that all Noah was doing was executing the game plan given to him by the coaching staff? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ogzips said:

get prepared to be MAC CHAMPIONS something kd couldn't do with that shitty style of play.

???? I've long moved on and looking forward to seeing what Groce can do, but this is revisionist history if I've ever seen it. We won multiple MAC Championships under Dambrot. Both regular season and postseason.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

???? I've long moved on and looking forward to seeing what Groce can do, but this is revisionist history if I've ever seen it. We won multiple MAC Championships under Dambrot. Both regular season and postseason.

Agreed.  For the billionth time, it's ok to appreciate what KD accomplished here AND be excited for Groce.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Wasn't grades. Coaches decision I guess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Valpo Zip said:

Aren't we already set at the PG position with Duvivier and Patton?

If by "already set", you mean having 2 guys that haven't played a minute in an Akron uniform, one is still in high school, and one hasn't played in two years....

.......then YES, we're Already Set. 

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

If by "already set", you mean having 2 guys that haven't played a minute in an Akron uniform, one is still in high school, and one hasn't played in two years....

.......then YES, we're Already Set. 

That's not what I meant. I meant scholarships... We have a total of 13 scholarships with 3 reserved for transfers who will sit out. That leaves 10 scholarships. So 2 scholarships per position. We already have two for the PG :wave: 

4 hours ago, ogzips said:

MAC CHAMPIONS something kd couldn't do with that shitty style of play.

4 MAC Championships

3 MAC Tournament Championships

4 hours ago, ogzips said:

don't be surprise once mac season start we sell out the jar!!!!!!!!!

Besides not knowing some of the most obvious recent accomplishments concerning Zips Basketball, I'm assuming you've never been in Rhodes Arena on a Tuesday night when Northern Illinois is in town?  Don't worry, the reality of sub-3,000 crowds will soon sink in.  I have no idea where you were led to believe otherwise.    

Edited by skip-zip

3 hours ago, NWAkron said:

This is looking good for next year. Maybe we will finally make a run in the MAC tournament and win a championship!   :champs:

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

By chance, are you and OGZIPS obtaining your info. about Zips Basketball from the same source? 

b8cb9127e0165ce25dbecaa8ef0294733a46cdb2

• Like 1