2017-2018

UAZip0510

15 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

I am getting very very down on the whole redshirt thing. We give them a free year of school and never get a minute out of them.

Okay then trivia time - which of these guys that redshirted and never saw a minute turned into a contributor at a D-1 school?

10 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Okay then trivia time - which of these guys that redshirted and never saw a minute turned into a contributor at a D-1 school?

I would say Utomi and Olijapoke are redshirted kids who should make an impact @ UA before their time is up.

Kwan would have been better off redshirting.

7 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I would say Utomi and Olijapoke are redshirted kids who should make an impact @ UA before their time is up.

Kwan would have been better off redshirting.

I thought he was talking about kids that redshirt and transfer out before seeing a minute at UA - that's what my comment was in reference to.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

:rofl:

I'm not sure I understand the emoticon.

By the time Dalton was shown the door at UA he didn't have many options. To go to a JUCO and play one year, then transfer to a 4-year school to play 3 years, is his best option.

If he couldn't play for the Zips this past season, and Groce didn't want him, obviously he isn't being recruited by UCLA in 2018-19. But he'll get a chance to showcase himself at the JUCO level, and ultimately end up at a MAC-level program somewhere out west. Good move for him.

21 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I thought he was talking about kids that redshirt and transfer out before seeing a minute at UA - that's what my comment was in reference to.

If that's the case, then I agree with you.

If, after redshirting, we don't get a minute out of the kids, it's probably because they were a mistake. If they don't have the talent, it's best to part ways and the Zips should extend the scholarship to someone that can play.

If he is lamenting losing Peter Agba, BJ Gladden or Ty Dalton, I don't get it either. He should be lamenting Dambrot's sub-par recruiting. That's the issue.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

By the time Dalton was shown the door at UA he didn't have many options. To go to a JUCO and play one year, then transfer to a 4-year school to play 3 years, is his best option.

If he couldn't play for the Zips this past season, and Groce didn't want him, obviously he isn't being recruited by UCLA in 2018-19. But he'll get a chance to showcase himself at the JUCO level, and ultimately end up at a MAC-level program somewhere out west. Good move for him.

Sure, if he still wants to play college basketball it's his only option. I'm laughing because after The Decision 2.0 he was one of the most vocal players about leaving Akron for greener pastures.

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

That's nearly exactly what Sullivan did a couple of years ago.  It worked out well for him.  He played a year at Lakeland, scored 20 ppg, and then got his scholarship to a 4 yr. school and earned all-conference honors by the time he reached his Sr. year.  

I don't understand why someone was laughing about this route either.   

And let me add this, since were on the subject of "sub par recruiting".  Dambrot nabbed Sullivan as a 2nd Team All-Ohio player in D-I , and he was even 3rd Team All-Ohio in Division 1 as a Junior.   Again, just another reason why fans shouldn't base recruiting success on the accolades that someone had in High School.  Everything can change at the next level.  That's why we've had so many players do well here that didn't come in with high accolades.  That's why asst. coaches are payed to evaluate players themselves, and don't recruit based on the number of high school honors awarded.   

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

I don't understand why someone was laughing about this route either.   

I was laughing at how he was quick to want to bolt Akron with his boys Hughes and TDM to Duquesne only to later get booted from Akron and forced to play at a JUCO. There have been plenty of Zips that have dropped down to play at a lower level of competition and you can look at my post history, I never commented negatively towards any of them besides Dalton.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I was laughing at how he was quick to want to bolt Akron with his boys Hughes and TDM to Duquesne only to later get booted from Akron and forced to play at a JUCO. There have been plenty of Zips that have dropped down to play at a lower level of competition and you can look at my post history, I never commented negatively towards any of them besides Dalton.

Ok, I see that you may have wanted to laugh about the guy eating a little "humble pie", for now.  He may have indeed been spouting a little too much.  But no way to tell where this goes.  As I've talked about many times on here, I was at a JUCO with a guy who was the classic late bloomer, and ended up going major his last 2 years, and played for many years in the NBA.  As mentioned earlier, he might not be going to UCLA, but he might be better than anyone expected.  Or, we might never hear about him again.  You never know.  

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I guess I missed where he said anything about leaving after Dambrot left. He was at the press conference when Groce was introduced. I don't understand why people want to throw the past years players under the bus so fast. They were just pawns in a much bigger power play between Dambrot and Williams. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

I guess I missed where he said anything about leaving after Dambrot left. He was at the press conference when Groce was introduced. I don't understand why people want to throw the past years players under the bus so fast. They were just pawns in a much bigger power play between Dambrot and Williams. 

He said a lot about leaving. His tweets were posted on this site, but I believe he deleted them.

23 hours ago, LZIp said:

He said a lot about leaving. His tweets were posted on this site, but I believe he deleted them.

I seem to remember a tweet by Dalton shortly after the departure of KD saying he intended to transfer -- can't recall if he said to Duquesne or not.  But on another track, I am hearing some of those rumors that Hilltopper and Skip-zip are referring to.  Dambrot's decision was not entirely his own.