2017-2018

UAZip0510

3 hours ago, ZIPS96 said:

15 points & 6 assists, 39% on 3's & 88% on free throws last year playing for a national top 10 high school, looks like another good get.

Where is the heart-eyes emoji when you need it? I think I'm in love. 

By the way, to everyone fretting about this kid's size, DJ Cooper (whom thrived under Groce) was 6' 175 lbs... in boots and soaking wet. 

Let's see what the kid can do.

I watched a few of his on-line videos during lunch, and then watched a few of Antino's highlight videos afterwards.

Virshon's are 70% assists/30% shooting.

Antino's were 85% shooting/15% assists.

Virshon appears to be the first pass-first PG we've had in a while. Maybe since Abreu? Not in the mold of Antino or Noah whatsoever.

He shows he can throw down some nasty dunks, so he has the athleticism and hops to play at the MAC level for sure.

I look forward to seeing what he's got this fall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sergeant Zip said:

Quick comments at about the 36 minute mark on Groce's recruiting class from High Major Scoop, Chas Wolfe.  Really the whole podcast is worth a listen if you are into High School hoops, etc.

Thanks! I enjoyed listening to that during lunch. Interesting to learn about the scout-side of local basketball recruiting.

As I've said before, I don't care if our guards are 4 feet tall if they can play.  I've had a bigger problems with the physical strength of our guards and their lateral speed in the past than I have had with their height.  In the MAC, the Zips are going to see many large backcourts, so I don't see a 5-10 or 6 foot guard as a major issue.

For me, the jury is still out on Groce.  I need to see the team and some results first.  That being said, I am most impressed by what he's been able to put together under adverse circumstances.

• Like 1

Wonder if anyone saw this or reported it? If it's old news, my apologies:

May 25th

PrepScouting (NCAA) @highmajorscoop

5th year Fork Union Prep & Canton Mckinley hooper LePear Toles has decommitted from Robert Morris. Reportedly made too quick of a Decision

He is a guy that has never played at the collegiate level and announced his transfer way late in the process. You can be the most talented player in the world, but without tape showing that you are as close as possible to a sure-thing, you are going to end up at a lower level school in his position.

By the way, Liberty went 21-14 last season and with the money that they are trowing into their athletics at the moment, I'm not sure that they will be considered a team that is lower than Akron for much longer. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

And Liberty University was actually put on the map by old "Riverboat Sam", of former Browns/NFL fame.  

It's funny to also see that Ex-Buffalo Football turnaround artist Turner Gill is now their head football coach.

I almost went to Liberty. I went on a college visit there and everything. Their arena is a lot nicer than ours. It's not like they're DII or DIII. They're still DI, so he didn't drop off too far. And with all the transfers leaving the MAC this year, it wouldn't shock me if Big South has a better overall season than the MAC next year.

The Vines Center

Edited by mes102

Liberty is a Christian school and Isaiah is a really strong, outspoken Christian.  

I wasn't surprised to see he had transferred there.  That's why I asked what was driving the "makes you think" comment.

This late in the game I, personally, wouldn't have expected him to get a "higher" offer than that.

15 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Liberty is a Christian school and Isaiah is a really strong, outspoken Christian.  

I wasn't surprised to see he had transferred there.  That's why I asked what was driving the "makes you think" comment.

This late in the game I, personally, wouldn't have expected him to get a "higher" offer than that.

I agree that it does seem late in the game and it probably is, but Verbal Commits shows that there have been 655 D1 transfers this year and 255 of them have yet to commit to a school. So nearly 40% of this year's transfers have yet to find a home. My comment had a lot to do with it seeming like Groce has knowing what he is doing or getting it right by recommending these guys to go (or however you want to word it). Dalton ended up at Juco and now Williams at a Big South program. Sidenote: Robo has yet to find a destination.

Williams may be an outspoken Christian and him going there maybe played a part in that, but I'm not sure if he had a better spot he would have chosen Liberty. I mean he did pick Akron this first time around.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Anyone know if any of them are playing in the Cleveland Akron Pro Am that starts this weekend?  Would love to get an advance look at them although I don't know how much that "open gym" like setting will translate to what Groce will be trying to implement.

• Like 1