2017-2018

UAZip0510

9 hours ago, tpsjugglerdude said:

I think the last time we played in Dayton, Dayton had just gotten a top 25 ranking that week and the game went into like 4 OT's. Ended with Nick Dials trying to launch a half court 3 for the tie and the ref only gave him 2 shots because they said it was a non-shooting foul. 

Great recollection!!  And it should have been 3 shots.  And since Dials was a 90+ FT shooter, it likely would have gone to another OT.

And we should be pissed if they don't give us a return game.  They did give us that return game after the one above, in 2008.  In fact, they brought a 9-0 team to the JAR and I recall B. McKnight had the ball in his hands with a chance to beat them at the end.  

So with all of that said, I do believe that their intention is to get an easy game during the post-Dambrot fallout, and have no intention of a return.     

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Cupcake #1 confirmed

True, but to Joe Akron, they do have a "name" as App State will forever be known for knocking off Michigan. Better them than Coppin State or Ark-PB. Even if it results in 20 more fans lol.

Edited by LZIp

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Wins are going to be much harder to come by this year than we are used to. I'm not going to complain about the schedule this year.

Same here.  I'm afraid to say that the "cupcake games" of the past decade might not be able to carry the same label right now.  

As much as I hate to say it (because I am against this type of scheduling) I think our best option is to win as many games as possible so that our program losses as little credibility as possible as we try to rebuild this thing.   

The Zips still play in the MAC, right?

There's no such thing as a rebuild for the Zips.  They won the regular season last year.  Sure there's tons of new faces and a new staff .. but you re-build when you're at the bottom.

This team needs to find 8 or so non-conference wins to guarantee a 20 win season.  IMHO, this is a reload, not a re-build. Re-calibration to a new system, maybe.

The Zips are gonna be really young this year .. and really loaded next year.  If any team in the MAC wants to get over on the Zips .. they had better get it done now, cause it's only gonna get harder in 18-19.

Remember, it's still the MAC.  9 home games.  Win 7 of those, and beat the crappy teams on the road, and you're at 10-12 MAC wins .. it's not a Herculean Task.  Jimond and the guys are up to it.

B)B)B)

:champs:

Go Zips!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, ZZZips said:

Who do you think will have a higher non-conference schedule RPI.....Duquesne or Akron?

Akron. Between the tournament (USC guaranteed), Dayton, Marshall, and whomever else we add, it's gonna be a pretty solid OOC schedule for Akron. 

Two things with Duquesne and their schedule...

- Dambrot is now in the A10, which means to get to 20 wins he's gonna need cupcakes in the OOC portion of the season.

- We'll see if the "poison" that hindered Akron's Strength of Schedule and ability to schedule tougher teams, is still in Akron, or if it traveled to Pittsburgh. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, LZIp said:

If I am not mistaken, we know of Marshall, App State, Dayton, Cle State, and 3 games in Maui. That should be just over half of our non conference schedule right there.

Damn!  Where did you here the team was headed to Maui??  If so, I have to book my plane ride and hotel!  That was my goal I set for the team in terms of OOC sked.  Ball St. won two games there back in 2001 with Bonzi Wells.  All I know about for 2017 is a visit to the Stan Sheriff Center at the University of Hawai'i-Manoa, here on the island of O'ahu...  Hey -- at least you didn't write like a Kent State media release a few years ago -- "The Golden Flashes women's soccer team is set to arrive this morning on the Big Island of O'ahu"  LOL!

Edited by Z.I.P.

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

Damn!  Where did you here the team was headed to Maui??  If so, I have to book my plane ride and hotel!  That was my goal I set for the team in terms of OOC sked.  Ball St. won two games there back in 2001 with Bonzi Wells.  All I know about for 2017 is a visit to the Stan Sheriff Center at the University of Hawai'i-Manoa, here on the island of O'ahu...  Hey -- at least you didn't write like a Kent State media release a few years ago -- "The Golden Flashes women's soccer team is set to arrive this morning on the Big Island of O'ahu"  LOL!

Sorry. I got it mixed up with the Diamond Head classic in Honolulu.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:51 PM, lilroodude said:

Akron. Between the tournament (USC guaranteed), Dayton, Marshall, and whomever else we add, it's gonna be a pretty solid OOC schedule for Akron. 

Two things with Duquesne and their schedule...

- Dambrot is now in the A10, which means to get to 20 wins he's gonna need cupcakes in the OOC portion of the season.

- We'll see if the "poison" that hindered Akron's Strength of Schedule and ability to schedule tougher teams, is still in Akron, or if it traveled to Pittsburgh. :rolleyes:

Understanding Duquesne MBB’s weak non-conference slate

http://www.duqsm.com/understanding-duquesne-mbbs-weak-non-conference-slate/