2017-2018

UAZip0510

22 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Understanding Duquesne MBB’s weak non-conference slate

http://www.duqsm.com/understanding-duquesne-mbbs-weak-non-conference-slate/

To be fair they are coming off a 10-22 season and, due to so many transfers, will be rolling with 9 scholarship players in year one.  Couple those factors along with what will be a tough conference schedule and it makes a ton of sense to schedule a weak non-conference slate this year.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, UAZip0510 said:

To be fair they are coming off a 10-22 season and, due to so many transfers, will be rolling with 9 scholarship players in year one.  Couple those factors along with what will be a tough conference schedule and it makes a ton of sense to schedule a weak non-conference slate this year.

I liked your post, even though you all know how much I begged for Keith to challenge so many of his Akron teams during the OOC portion of the schedule. 

There's certainly a time to go weak in the OOC.  Limited personnel and a tough conference schedule this year makes sense.  

If his teams over there ever get really good and/or the conference gets softer, I will call him out again for not challenging his team.   And if we get back to top form, and start rolling in a weak MAC, I'll certainly jump on our own lack of a strong OOC to challenge our own guys too.  

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, zippy5 said:

There's no to be fair here.. I didn't think he could come up with an easier non-conference schedule, but he did it. Good for him I guess. Go Zips.

I mean I guess if you're looking to take shots at KD you can, but I'm not sure any coach in America would load up his schedule this year given the factors presented.

19 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

Some of you sound like bitter exes ?

There were the same complaints when he was here. Do you think Groce is making this year's schedule too strong? The Zips are largely in a rebuilding year under similar circumstances and our OOC blows their out of the water (and we only know half of it).

• Like 1

If you're in the camp that believes that Akron can force high majors or elite mid-majors to schedule Akron, and if they don't they're just not trying hard enough, OR you're sick of creampuff HBCs, you might want to look away for this one (December 16th):

http://mvsusports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Also on the @D1Docket's spreadsheet.

Edited by mrelegazna
misplaced comma

2 hours ago, mrelegazna said:

If you're in the camp that believes that Akron can force high majors or elite mid-majors to schedule Akron, and if they don't they're just not trying hard enough, OR you're sick of creampuff HBCs, you might want to look away for this one (December 16th):

http://mvsusports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Also on the @D1Docket's spreadsheet.

Keith Dambrot thanks you for the heads up on Tougaloo College  and Rust College. Look for them on future Duquesne schedules.

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2017 at 1:45 PM, LZIp said:

There were the same complaints when he was here. Do you think Groce is making this year's schedule too strong? The Zips are largely in a rebuilding year under similar circumstances and our OOC blows their out of the water (and we only know half of it).

How bout the conference schedule?

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:07 AM, LZIp said:

Mississippi Valley State, that's 8 of ~13. Really don't know why we are waiting so long to release the schedule.

Ran a quick search, and the press release for the 16/17 schedule came out on 8/23/16, so we're right on par.

Not going to start a new thread, but during our AD Ryan Bamfords Q & A on facebook, mention we have a future Basketball home and home series. Said some complementary things about Akron in regards to the MAC. Also noted we will be independent through 2021 as the schedule will be complete soon. It's an hour long and towards the end.  See 41 minute mark and sounded like years 2020-2021

Interesting in the Boston Herald article talks about being independent and this quote. Notice the bolded text and note ruling out the MAC down the road, like 6 years or near the end of the present TV Media contract with ESPN.

RE: UMass Football 
Write-up by Stephen Hewitt - Boston Herald with AD Ryan Bamford titled "UMass ‘comfortable’ without conference"

Quote:For now, though, Bamford is comfortable going it alone as an independent program.

UMass is now in Year 2 without a conference home. And Bamford, who said he has not had talks with any conference commissioners since leaving the Mid-American Conference, is just fine with that.

Financially, Bamford is confident that life as an independent will work as he waits for what he hopes will be a desirable conference home.

“I was concerned about it being sustainable,” Bamford admits about the finances. “I foresee it, based on our forecasting, being sustainable for as long as we want to be an independent.”

The ultimate goal, Bamford said, still is to get into a conference, but with conference realignment at a standstill, he’s had to change gears.

That means controlling what he can control and not worrying about a ripple effect of what might happen if a conference like the Big 12, which scuttled a potential expansion last year, were to grow. Instead, Bamford will focus on making the UMass program better so that when a league is looking for new members, UMass is an attractive option.

“Once we found out the Big 12 wasn’t going to make their moves, we totally shifted our focus,” Bamford said. “Even though I still have an ear to the ground and I’m listening and making sure that we’re understanding what might happen, I’m more focused on building a winning football program. That in and of itself is going to help us get into a football conference more than anything else.”

In some ways, Bamford believes UMass is in a better position than some conferences. What’s the appeal of a lower-level conference like the Sun Belt or Conference USA, for example, when the competition and payouts are middling and the “rivals” are nowhere close to New England?

As an independent, Bamford has more scheduling flexibility and more opportunities to line up “guarantee” games that give his program the big paydays it needs to stay financially sustainable. In 2020, for example, UMass will play at Auburn for a record $1.9 million. If the Minutemen hadn’t jumped up to the top tier of college football, Bamford said that number would be $350,000.

Edited by Steve1981

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:43 PM, Steve1981 said:

Not going to start a new thread, but during our AD Ryan Bamfords Q & A on facebook, mention we have a future Basketball home and home series. Said some complementary things about Akron in regards to the MAC. Also noted we will be independent through 2021 as the schedule will be complete soon. It's an hour long and towards the end.  See 41 minute mark and sounded like years 2020-202

Your football team is favored over the defending Hawai'i Bowl champions tonight!  Good thing we got you out of the MAC East!  LOL  :P