2017-2018

UAZip0510

4 hours ago, zippyfan34 said:

Alright Skip you talked me out of it.  I will change it to 5-6 after doing further research.  The league switched to the 18 game schedule 3 years ago.

• 2016 - Akron had 5 losses
  • 2015 - CM, Buffalo, Kent had 6 losses
  • 2014 - WM, Toledo had 4 losses

So I guess I see the league similar to 2015 in terms of parity.

Good research.  I was actually just guessing that there was probably not a champ with 7 losses.  I might not have even guessed that there was a champ with 6 losses.  But the 18 game schedule certainly makes that possible.  

anyone attending practices, if so, do we have any walk-ons who might contribute.  I like O-poke's athletisism,but last season he would get 3 fouls in five minutes-hope we have adequate backup for him.  Big scoring load on Utomi and Ivey and we lost most of our 3 pt shooters- hope we have someone to replace their loss

I posted this in another thread, and I'll copy it over here.

34 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

"Nope. 10 wins is a horrible by pretty much anyone but Dan Hipsher's post-Crawford standards.

I'll expect .500 basketball, and hope for better."

I think this is about right. 

For comparison, John Groce went 15-17 (7-9 in the MAC) in his first year at OU. He had 11 players ON THE ROSTER that year, and I think only 9 could play (2 redshirts/transfers). The MAC that year was deeper than it is now, with all of the East Division - minus OU - finishing at 10-6 or better in the MAC. The following year Groce lost 6 players from the previous season, with the class of Baltic/Cooper/Horne/Keely/Kinney replacing them. They proceeded to go 22-15 (7-9 in the MAC), oh yeah, and they advanced to the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament after knocking off Georgetown.

Akron has 12 players on the roster that can play, 15 total. Now, it's a very young team, but that doesn't change who the coach is. I'm expecting around 15-17 wins, and am optimistic we could possibly sneak into the 20s. I don't consider the MAC to be as deep or as strong as it was back then. 

• Like 1

Buffalo loses to Rhode Island  There is a new rule this year that allows you to play an extra exhibition game if its for "charity".  Buffalo took advantage by getting to play a quality program in Rhode Island.  Duquense on the other hand used it to play power Chatham.  Not sure when this rule got implemented and why we didn't take advantage.

14 hours ago, zippyfan34 said:

Buffalo loses to Rhode Island  There is a new rule this year that allows you to play an extra exhibition game if its for "charity".  Buffalo took advantage by getting to play a quality program in Rhode Island.  Duquense on the other hand used it to play power Chatham.  Not sure when this rule got implemented and why we didn't take advantage.

You would figure it would be something we would take advantage of. However, I did see that we are having, and will be one of the few MAC schools having 2 scrimmages rather than the normal 1. Maybe that;s taking the place of the extra exhibition game?

• Like 1

I would guess Olojakpoke and Kostelac. They are the two others that have experience playing at a level above high school (only slightly above in Kostelac's case). I believe Utomi will start at the 3, but play the majority of the game at the 4 as the Zips are super short on front court players.  

Edited by UAZippers
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gozips19 said:

Man that is a very small and quick starting 5. I think Poke will do much better in Groce's system. High pick and rolls suite him much more than playing on the block.  

Small in the frontcourt, but that is probably our tallest backcourt in quite a while. The shortest player is Duvivier who is listed at 6'2". It is going to be strange after seeing two players 6' or under on the court at pretty much all times for the Zips last season.