2017-2018

UAZip0510

9 hours ago, LZIp said:

Anyone attend the golf outing yesterday? If so, any interesting info to share?

Groce has brought a nutritionist onto the staff to work with the players. There has also been an emphasis on strength and fitness training. Every player on the team has seen significant improvements in BMI and other biometrics. As an example Daniel Utomi dropped from 18% to 11% fat which allowed him to increase his vertical jump by 10 inches. 

• Like 4

A 10 inch increase in vertical jump is nothing short of incredible. If coach can increase every player's performance like that we are making the big dance for sure.

19 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Groce has brought a nutritionist onto the staff to work with the players. There has also been an emphasis on strength and fitness training. Every player on the team has seen significant improvements in BMI and other biometrics. As an example Daniel Utomi dropped from 18% to 11% fat which allowed him to increase his vertical jump by 10 inches. 

Seriously? :eek:

6 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Last year, I saw a guy who could lead the team in scoring by the time he was a Senior.

With everything that's happened, I now see a guy who WILL lead the team in scoring his SOPHOMORE year.  

I'm a big of a Utomi fan as anyone, though he did seem to drop off as the season went on. He could definitely end up leading the team, just don't forget about Ivey.

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Rest assured that the previous staff was well aware of Big Dog's weight, and his assets/liabilities at that size, and did plenty to try to improve the situation.  

I'm sure they did. Poor Big Dog's just one of those guys who'll tip the scales at over 500lbs. shortly after his playing days are through.

Edited by Blue & Gold

37 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I've never heard of such a thing. It's near miraculous.

I hear you.  My guess is the same as the others.  It must have been very poor.  Who knows why.  I don't think you can attribute that kind of "leap" to a 7% drop in body fat, like the post indicates previously.

Even in the 70s as teenagers playing basketball, we knew what kinds of machines and exercises we needed to work on to improve our vertical.   I had a machine called a Leaper (does anyone else remembers it?) that spent a lot of time in my garage back then.  

I'm puzzled that he wouldn't have been working on maxing out his vertical long ago, knowing that he had potential D-I talent.  

Edited by skip-zip

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Rest assured that the previous staff was well aware of Big Dog's weight, and his assets/liabilities at that size, and did plenty to try to improve the situation.  

I'm sure they were aware. I was more so referring to how quickly this nutritionist aided Utomi in getting results. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm sure they were aware. I was more so referring to how quickly this nutritionist aided Utomi in getting results. 

I was trying to point out that using your resources to foster healthy eating among your athletes is not new to D-I college athletics.  

I'm glad Daniel cut some body fat.  But attributing this to miraculous gains in physical performance would be bizarre.  And as a few others have pointed out (and I can attest), jumping 10" higher than they were a few months ago would be miraculous.   

23 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I was trying to point out that using your resources to foster healthy eating among your athletes is not new to D-I college athletics.  

I'm glad Daniel cut some body fat.  But attributing this to miraculous gains in physical performance would be bizarre.  And as a few others have pointed out (and I can attest), jumping 10" higher than they were a few months ago would be miraculous.   

This is why I am hesitant to post information like I did here for public comsumption. If you want to call the coach a liar go for it. What I described in my initial post is what happened because of hard work and dedication by Daniel, not some sort of miracle. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

If you want to call the coach a liar go for it.

Nobody here has disputed what was SAID.  

There's  plenty that I choose not to post as well.  Use your own judgement.  I don't blame you.  I just wouldn't anticipate that something like this wouldn't be commented about by people who know something about such a subject.  

21 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

This is why I am hesitant to post information like I did here for public comsumption. If you want to call the coach a liar go for it. What I described in my initial post is what happened because of hard work and dedication by Daniel, not some sort of miracle. 

I wasn't disputing this, Hilltopper. I was just trying to say it's awesome!

On 8/28/2017 at 4:39 PM, skip-zip said:

My comment wasn't directed towards Big Dog gaining a 10" vertical. It was about how the nutritionist aided Utomi in trimming his body fat from 18% to 11%. Hilltopper said the nutritionist was brought onto the staff and that he has noticed an increased focus on strength and fitness training. He also stated everyone on the team has made noticeable improvements in those areas. Clearly this staff is doing something that last years staff wasn't when players are making these kind of gains in 1 offseason.

Edited by kreed5120

On 8/26/2017 at 4:43 PM, Z.I.P. said:

Your football team is favored over the defending Hawai'i Bowl champions tonight!  Good thing we got you out of the MAC East!  LOL  :P

Let us know if you hear anything as there is a hint that this could be packaged with a few football games. 

On 8/28/2017 at 1:00 PM, skip-zip said:

Even in the 70s as teenagers playing basketball, we knew what kinds of machines and exercises we needed to work on to improve our vertical.   I had a machine called a Leaper (does anyone else remembers it?) that spent a lot of time in my garage back then.  

I remember the Leaper.  Our school had one in the 80's.  Hated it...but it worked.