2017-2018

UAZip0510

• 2 weeks later...

I like it. Let's keep an edge to this team. I think they will surprise the rest of the East and be playing well come tournament time. We probably deserve a #4 but we will be better than that once coach Groce gets his culture established.

• Like 2

Fourth in pre-season/first in Cleveland:D.  I expect to see a team that gets back on defense, goes for steals even when we aren't behind by 15, and will attempt to stop dribble penetration.  I also expect maybe a 15-15 team with some surprise wins rather than another 20+ win season with no marquee wins.

Edited by NWAkron

34 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Fourth in pre-season/first in Cleveland:D.  I expect to see a team that gets back on defense, goes for steals even when we aren't behind by 15, and will attempt to stop dribble penetration.  I also expect maybe a 15-15 team with some surprise wins rather than another 20+ win season with no marquee wins.

Could you please describe what this will look like?  I've never seen that (from a UA team).:rofl:

• Like 1

A little surprised that Buffalo was picked with that overwhelming majority.  I was expecting maybe Kent to lead the way with around 12 first place votes, with the rest pretty evenly spread between Buffalo, Ohio, and Akron in the east.  I still think we have a chance at 20 wins as I am a homer and I think there will be a lot of parity in the MAC this year.  I think 6-7 losses in league play could be in line to win the east.

51 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

I still think we have a chance at 20 wins as I am a homer and I think there will be a lot of parity in the MAC this year. 

Nothing wrong with being a homer.  But realistically, where do you think we should EXPECT to finish, considering our lack of personnel, and a coach with a 71-83 conference mark in his 9 years of coaching?  

Edited by skip-zip

Just now, zipnetter55 said:

all you dambrot bashers will be wishing for those 21 win seasons.  this has the makings of a 10-12 win season.  we are thin at all positions and 1 or 2 injuries could spell disaster  be careful what you wish for

I think most will agree it will be a tougher than normal season, and that really has nothing to do with Groce considering there wasn't much talent left to begin with and Dambrot did his fair share of poaching.

I have no idea what this season will bring.  My expectations are very low but I think there is an opportunity for great success.  I really like Utomi, Ivey and Olajapoke and if some of the newcomers can step in and play well, we may be in for a very pleasant surprise.  If we lose a lot, at least we have that new scoreboard.

Edited by K92
  • Like 1

I don't know where this information coming from Dambrot didn't actually take no  talent with him what team were you watching the talent  that stayed and the talent we added is probably the best athletic team Akron has seen for a while. There is no shortage of talent on this team , even Eubanks has a prominent roll on this team which I couldn't understand why he didn't last year because last season beside IVEY , and UTOMI  EUBANKS was third most athletic on this team period! ZIPS FANS AND THE REST OF THE LEAGUE ARE GOING TO BE SUPRISED ON HOW QUICK THIS TEAM GELS AND RISE BACK TO THE TOP OF THE MAC!!!!!!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, zipnetter55 said:

all you dambrot bashers will be wishing for those 21 win seasons.  this has the makings of a 10-12 win season.  we are thin at all positions and 1 or 2 injuries could spell disaster  be careful what you wish for

I don't recall many posters WISHING for what happened with Coach D leaving.....we all know this is not likely to be a 20 win season, so get off your high horse and watch some b-ball.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I think the winner having an 11-7 record would be embarrassing for the league.  Lets hope you're wrong on that one :D

Alright Skip you talked me out of it.  I will change it to 5-6 after doing further research.  The league switched to the 18 game schedule 3 years ago.

• 2016 - Akron had 5 losses
  • 2015 - CM, Buffalo, Kent had 6 losses
  • 2014 - WM, Toledo had 4 losses

So I guess I see the league similar to 2015 in terms of parity.

I probably have seen more zip games ,dating back to 1951, so don't lecture me about going to games. I like the Groce hire, I'm simply pointing out that we had a great run under K.D. and he is greatly admired and respected in the coaching community.  What he "poached" was Dunn-Martin and Hughes, neither a big loss, the other departures, who knows?   Groce inherited a tough situation and seemingly recruited well, next season when he has a full roster, we'll see how well he can coach, in the meantime quit bashing one of the most successful coaches in the country

There aren't high expectations for the team this year, but I do think they have some talent to surprise us.

The thing is, IMO, the MAC is not scary at all this year. The exodus of talent from the conference after last season is well documented. I looked at the pre-season all MAC teams and came away unimpressed. Thompson IV (EMU), Wilder (WMU), and Walker (KSU) seem like the 3 best players. After that............a huge meh.

5 hours ago, NWAkron said:

^This. I do expect the 20 win Streak to end, but this might be the most Working Class Team that anyone has seen in a very long time. I might be wrong in this, but there should be some surprises starting in January......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zipnetter55 said:

I probably have seen more zip games ,dating back to 1951, so don't lecture me about going to games. I like the Groce hire, I'm simply pointing out that we had a great run under K.D. and he is greatly admired and respected in the coaching community.  What he "poached" was Dunn-Martin and Hughes, neither a big loss, the other departures, who knows?   Groce inherited a tough situation and seemingly recruited well, next season when he has a full roster, we'll see how well he can coach, in the meantime quit bashing one of the most successful coaches in the country

Is this you, Dad??