2017-2018

UAZip0510

1 hour ago, lilroodude said:

One thing you should know about Can't (Kent) State: their bird mascot has teeth. 

Yep, I see what you're saying there. A bird with teeth doesn't make a lot of sense. But I knew I had seen that somewhere before. And here you go, the Iowa Hawkeye mascot has teeth as well. What is this world coming to?!

Iowa Hawkeye.jpg

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would have never of guessed him to win this award before this week. He played 42 minutes of fantastic basketball. That being said, the Zips will need for him to play smarter and avoid constantly being in foul trouble if we are to succeed this year. We are thin all over the place and as the saying goes, your best ability is your availability.

• Like 1

The thing I like best about Poke is that he gets it all out of effort.  Don't get me wrong, he's a freak raw athlete with his size and jumping ability, but it is obvious that the game is relatively new to him and does not come naturally.  He counters that "awkwardness" by just pure effort, hard play and soaking in all he can from the coaches.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Who would have thought we would have seen this at the beginning of the year? Go Poke!

At the beginning of the year: no. But after seeing Groce's offense and how the big men are coached, this doesn't surprise me. There is a lot of off-the-ball movement, back cuts, and slip screens that lead to easy points in the paint. Additionally - as I've mentioned in other posts - the strength at which our forwards go up is terrific. EMan has really found himself in a good situation all of a sudden, seemingly always finding the space behind the defense to get open. 

As Clark stated, his effort is nothing short of awesome. I will NEVER get upset with Olojakpoke as long as he's pouring in the constant effort we've all seen thus far. Keep it up!

On a side note, this is the second MAC East Division Player of the Week honor for a Zip in this young season. That's promising. 

Edited by lilroodude
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

Pokeman (!) hit a jump shot! I didn't think he could do that. Another dimension. Too bad we don't get points for jumping over the scoreboard.

How about Pok-E-man?

I did see that first 12 footer by Pok-E-man last game and got all excited. It's just the start of things to come from all of our bigs.

• Like 1