Just my Thoughts

ZIPSMOM2

My regrets regarding the pendulum swing of comments here.  We certainly all would have preferred a different result last night.  It's always amazing how the emotions on a forum get directed at the players when things don't go perfectly.  It's as if some fans think the players and coaches didn't want to win as badly as we wanted to see them win.  It's ludicrous, and not unique to ZN.O.

You've lots to be proud of about your son.  He's been a credit to our community, the jersey he wears and the university.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of many players at Akron who have won back to back MAC titles .. and Kwan is certainly among that select group, and a big reason they've won while he's been here.  

And that's a small thing compared to how he's succeeded as a student at the U.

I also send several of my youth basketball players to the summer camps at the University, including my own son.  I can tell you that all of the boys really love the camps, primarily because of the opportunity to get to know the players and learn the game from them.  Kwan is one of the ones the kids talk about when they come back after the camps.

This fan for one appreciates his efforts and sacrifice while on the Zips.  I look forward to following his continuing exploits, and hope to see him win his last game as a Zip. 

Go Zips!

• Like 5

As frustrated as I am with only winning 3 MACC games in 9 visits, I appreciate the comments below from Coach Dambrot last night. I appreciate his candidly accepting that it is his job to win. I hope and trust that he will continually evaluate what he and his staff are doing and can do better to increase their chances of being successful. (https://sportscripts.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/game-11-akron.pdf)

I also appreciate that he cares about the "kids"; I've talked with him enough to know he does. It's good to hear (read) him reiterate. I, unfortunately haven't made the time to get to know our basketball players, but I do appreciate them and that they chose to come and play for Akron; I wish them every success on and off the court. I hope that they will find a way to get past this disappointment and compete in the NIT even though it's not what any of us wanted. Always strive to do your best, whatever life hands you. Giving up is a poor choice.

...So if it was misconstrued, but I just wish sometimes that people would just under stand that I am a good person and that I care about kids. I really don't care what anybody else thinks, but I care about kids. ...

...That's a really good question. All I can say is, look, we've been good enough to get in the championship game year after year, and sometimes the ball hasn't bounced very well for us. I know the first time they banked in a 40 footer on us with a clock malfunction, I think we lost one overtime game to Ohio, we lose at the buzzer last year to Buffalo. The league is so close that like the year we pounded Ohio, right? I don't think we were that much better than Ohio, it was just a weird game, right? They got really good players and we just played well and they didn't. So I mean it's disappointing. You get there, that's the hard part about sports, right? When you're good, then you set yourself up for disappointments. If you're no good, there are no disappointments because you're never in the championship game, right? I think the hard part about athletics is unless you're careful, the lows, the lows last a lot longer than the highs. Even for me, like I have to fight that constantly. Think about the young people. We just lost two tough championship games in a row, and ultimately when we don't win the championship game, that's on me. Like my job's to win championship games, period. It's not on our players, it's on me. So luck, not luck, make your own luck. Obviously we just didn't play well enough tonight. But it's disappointing, yeah, and I probably won't talk to my wife for about three days, which is unfair to her, but I just won't feel like talking to anybody. Maybe I'll talk to my dog, because I don't know. Like I'm sick for my guys, I just feel bad for them, and that's the disappointing thing because of our league. I love our league. It's a great league, but it's so hard because it comes down to one game every year. Unfortunately, we've been in that one game a lot. It's the way it goes.

• Like 6