2017 MAC Media Day

Blue & Gold

4 hours ago, K92 said:

If only Cleveland had built a dome for the Browns. . .

I've got mixed feelings about it. It would be nice to get some more events because of having a dome. Hosting a Super Bowl would be a dream. I've heard people say that they f'ed it up by rushing and not putting a roof on it. I think I credit that to the normal Cleveland sports fan bitterness though (I am a Cleveland fan but like to think I'm different because I'm not technically from NEO). I don't think I've ever heard anyone say not putting a roof on Gillette, Lambeau, Lincoln Financial, Heinz, or Met Life was a mistake though.

Edited by LZIp

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

I've got mixed feelings about it. It would be nice to get some more events because of having a dome. Hosting a Super Bowl would be a dream. I've heard people say that they f'ed it up by rushing and not putting a roof on it. I think I credit that to the normal Cleveland sports fan bitterness though (I am a Cleveland fan but like to think I'm different because I'm not technically from NEO). I don't think I've ever heard anyone say not putting a roof on Gillette, Lambeau, Lincoln Financial, Heinz, or Met Life was a mistake though.

Most of the tenants at those stadiums win and so fans still show up.

• 3 months later...

Interesting offensive representative for the Zips ?

2017 MAC Football Media Day Head Coaches and Student Participants

MAC East Division

Akron Head Coach Terry Bowden; RB Warren Ball; S Zach Guiser

Bowling Green Head Coach Mike Jinks; LB Nate Locke; RB Donovan Wilson

Buffalo Head Coach Lance Leipold; QB Tyree Jackson; DE Demone Harris

Kent State Head Coach Paul Haynes; RB Nick Holley; DB Demetrius Monday

Miami Head Coach Chuck Martin; TBA; TBA

Ohio Head Coach Frank Solich; LB Quentin Poling; RB A.J. Ouellette

MAC West Division

Ball State Head Coach Mike Neu; RB James Gilbert; OL Vinnie Palazeti

Central Michigan Head Coach John Bonamego; TE Tyler Conklin; DL Joe Ostman

Eastern Michigan Head Coach Chris Creighton; QB Brogan Robach; DB Jason Beck

Northern Illinois Head Coach Rod Carey; DB Mycial Allen; OL Max Scharping

Toledo Head Coach Jason Candle; QB Logan Woodside; TBA

Western Michigan Head Coach Tim Lester; RB Jamauri Bogan; LB Asantay Brown

On 3/15/2017 at 10:03 AM, Blue & Gold said:

Due to construction at Ford Field, the 2017 MAC Media Day will be held at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  

I think holding it at the Hall of Fame is brilliant.  Could there be a better back-drop to launch a football season than the NFL shrine?  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That would be fantastic.  He is already in Canton, right?

Maybe this helps strengthen the media's recognition that great players do come from Akron/MAC.  

My question would be:

1) Are other media people there other than those that normally cover the MAC schools?

2) MIGHT other national media be there who might cover something like this if they are already doing HOF stories?

5 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

That would be fantastic.  He is already in Canton, right?

Maybe this helps strengthen the media's recognition that great players do come from Akron/MAC.  

My question would be:

1) Are other media people there other than those that normally cover the MAC schools?

2) MIGHT other national media be there who might cover something like this if they are already doing HOF stories?

Seems like a made-for-Sports-Center moment.  

10 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I've heard this somewhere before.

"I don't know if I would say important,'' coach Terry Bowden said of Ball in the backfield. "He is critical. If we can put the ball in his hands 30 times a game, it gives us a lot more time to get our answer to the quarterback question."

I will try to post some info from the Media Day later today. A couple quick notes:

As previously mentioned by other ZN.o members, Jest and King are out for 2017. It is planned that they attend a JUCO, and return to Akron in January. They had a GPA that was ok per NCAA standards, but fell short of the requirement to play at Akron. King's academic shortcomings were a bit of a surprise, as "..he never had any problems with grades at Miami."

Brian Bell is definitely with the Zips in 2017. If he's not on an official roster, I can't control it.

The loss of Jest and King isn't really seen as a deal-breaker. Jest needed to get into football shape, and King never played a down for the Zips anyhow...so it is tough to consider him a "loss." Newcomers Brimmage and Sampson are expected to make early impacts.

• Like 1