2017 MAC Media Day

Blue & Gold

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Does anybody even read print anymore? Seems like electronic delivery would be the way to go and obviously much cheaper.

Of course I graduated 5 years ago at this point...so the big debate back then was how to do the switch. It appears that they are now going full electronic.  But all I'll add to that point is our online revenue was 100x less than the paper print.  Not sure what their current model is.

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Balsy said:

The paper will be published in a primarily online format, but will also publish special print editions. The first print edition will be an issue welcoming students to the Fall semester.

“Continuing to publish in print is important to keep the paper’s connection with the community,” Julie Cajigas, the adviser of The Buchtelite, said. “I too am looking forward to working with the bright young individuals who have signed on for the paper’s return.”

2 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

The paper will be published in a primarily online format, but will also publish special print editions. The first print edition will be an issue welcoming students to the Fall semester.

“Continuing to publish in print is important to keep the paper’s connection with the community,” Julie Cajigas, the adviser of The Buchtelite, said. “I too am looking forward to working with the bright young individuals who have signed on for the paper’s return.”

I'm reading a little between the lines there.  Welcome Back Issue, Spring Housing Issue, so on and so forth will likely be their published issues (we always had big issues we planned months in advance, so we could line up advertisers).  The first issue and house issue brought in, alone, 12-25 k, with all the full page ads and so on.  I'll be paying attention for sure.

On 8/7/2017 at 1:55 PM, CDMac said:

No problem, sorry I missed some of your comments, so I may have not addressed some of them.  While I was on campus I was desperate to find access to more Zips anything...and was very upset that there was so little out there.  That drive eventually brought me to this forum, and started me with getting heavily involved on campus and ultimately with the Buchtelite.  I graduated in 2013, so I've been gone for some time now, but there's a lot of contracts the University has with companies that basically prohibits outside groups like The Buchtelite and ZTV from doing certain things, and it limits the creativity.  We wanted to handout copies of The Buchtelite at a game once, and wanted to focus on Football for that issue (we thought it would be great advertising for us) and were promptly shot down because it would be a violation of some contract, with some company, because all handed out stuff needed to be from their advertisers who pay them...or something.  Infuriating really, because we were a STUDENT organization.

Athletics had a, somewhat strained, relationship while I was there.  They didn't treat my photographers very nicely, and often refused to grant us field access or press passes...which limited what we could do.

What ZNO does amazes me, and the people here are wonderful, which is why I continue to come.  I've been feeling a little inspired lately.  In the offseason next year, I may dust off my pen again, and see if I can get access and start writing interviews and such here.  If you didn't know there is a MAC Blog called HustleBelt, which has put out some phenomenal content over the years.  They're amateurs, sometimes current students and recent former students.  Might be worth checking it out.

We're not a large family, but we're a bullish one that's for sure.

34 minutes ago, Balsy said:

If you didn't know there is a MAC Blog called HustleBelt, which has put out some phenomenal content over the years.  They're amateurs, sometimes current students and recent former students.  Might be worth checking it out.

We're not a large family, but we're a bullish one that's for sure.

Yes, I know of the HustleBelt SBNation site. I agree they put out a lot of great info.

Brainstorming ideas in ZNO would be a great way to flesh out ideas and see if any take root into something of substance.

Maybe between now and the offseason we can develop some ideas and maybe even plans for more coverage of the team in 2018.

I'm an amateur photographer and could possibly be available for some work in that regard and I fashion myself a writer; although I've never done any reporting.

Maybe it's just a matter of gaining some level of access to the team for the folks that would be inclined to be involved in that regard.

Hustlebelt is focused on the MAC as a whole, but there's also UBBullRun and OverThePylon, which are also SBNation sites dedicated to Buffalo and Ball State, respectively. If any Zips fan is hoping to get their feet wet in journalism, starting an Akron SBNation site and gathering a few contributors to ensure regularly posted content would probably be the easiest avenue, since it creates an instant partnership with the other MAC SBNation sites. I know there is at least one Zips fan that is already a regular Hustlebelt contributor.

• Like 1

I used to be one of the larger Hustlebelt advocates I feel, but I feel the quality has dropped significantly as of late. There are new people running it I believe and some of the old guys broke off and created something new. I think the twitter account is called MAC Prospectus. Not sure what their end goal is but they tweet recruiting updates regularly. I did see that Hustlebelt is looking for writers @Balsy

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, LZIp said:

I used to be one of the larger Hustlebelt advocates I feel, but I feel the quality has dropped significantly as of late. There are new people running it I believe and some of the old guys broke off and created something new. I think the twitter account is called MAC Prospectus. Not sure what their end goal is but they tweet recruiting updates regularly. I did see that Hustlebelt is looking for writers @Balsy

Yes I saw that.  I've also talked to them on several occasions before about writing for them.  Though it always seemed to fall through everytime I contacted them.  Funny you should post this...I was about to follow up on that again.