Zips at Texas-Arlington — NIT Round 2 (Mon 8 pm)

Dr Z

1 hour ago, zipfan84 said:

I think the committee decided first, and foremost, who the home teams were to be. 

I have a novel idea.  How about they give the Top 4 spots in each region to the best 4 teams?  Not the ones who think they are above all of it, and the committee is scared that they might turn down the bid if they aren't given a home game?

Let them all go home and watch the postseason, just once, and I'm sure they'd change their minds.  

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

I never said we were shooting for H&H with Duke, Kentucky, etc. What I said is many of those programs turn us down every year or not even return our calls when we are willing to just take their ~$90k check and play at their place.

I agree quality mid-majors scheduling quality mid-majors needs to become more of an occurrence. I have no idea why it isn't a more common practice not just at Akron, but everywhere else.

I don't think that I will be revealing a secret when I say that the main concern of the coaches is to maintain their jobs. For the most part, they are evaluated by the number of wins at the end of the season. Therefore, the number of wins is their biggest concern and they get to pick who they play against! That is a rigged system!!!

Imagine if kids go to school and are evaluated by taking exams that they get to write. Would they write any tough questions?

Or imagine if you and I go to work and get to pick our own duties and assignments? would we pick any tedious tasks?

4 minutes ago, Valpo Zip said:

I don't think that I will be revealing a secret when I say that the main concern of the coaches is to maintain their jobs. For the most part, they are evaluated by the number of wins at the end of the season. Therefore, the number of wins is their biggest concern and they get to pick who they play against! That is a rigged system!!!

Imagine if kids go to school and are evaluated by taking exams that they get to write. Would they write any tough questions?

Or imagine if you and I go to work and get to pick our own duties and assignments? would we pick any tedious tasks?

When discussing how we boast about our overall record, you could make this point.

But 18 games we played this year were completely out of our control (plus 3 more in Cleveland).  Isn't that something like 2/3 of our games?  If we sucked, those conference games where we can't choose the opponent, the date, or the time would have demonstrated that we sucked.  Instead, we we ran away with the conference race.  Ditto for 2015-2016.

43 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

When discussing how we boast about our overall record, you could make this point.

But 18 games we played this year were completely out of our control (plus 3 more in Cleveland).  Isn't that something like 2/3 of our games?  If we sucked, those conference games where we can't choose the opponent, the date, or the time would have demonstrated that we sucked.  Instead, we we ran away with the conference race.  Ditto for 2015-2016.

I was answering the question as of why midmajors don't schedule other tough midmajors.  

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

In a recent interview, I heard Jim Boeheim indicated the way he measures the success of any team is not by their record, it is by who they beat. That makes a lot of sense to me. 

P5 coaches tend to say things like that after they've missed the tournament.

I think it does make some sense.  It certainly shows the team at its best.

It should be noted that Syracuse played 10 out of 13 of their OOC games at the Carrier Dome and only left the state of New York for 1 OOC game. That game was against Wisconsin and wasn't even a game they scheduled. They were contractually obligated to play it as part of the B1G/ACC Challenge. Syracuse is the poster boys of trying to maximize their systematic advantage. Why do you think Boeheim was lobbying so hard to keep the ACC Tournament out of North Carolina?...It provides UNC, Duke, and NC State the advantage. 

Edited by kreed5120

6 hours ago, tboned said:

Like everyone else on this forum, I am extremely disappointed in how the season unfolded. I am certain there is not one person player or coach who is not exponentially more disappointed.

I thank the kids for choosing Akron. We’ve come a long way in the twelve years that KD has guided this team.  We as fans and Alums must step up and support our school and our Team.

Very good post. We as alumni/fans can get delusions of grandeur, wanting better facilities, better conferences, and tournament runs.

The reality is, we're not tOSU. Like the old saying, "it is what it is". We have high expectations for the programs, but they don't have the budget. The legacy. The fan base, being stuck in Buckeyeland.

Maybe instead of criticizing the Zips for playing so good in a "weak" conference, we should enjoy the ride against similar programs. Be comfortable in our own skin. 

Maybe it's time for some honest soul searching.

Edited by Spin

7 hours ago, zippy_ua_00 said:

Why? You consider the MAC to be a superior conference? If so I don't believe you've watched too many MAC basketball games

Funny. I have had season tickets for years and I never miss a game. I have watched a lot of MAC basketball since the mid 90's.

It is sad because the sun belt is not considered as good or any better of a league than the MAC. In fact, the MAC was rated the 11th best conference compared to 18 for the sun belt. We also have a "reputation" that espn likes to spout about us being a top mid-major. However, when we played a good team from a lessor conference we got smoked and the talent level wasn't even close. 

2 hours ago, Spin said:

The reality is, we're not tOSU.

Probably not a very good comparison considering the situation they are in right now, but I know what you are trying to say.

But this notion that "things are always going to be the way they are" stuff just isn't true.  Just a few short years ago when he took his first D-1 job, I'm sure someone told Shaka that VCU "was no Virginia".  And a few years before that, someone surely referenced Mark Few's team and said, "they aren't the Huskies".   I guess right now, Illinois State's success has to be tempered with "you aren't ever going to be the Illini".  And our opponent last night is certainly "not the Longhorns".  

But college basketball programs do sometimes move rapidly upward, and get national recognition, and more local attention and donors, and start defeating those very teams that everybody said that they don't measure up to.  These situations aren't miracles.  In fact, they aren't even improbable.  

33 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I guess right now, Illinois State's success has to be tempered with "you aren't ever going to be the Illini".  And our opponent last night is certainly "not the Longhorns".  

But college basketball programs do sometimes move rapidly upward, and get national recognition, and more local attention and donors, and start defeating those very teams that everybody said that they don't measure up to.  These situations aren't miracles.  In fact, they aren't even improbable.  

Illinois State has a Divison 1 football program, so they would be a good comparison.   VCU, Gonzaga, and UT Arlington don't have football.

29 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Illinois State has a Divison 1 football program, so they would be a good comparison.   VCU, Gonzaga, and UT Arlington don't have football.

Yeah, I wouldn't even say UTA and Illinois State have 'made it'. Both are having good seasons, but UTA hasn't made the NCAAT since 2008 and Illinois State 1998. A better example of a school working to become the next VCU or Gonzaga would be MTSU or Valpo.