Zips at Texas-Arlington — NIT Round 2 (Mon 8 pm)

Dr Z

I'm more than happy to see some seating surrendered at the JAR to improve the facility.  Other than the Kent game, they don't fill the seats they have and an improvement to the facility may result in a jump in attendance but it would be short lived.  My design strategy would be that no seat should be at a distance greater than a male cheerleader can throw a Gionino's t-shirt or a Taylor Made Jewelry mini-basketball. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm more than happy to see some seating surrendered at the JAR to improve the facility.  Other than the Kent game, they don't fill the seats they have and an improvement to the facility may result in a jump in attendance but it would be short lived.  My design strategy would be that no seat should be at a distance greater than a male cheerleader can throw a Gionino's t-shirt or a Taylor Made Jewelry mini-basketball. 

Based on some of the male cheerleaders we had this season, that would be about 10 feet.

• Like 2

The Zips are five point underdogs tonight. 

Brett likes the Zips and the points 

Odds Shark's computers predict the Zips to lose 70-73. "Rebounding is always a key in handicapping, and Akron is ranked No. 196 in NCAA. Contrast that with Texas-Arlington's No. 35 mark in the paint."

Elton Alexander writes The Zips are looking to continue their road success.

"I've been gone so long I feel like a pro coach,'' Akron coach Keith Dambrot said. And he notes the players are out of their comfort zone as well. "They're about ready to lose their minds.''......"They're going to be challenging. They're big and have a really good point guard Dambrot said. The Mavericks will have a lot of bodies to throw at the 6-10, 290-pound Johnson as five players stand between 6-8 and 7-1. The team has three double-figure scorers and three more that score better than eight points a game."

George Thomas gets KD on the phone for some discussion about Texas-Arlington yesterday.

"There could be a wild card for the Zips in this game. Center Isaiah “Big Dog” Johnson tweaked his knee against the Cougars."

3 hours ago, Dr Z said:

George Thomas gets KD on the phone for some discussion about Texas-Arlington yesterday.

"There could be a wild card for the Zips in this game. Center Isaiah “Big Dog” Johnson tweaked his knee against the Cougars."

Kwan's play is a "wild card." I don't think an injury is?

I'll speculate George is just acting like he did some investigative reporting, and Dog is fine. 

• Like 1

CPC has completely sold out three times, all of them concerts

Nice arena. Shame despite having an enrollment of nearly 40,000 and basketball being the schools #1 sport, they don't have a football team, they've never filled the arena to capacity for a basketball game (seats 7,000). 

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Are those Suites at the mid-level on the sides?  If so, it seems perfect.  And folks...this is a SUN BELT arena.  And I've personally been in another Sun Belt arena, and it's much larger and nicer than ours as well.  

The only suite is at that level on the other side of the arena that houses the donors. I wish this board didn't have restrictions on how many photos you can post. I have a bunch more.